Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ASIAN CINEMA, The best?
beatoswald
post Jun 24 2005, 04:50 PM
Post #16

Four Pinter

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,162

I just ordered Happy Together, As Tears Go By and Memories of A Murder off play.com.

I hope to see Kung-Fu Hustle tonight.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
whitey
post Jun 24 2005, 05:06 PM
Post #17

never rub another man's rhubarb

Member No.: 2,308

For those who have multi-region players Kung Fu Hustle has been available from CD-WOW for quite some time for a mere 9.99

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Jun 24 2005, 05:35 PM
Post #18

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

QUOTE (whitey @ Jun 24 2005, 05:06 PM)
For those who have multi-region players Kung Fu Hustle has been available from CD-WOW for quite some time for a mere 9.99

And its a very good print too. The elitist in me doesn't want the film to be huge, but I hope it is...I can't recall the last time a film got so many rave reviews.

+Quote Post
whitey
post Jun 24 2005, 05:47 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (Sostie @ Jun 24 2005, 06:35 PM)
And its a very good print too.  The elitist in me doesn't want the film to be huge, but I hope it is...I can't recall the last time a film got so many rave reviews.

I know exactly what you mean. I was really gutted when Miyazaki started becoming popular.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Jun 24 2005, 06:05 PM
Post #20

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

QUOTE (whitey @ Jun 24 2005, 05:47 PM)
I know exactly what you mean. I was really gutted when Miyazaki started becoming popular.

Aaah but wasn't it satisfying, when someone would rave about Spirited Away and you would turn around and say "aaah but its not as good as.." and you would list as many films of his as possible biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
whitey
post Jun 24 2005, 06:24 PM
Post #21

QUOTE (Sostie @ Jun 24 2005, 07:05 PM)
Aaah but wasn't it satisfying, when someone would rave about Spirited Away and you would turn around and say "aaah but its not as good as.." and you would list as many films of his as possible  biggrin.gif

That was a bit good yes.

This post has been edited by whitey: Jun 24 2005, 06:25 PM

+Quote Post
Ade
post Jun 24 2005, 06:30 PM
Post #22

Ade Flanders

From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

With the exception of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon a few years back, I have only just dipped my toe in the Asian cinema waters over this last few months, but what I've seen so far has been nothing short of excellent, namely OldBoy (stunning), Spirited Away (mesmerising), Zatoichi (thoroughly entertaining).

I have ordered Ong-Bak (pre-order) and House Of Flying Daggers which should arrive soon. Tempted to order Shaolin Soccer now too. I already have Infernal Affairs and Hana-Bi DVDs sat on the shelf waiting to be watchified. Puzzling over which one to watch tonight actually...

QUOTE (whitey @ Jun 24 2005, 06:06 PM)

Damn you Whitey, you really shouldn't have said that! But I'm glad you did.

*rifles through wallet for credit card*

Gah, more expense!

This post has been edited by Ade: Jun 24 2005, 06:31 PM

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Jun 24 2005, 06:50 PM
Post #23

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

QUOTE (Ade @ Jun 24 2005, 06:30 PM)
. Tempted to order Shaolin Soccer now too. I already have Infernal Affairs and Hana-Bi DVDs sat on the shelf waiting to be watchified. Puzzling over which one to watch tonight actually...

Well if you like football you will love Shaolin Soccer. If you don't, there is still plenty to enjoy. The film went round work, and everyone who saw it went and ordered their own copy. These are people who mostly had never bothered with subtitled films before.

Hana-Bi I love - it will always be in my top 5. But I'd go for Infernal Affairs - its got two of Honk Kong's greats - Andy Lau & Tony Leung, who as well as being brilliant, irritatingly haven't aged in 20 years. The plot is simple, but brilliant. And you have to watch it before Scorsese's remake comes out next year.

Talking of which - get Dark Water. Remake out next month, but the original has to be seen. One of the best horrors of recent years.

+Quote Post
whitey
post Jun 24 2005, 06:57 PM
Post #24

QUOTE (Sostie @ Jun 24 2005, 07:50 PM)
Well if you like football you will love Shaolin Soccer.  If you don't, there is still plenty to enjoy.  The film went round work, and everyone who saw it went and ordered their own copy.  These are people who mostly had never bothered with subtitled films before.

I don't know anybody who didn't love it. I showed it to people who aren't into kung-fu, football or subtitles and they still loved it.

+Quote Post
Ade
post Jun 24 2005, 07:37 PM
Post #25

Ade Flanders

From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

I have already seen the trailer for Shaolin Soccer, several times - I know what to expect, and I don't expect I'll be disappointed. And Kung-Fu Hustle also looks fantastic.

So, Infernal Affairs it is then, that's that sorted! Off to watch now with all speed.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Jun 24 2005, 07:39 PM
Post #26

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

QUOTE (Ade @ Jun 24 2005, 07:37 PM)
I have already seen the trailer for Shaolin Soccer, several times - I know what to expect, and I don't expect I'll be disappointed. And Kung-Fu Hustle also looks fantastic.

So, Infernal Affairs it is then, that's that sorted! Off to watch now with all speed.

Don't forget to tell us what you thought of it

This post has been edited by Sostie: Jun 24 2005, 07:39 PM

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Jun 24 2005, 08:07 PM
Post #27

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,309

I'd like to give a mention to 'Tears of the Black Tiger' - Marvellous Thai Western/Fairytale/Romance/Comedy/Drama which is more inventive with colour than any Western film I can think of. Some of it's technicolor, some sepia tinted - it's really stunning to watch. The closest thing I can think of in tone is 'The Princess Bride'

I own it and frequently force confused visitors to enjoy it with me.

+Quote Post
Stella MM
post Jun 24 2005, 08:10 PM
Post #28

Cursing. Ladies. Dancing. And pleasure.

Member No.: 2,284

Audition is viley disgusting and horrible and I loved it.

A Tale of Two Sisters didn't grab me, I have to say, but Zoe and my other half loved it and they've got great taste so it's got to be worth a recommendation.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Jun 24 2005, 08:16 PM
Post #29

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,309

QUOTE (Stella MM @ Jun 24 2005, 09:10 PM)
A Tale of Two Sisters didn't grab me, I have to say, but Zoe and my other half loved it and they've got great taste so it's got to be worth a recommendation.

Ahhh that sounds as if we all went to the cinema together.

Scared the shit out of me that one - in a good way you understand.

Right I'd like to add 'Nowhere to Hide' - Fast paced and visually inventive (yes again) Korean crime caper. Some really brilliant fight scenes and great characters.

+Quote Post
Stella MM
post Jun 24 2005, 08:18 PM
Post #30

Cursing. Ladies. Dancing. And pleasure.

Member No.: 2,284

QUOTE (Zoe @ Jun 24 2005, 09:16 PM)
Ahhh that sounds as if we all went to the cinema together.

Scared the shit out of me that one - in a good way you understand.

The film or the thought of going to the cinema in a crazy threesome with a person you've never met and her boyfriend?

wink.gif

TOTS did scare me while watching it, but the ending kind of negated it all.

+Quote Post

29 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 04:08 PM