Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 30 Rock, Spreading the Fey Love
Raven
post Mar 4 2011, 09:36 PM
Post #1

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

Just recently finished the second series and I have to say I'm really beginning to enjoy this.

It's been a bit of a slow-burner for me, but by the time Carrie Fisher was screaming "Help me Liz Lemon...your my only hope!" I was totally sold.

Top stuff!

(Oh, and yes, you guys were so very right about Tina Fey . . .).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Mar 5 2011, 01:11 AM
Post #2

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,309

I saw the live episode last week and thought it was great, particularly Tracy's "breaking".

I also think I may be developing an inappropriate crush on Kenneth. I like a man who'll run errands for you.

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Mar 5 2011, 01:53 AM
Post #3

Money ...

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,511

I saw a few seasons a way back. But enjoyed it tremendously. I have to catchup.

I am a bit Liz Lemon.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Mar 5 2011, 09:53 AM
Post #4

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,309

I don't really like Liz Lemon, I feel in the minority. You know how I like everyone but Michael in Arrested Development? It's the same as that.

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Mar 5 2011, 12:01 PM
Post #5

dim view of human nature

Member No.: 3,798

I've only seen the first 3 series and the live episode, but it's an excellent show, no doubt about it. My favourite stuff is the interaction between Kenneth and Jack, who I think are both absolutely wonderful. I love Liz Lemon too (she lovely), but those two are certainly my favourite characters, and when they're on-screen together it's usually gold.

That said, Tracy and Jack are an excellent double act too. The Morgan family monologue remains the most outstanding piece of TV comedy acting I've ever seen. Not only is it hysterical, it's magnificently crafted and performed. Alec Baldwin has shot up my list of heroes since I first saw 30 Rock, and just when it couldn't get better, this photo surfaced. Baldwin + Squirtle = amazing.

This post has been edited by Hobbes: Mar 5 2011, 12:01 PM

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Mar 6 2011, 01:48 PM
Post #6

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

QUOTE (Hobbes @ Mar 5 2011, 12:01 PM) *
I've only seen the first 3 series and the live episode, but it's an excellent show, no doubt about it. My favourite stuff is the interaction between Kenneth and Jack, who I think are both absolutely wonderful. I love Liz Lemon too (she lovely), but those two are certainly my favourite characters, and when they're on-screen together it's usually gold.

That said, Tracy and Jack are an excellent double act too. The Morgan family monologue remains the most outstanding piece of TV comedy acting I've ever seen. Not only is it hysterical, it's magnificently crafted and performed. Alec Baldwin has shot up my list of heroes since I first saw 30 Rock, and just when it couldn't get better, this photo surfaced. Baldwin + Squirtle = amazing.

Tracy's one-liners are probably the most surreal comedy on TV at the moment. It's just inspired:

I will eat a bowl of cherries and some ghost meat in his honor.

+Quote Post
Ade
post Mar 6 2011, 07:28 PM
Post #7

Ade Flanders

From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Mar 6 2011, 01:48 PM) *
ghost meat

That reminds me of some Armando Iannucci excellence from The 99p Challenge:

I think Morrissey would be afraid of meat ghosts.

+Quote Post
sleeping_pirate
post Mar 6 2011, 07:49 PM
Post #8

If I was young, I'd flee this town

Member No.: 3,052

I'm halfway through series 2 at the moment and I absolutely love it. Liz, Kenneth and Frank are definitely my favourite characters.

+Quote Post
Ade
post Mar 6 2011, 07:53 PM
Post #9

Ade Flanders

From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

I really need to catch up with 30 Rock again. I got through the first two series and then stalled. It's a great show.

And I like Tina Fey.

+Quote Post
PrincessKate
post Mar 6 2011, 07:55 PM
Post #10

Smut by the Sea

Member No.: 2,387

I'm in a similar place to you, Lou - but either my dvds or my dvd player are a bit fucked and I have to keep skipping the odd episode because it keeps pixelating. I was glad when Tracy shaved off his beard - it was giving me the willies. This is my best Tracy-ism thus far (Ghost meat being my favourite later one).

I did think my disc 1 of season 2 was playing really slowly but now I'm wondering if it's just Alec Baldwin's Batman-deep voice.

+Quote Post
maian
post Mar 7 2011, 11:06 AM
Post #11

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

I've come back around to liking 30 Rock again, having almost written the show off halfway through season 5 following a run of episodes that I found completely dull and unfunny, cultimating in the live show, which I found incredibly embarassing, even if I appreciated the clever ways they found to retain the cutaway gags in a live setting. It didn't help that both Community and Parks & Recreation came back with stellar second and third seasons respectively, which made me wonder whether or not I should both with 30 Rock.

Fortunately, the second half of the season has been a real return to form, with a string of hilarious episodes that rival the very best from its first three seasons. Most importantly, they've started using Kenneth and Tracy less. I like them as characters, but they've both been overused to the point of being predictable. Pushing them into the background has greatly benefitted the show since it has allowed for Liz and Jack's friendship - easily my favourite aspect of the show - to come to the fore.

+Quote Post
Outatime
post Mar 10 2011, 09:00 AM
Post #12

Addict

Member No.: 3,386

Since Christmas I've watched from season one and now I'm caught up to Comedy Central pace. I thought they did the best they could with the live show, it wasn't good enough to warrent doing another one but it wasn't awful enough that they should be ashamed of it. Jack is by far the best character, I particularly enjoy his rivalry with Will Arnett.

+Quote Post
logger
post Mar 10 2011, 10:50 AM
Post #13

Guests

I've always thought they should bring Rachel McAdams in for an episode to be one of Jack's rivals.

+Quote Post
ella
post Mar 10 2011, 11:39 AM
Post #14

Mrs P

Member No.: 2,360

I wasn't impressed by the live episode - they all forgot how to act. Put it his way I was kind of relieved when the house next door caught fire and we had to turn it off.

Seems to be redeeming itself again though.

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Mar 10 2011, 11:56 AM
Post #15

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

Much as I do love me some Jack Donaghy my favourite episode is still the one where Tracy goes back to his childhood home and uncovers his represed memories.

Oh, my God! I slept on a dog bed stuffed with wigs! I saw a prostitute stab a clown! Our basketball hoop was a ribcage! A ribcage!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 12:49 AM