IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Winchester (Duke Of Albany) IN RUINS!!! :(, A sad sight that I caught on my travels.
LoPan01
post Jul 11 2006, 12:39 AM
Post #1

Guests

Today, myself and a friend went on a small journey, a pilgrimage (if you like), to view various locations from my favourite sitcom (Spaced) and one of my favourite movies (Shaun Of The Dead). The day went great to start off with. We went to visit 23 Meteor Street, as it is known in Spaced, which we got some great snaps of. This one's of me.

Then, while making our way forth, we spot no other than Vince from The Mighty Boosh (Noel Fielding), standing on the platform at Camden Town Station. We track him down and ask him for a picture. He agrees, and my mate jumps into the frame with him.

The day, so far, couldn't be going better. Finally, we decide that our last stop will be New Cross, to check out the pub, The Duke Of Albany, which was used as the exterior shots of The Winchester in Shaun Of The Dead. Our day was almost entirely ruined, when we saw the state in which the pub was in.

It was in such a bad state, the red phonebox just outside (where you see a zombie girl chowing down on her partner), smelt like piss on the inside.
As we were taking pictures, this gentleman (who lived round the corner) walked up to us and began talking about when the crew were filming Shaun Of The Dead. After hearing his cool anecdotes, he told us the future of The Duke Of Albany. That's right! You guessed it! FLATS!!! The place where Shaun and Co fought off a devastating army of the undead in their last stand, is being knocked down for a block of bloody flats. I mean, it's not like we're short of tower blocks in London, IS IT???!!! Lately, this has really gotten on my nerves, the fact that traditional British pubs, are being torn down and made way for housing, or being converted into a youth bar. These landmarks of British culture, should be preserved and enjoyed for many more years to come. I just hope it is not too late to say something about it.

So, if anyone has any plans of wanting to visit The Winchester, go now, before all you see is numbers, buzzers and another horrible addition to the London skyline.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Llama
post Jul 11 2006, 07:01 AM
Post #2

Learning to walk again

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,956

Oh man, I wanted to have a drink in there some day! I think I may have to push my friend and I's pilgrimage forward a bit too if they're due to tear it down.

Nice photos though, LoPan01. And welcome to the board!

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post Jul 11 2006, 07:36 AM
Post #3

Cent Dix-Sept

Member No.: 2,258

That did look like a grand day out, but shame about the pub. Still, I guess if you ended up living in one of the flats soon to replace it, you would technically be living in the Winchester...

+Quote Post
Jubei
post Jul 11 2006, 08:52 AM
Post #4

Meow

Member No.: 2,416

QUOTE (LoPan01 @ Jul 11 2006, 01:39 AM)
Our day was almost entirely ruined, when we saw the state in which the pub was in.

Well it was attacked by zombies! wink.gif It is a shame though.

+Quote Post
Spider Dijon
post Jul 11 2006, 02:10 PM
Post #5

Wordsmithe

Member No.: 5,333

I think the fact that we were having such a cool day was sort of like a warning to quit while we were ahead. That was such a shame the Duke was in ruins. Plus I thought it was going to be on the corner of a main road, rather at the edge of a counsil estate in new cross. But other than that it was a brilliant day. I seriously thought that the owner of 23 'meteor' street was calling the police when we were taking the pictures. Oh well. But a word to everyone out there planning to visit 'the Winchester': Do it sooner rather than later if your going to. Also, New Cross is a very dodgy area, be careful out there!

This post has been edited by Spider Dijon: Jul 11 2006, 02:12 PM

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Jul 11 2006, 02:33 PM
Post #6

OMNOMNOM

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 3,076

A scandalous accusation - I spent many a teenage year in New Cross and it's nothing but a lovely town....full of....um....

OK I can't defend New Cross. It is quite dodgy.

+Quote Post
Crutch
post Jul 11 2006, 02:41 PM
Post #7

No more smiling.

Member No.: 4,601

QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Jul 11 2006, 09:36 AM)
That did look like a grand day out, but shame about the pub. Still, I guess if you ended up living in one of the flats soon to replace it, you would technically be living in the Winchester...

That's been exactly my thoughts! That and "Hey, they barricaded the windows, so the zombies wouldn't even get in, when they pile themselves up like the Bugs did in Starship Troopers."

It's a shame nontheless.

You guys had a really cool day appearently. But is Noel growing some gay patch of beard under his lower lip or is just a patch, where is beard just grows stronger?

+Quote Post
luvmusic
post Jul 11 2006, 05:02 PM
Post #8

Guests

QUOTE (LoPan01 @ Jul 11 2006, 12:39 AM)
The place where Shaun and Co fought off a devastating army of the undead in their last stand, is being knocked down for a block of bloody flats. I mean, it's not like we're short of tower blocks in London, IS IT???!!!

Well, London is incredibly short of housing, flats or otherwise, but it ain't short of pubs.

Let it go, I say.

+Quote Post
KevinandNick
post Jul 11 2006, 05:18 PM
Post #9

The Magnificent Butchers

Member No.: 4,381

Oh, man, that's SO sad!

We haven't been back there since those changeable days back in July 2003 - it came as a hell of a shock to see the pics. We knew that it was earmarked for demolition, but to see it all boarded up and in such a state is genuinely heartbreaking for us.

We have fond memories of sheltering from the sun during a break and chatting to Alan Jones about our favourite European movies.

A sad end to a place that has a lot of memories for us... sad.gif

KEVIN & NICK

+Quote Post
dolfyn
post Jul 12 2006, 04:58 AM
Post #10

Blood's thicker than water, but blood leaves a stain.

Member No.: 4,984

I agree, it's sad. London may have lots of pubs, but only one that's been
immortalised in the best zombie movie ever! It's a crying shame. sad.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
mellow.gif

+Quote Post
colleensmommy
post Jul 14 2006, 12:26 PM
Post #11

Guests

well on the bright side, when i do move to london i can get a flat where the winchester used to be. also maybe simon pegg might fancy a looksee at the good old winchester and find nothing but my flat.......well i can dream cant i?

+Quote Post
luvmusic
post Jul 14 2006, 05:29 PM
Post #12

Guests

Yes. Yes you can.

+Quote Post
kiss my empty ba...
post Jul 14 2006, 07:07 PM
Post #13

Four Pinter

Member No.: 2,712

what a great day you guys had shame to hear about the pub though.
maybe us lot should move in there when the flats get built! (joke)
Oh nice pic of noel how lucky were you guys?

+Quote Post
jem
post Jul 15 2006, 03:11 PM
Post #14

Addict

Member No.: 4,332

that really sucks about the pub...

+Quote Post
SpaceSickPip