Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HOT FUZZ: The Forum Reviews
seanyseanybean
post Apr 24 2007, 04:04 PM
Post #136

Guests

I think my review was perhaps a little harsh but i felt the need to balance some of the opinions here. I did enjoy the film, but i still think it deserves critism. For me it's not in the same league as SOTD. I feel it is 'dumbed down' for the new found wide audience left in the wake of SOTD.

Thanks for all the replies, and thank you for not just being avid nutriders and dismissing my points.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rebelstar
post Apr 24 2007, 05:21 PM
Post #137

'ullo!

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 6,134

They'll be along later, I'm sure...

+Quote Post
AusChick
post Apr 25 2007, 12:04 AM
Post #138

Addict

Member No.: 2,347

^ hehehe
Now, now. We're all sensible folks around here.
Sort of.

I actually found it very funny. I had jaw-ache after the first time I saw it.
But everyone has different senses of humour.
And you're never going to make a film which will please anyone.

It's good to hear a different point of view though.

Seems a slightly odd place to start for a first post though Seany.
Come and say hi in the new members thread, yeah?

+Quote Post
Omniscia
post Apr 25 2007, 02:18 AM
Post #139

Candygram!

Member No.: 2,452

Well, having given it a few days to sink in, I find that many of my initial feelings still stand.

Technically, it was a fine film, very well shot; it's got the Wright stuff, baby. The environs portrayed therein were captured remarkably well by the lens, with real weight and authenticity.

I'm just not sure how much fun I had. For one, the pacing was a bit off. The prologue seemed lifted from a trailer for the prequel, with a testosterone-soaked voiceover narration hinting at the marvelous exploits of a London supercop which we were never to see. I wanted to know more about Nick Angel than, A: He's good, and B: He's really good, and if he is indeed really good, I wanted to see that with my own eyes! He needs a good, albeit brief, origin story, like the beginning of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade -- something that can set up the character and introduce key elements and segue effortlessly into the main piece.

The latter midpoint, when the slasher started galavating about town, was the strongest of the film. There was some genuine tension there, and the natural progression of the story rolled along at optimal speed.

The finale, though, went a bit too fast. Too many shots, too many quick-cuts, too much editing, and too frantic camera angles add up to a climax that's more confusing than it is thrilling, because it's too difficult to follow what's happening. I guess that would be the Michael Bay influence, though.

Throughout the film, more than a few of the jokes seemed a bit forced, and a bit repetitive. Okay, so everyone on up the chain of command in London asks officer Angel how his hand is. So what? So Timothy Dalton likes hamming it up and making grisly, thinly-veiled threats? So what? So the Sandford PD believes in offenders quite literally being served their "just desserts." So what?

It was often too overtly referential, to the detriment of the film. The ending of Point Break was referenced way too often during the course of events to be anything but a setup for the finale, and repeating jokes from Shaun of the Dead just seemed self-congratulatory. I want more subtextual humour, damn it!

Granted, there were some brilliant moments of that. Angel and Butterman's late-night heart-to-heart was a stirring testament to the love shared by all buddy-cops, and I'm fairly certain that, at least in one brief scene, the spirit of Chinatown descended upon the film.

The revelation that the community theatre was staging an adaptation of Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet was completely unexpected and all the more hilarious for it.

All told, I think it was a fine film, in theory, which needs to speed up its first act and slow down its finale, and lose a few of the more tired gags before it can really measure up.

In my book, the best genre satire of the past 10 years is still Galaxy Quest.

+Quote Post
seanyseanybean
post Apr 25 2007, 12:19 PM
Post #140

Guests

QUOTE (AusChick @ Apr 25 2007, 12:04 AM)
^ hehehe
Now, now.  We're all sensible folks around here.
Sort of.

I actually found it very funny.  I had jaw-ache after the first time I saw it.
But everyone has different senses of humour.

It's good to hear a different point of view though.

Seems a slightly odd place to start for a first post though Seany.
Come and say hi in the new members thread, yeah?

hello, sorry i didnt mean to come accross as looking to stir trouble. I was just lurking and was quite suprised to see the lack of critism the film was getting.

+Quote Post
AusChick
post Apr 25 2007, 01:22 PM
Post #141

Addict

^ Nah it's OK. I just thought it was a slightly odd way to start.

There has been a bit of criticism about - but not much on this forum certainly.
I guess most of us just geniunely liked it! I know I did. Do.

Anyway - welcome aboard!

+Quote Post
thirtyhelens
post Apr 25 2007, 06:05 PM
Post #142

Toasty

Member No.: 2,939

QUOTE (Omniscia @ Apr 24 2007, 06:18 PM)
I'm fairly certain that, at least in one brief scene, the spirit of Chinatown descended upon the film.

You're only fairly certain? Shame, Erik, that one should have smacked you in the face. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Starscream`s Gho...
post Apr 25 2007, 08:26 PM
Post #143

Alley Viper

Member No.: 3,024

QUOTE (seanyseanybean @ Apr 24 2007, 05:04 PM)
I think my review was perhaps a little harsh but i felt the need to balance some of the opinions here. I did enjoy the film, but i still think it deserves critism.

Don't think I'm stemming criticism here, but did you really expect there to be harsh criticism of a film starring Pegg and Frost and directed by Wright on a Spaced website?

I mean, I know there are fan sites which slag films off left, right and centre (Seibertron.com, anyone?), but c'mon. The film was always going to be well-liked, unless it took a turn south of The Abyss-like proportions.

+Quote Post
AusChick
post Apr 26 2007, 12:28 AM
Post #144

Addict

That Chinatown line in HF cracks me up every time I see it now.

Basically every time I've been no-one has laughed at that. I guess people aren't recognising the reference. Or they are all still stunned silent by the dramatic scenes that proceed it.

But the first two screenings I went to were both with my bf who really likes the line and was the only one laughing very loudly in an otherwise quiet cinema.

So now, the though of that makes me laugh as much as the joke itself.
It's become a meta-joke

+Quote Post
Anni
post Apr 26 2007, 04:32 AM
Post #145

OI OI!

Member No.: 6,201

what is the chinatown line?

I haven't seen that movie.

+Quote Post
AusChick
post Apr 26 2007, 05:24 AM
Post #146

Addict

^ The last (and possibly most famous) line in the movie Chinatown is "Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown"

Which is mirrored in HF when Danny says "Forget it Nicholas, it's Sandford"

QUOTE (AusChick @ Apr 25 2007, 12:04 AM)
I really should proof-read my own posts a bit better. I'm sure I meant to say "You're never going to make a film which will please EVERYONE" not ANYONE.

Yes, good one Sarah. Making a lot of sense here. You'll never make a film which will please anyone. Right. So precisely how is the multi-million dollar film industry going along then??? wacko.gif

+Quote Post
dolfyn
post Apr 26 2007, 05:26 AM
Post #147

Blood's thicker than water, but blood leaves a stain.

Member No.: 4,984

QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Apr 26 2007, 06:26 AM)
Don't think I'm stemming criticism here, but did you really expect there to be harsh criticism of a film starring Pegg and Frost and directed by Wright on a Spaced website?
I mean, I know there are fan sites which slag films off left, right and centre (Seibertron.com, anyone?), but c'mon. The film was always going to be well-liked, unless it took a turn south of The Abyss-like proportions.

Well, that's the thing, isn't it? People tend to think we all have a distorted or blinkered view of anything these guys do because we're their fans; but whole reason we're fans is because the work they produce is something we can relate to! happy.gif

I, for one, was impressed with SOTD, then sought out other stuff they'd done; I liked that too, & as a result became a fan of the guys themselves. I don't think any of us are blind followers, though. For example, a while back I checked out a trailer & some info about Free Jimmy, which Simon lent his voice & script-writing skills to. From what I saw, it wasn't something that appealed to my tastes, so I probably won't be bothering to watch it. If I did, I know I probably wouldn't like it much. Just because I have a fan-crush on Simon & have loved most of the work he's produced, it doesn't mean I'll rabidly defend everything he does. rolleyes.gif

As for Hot Fuzz, I genuinely love the movie for many reasons. I think the guys have delivered a funny, clever action movie. Why some people are looking for a deeper intellectual message or social commentary, is beyond me. They've never promoted it as anything more than an action movie that is "dumb fun". I think Hot Fuzz is actually better than that. It's at the clever end of the action movie genre. cool.gif

I honestly hope that Pegg & co never produce something that disappoints me; but judging by their track record so far, I'd say it's unlikely they would. I feel I'm on the same wave-length as these guys, which is why I love what they do. wub.gif

*steps off soapbox*

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Anni
post Apr 26 2007, 05:38 AM
Post #148

OI OI!

Member No.: 6,201

Nice post there Gen. I agree.

Also... Can you really expect really deep and meaningful observations about society and stuff like that, in a movie where Simon dropkicks an old lady?

It's dumb fun, people!

As well as some very well placed and witty comments too. wink.gif

+Quote Post
seanyseanybean
post Apr 26 2007, 01:15 PM
Post #149

Guests

QUOTE (Anni @ Apr 26 2007, 05:38 AM)
Nice post there Gen. I agree.

Also... Can you really expect really deep and meaningful observations about society and stuff like that, in a movie where Simon dropkicks an old lady?

It's dumb fun, people!

As well as some very well placed and witty comments too.  wink.gif

exactly. Dumb fun. Nothing else they have done previously could be considered dumb fun.

+Quote Post
seanyseanybean
post Apr 26 2007, 01:19 PM
Post #150

Guests

QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Apr 25 2007, 08:26 PM)

well i would expect fans of Spaced and co. to see why HF was not up to the same standard as opposed to just loving it because of who is in it.

(and most ppl here do seem pretty open minded to be fair, i still think it could use a bit more constructive critism tho wink.gif )

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 08:08 AM