> ASIAN CINEMA, The best?
dandan
post Mar 21 2007, 01:04 PM
Post #421

Addict

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,256

QUOTE (crienglish.com)

Chinese mainland actress Fan Bingbing arrives for the Asian Film Awards as part of the Entertainment Expo Hong Kong on Tuesday, March 20, 2007.

Hong Kong actor Tony Leung arrives for the Asian Film Awards as part of the Entertainment Expo Hong Kong on Tuesday, March 20, 2007.

South Korean actress Lim Su-jeong (left) and actor Jung Ji-hoon, better known as Rain, arrive for the Asian Film Awards as part of the Entertainment Expo Hong Kong on Tuesday, March 20, 2007.

Taiwan actor Chang Chen arrives for the Asian Film Awards as part of the Entertainment Expo Hong Kong on Tuesday, March 20, 2007.

Hong Kong actresses and members of the pop duo "Twins" Gillian Chung (left) and Charlene Choi arrive for the Asian Film Awards as part of the Entertainment Expo Hong Kong on Tuesday, March 20, 2007.

Hong Kong actress Maggie Q arrives for the Asian Film Awards as part of the Entertainment Expo Hong Kong on Tuesday, March 20, 2007.

Malaysian actress Michelle Yeoh poses backstage during the Asian Film Awards, a part of the Entertainment Expo Hong Kong, in Hong Kong on Tuesday, March 20, 2007.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dandan
post Apr 23 2007, 07:54 AM
Post #422

Addict

interview with martin chappell, a sound designer in hong kong film, which i did for kfccinema.com...

+Quote Post
Jimmy Green
post Apr 23 2007, 05:40 PM
Post #423

Two Pinter

From: Yo mama's house... not really. Or is that a double bluff to put you at ease?
Member No.: 6,211

There are some WICKED Asian films doing the rounds from recent years, but I never bought into Crouching Tiger, I thought it was wank. And - although this won't go down well - I really didn't like Shaolin Soccer.

However....

Ong Bak
Fearless
House Of Flying Daggers
Kung Fu Hustle
Ichi The Killer

are all amazing.

I'm more of an old school Asian film fan myself, simply cos I don't like sleek wirework.... so I spend a lot of time watching films like

Streetfighter / Revenge Of Streetfighter
8 Diagram Pole Fighter
36th Chamber Of Shaolin
18 Bronzemen
One Armed Swordsman
Drunken Master
Golgo 13
Spooky Encounters

etc etc etc

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post May 7 2007, 03:03 PM
Post #424

Cent Dix-Sept

Member No.: 2,258

Only just spotted this: Beat Takeshi's latest Kantoku: Banzai!, in which he plays a tormented director, involving a mix-up of various genres, but with a mostly comic edge. Still yet to see Takeshis', which is similarly self-reflective, but that shall be rectified soon methinks.

+Quote Post
logger
post May 7 2007, 03:12 PM
Post #425

Guests

QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ May 7 2007, 04:03 PM)
Only just spotted this: Beat Takeshi's latest Kantoku: Banzai!, in which he plays a tormented director, involving a mix-up of various genres, but with a mostly comic edge. Still yet to see Takeshis', which is similarly self-reflective, but that shall be rectified soon methinks.

That looks awsome.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post May 7 2007, 03:19 PM
Post #426

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ May 7 2007, 03:03 PM)

Looks like a good bit of fun. Just seeing him on screen makes me warm & fuzzy. Though sadly I think we probably have seen him at his peak. I hope not.

+Quote Post
dandan
post May 7 2007, 03:25 PM
Post #427

Addict

it's funny, 'takeshi's' got a pretty bad reception (even though there were a few who really liked it) and i think that this will go the same way. kitano seems to have moved on a lot in the past few years and looks like he's returning to his roots as a comedian, which seems to split the audience who loved his most popular works.

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post May 28 2007, 02:15 PM
Post #428

Cent Dix-Sept

Saiyuki - one for Zeden methinks. It's a new Japanese film version of the Journey to the West aka Monkey story, which itself is following from a TV series made in Japan last year.

+Quote Post
savageman26
post May 28 2007, 08:29 PM
Post #429

One Pinter

Member No.: 6,242

I think the first HK cinema film i saw was God of Gamblers. I just fell in love with the way Chow Yun Fat acted. I bought into the whole heroic bloodshed genre. I got a shit load of John Woo/Chow's films along the Flaming Brothers, Full Contact, Better Tomorrow line. Every one of them just put any western action films to shame. Hong Kong 1942 was a stunning film, if a rather large step away from Chow's usual film type.

+Quote Post
zeden
post May 29 2007, 08:17 AM
Post #430

When doves cry

Member No.: 4,533

QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ May 28 2007, 03:15 PM)
Saiyuki - one for Zeden methinks. It's a new Japanese film version of the Journey to the West aka Monkey story, which itself is following from a TV series made in Japan last year.

Cheers for the heads up. I remember spotting some info about the series ages ago, but if it's hitting the big screen I'd say there's a much better chance for it to eventually hit these shores. It'll have to be pretty special to beat the original mind.

+Quote Post
velocity_shingo
post May 31 2007, 10:35 PM
Post #431

Style.Function.Simplicity.

Member No.: 6,334

Ooh good thread

Battle Royale
Tomie
Tomie: Re-Birth
Suicide Circle Club
Shinobi
Spin Kick
Brother
Ong Bak
The Protector(don't know the actual title =[ )

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post Jun 1 2007, 07:28 AM
Post #432

Cent Dix-Sept

MUST. RENT. THIS. FILM! Behold the madness of 70s Japanese horror flick Hausu.

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post Jun 18 2007, 02:21 PM
Post #433

Cent Dix-Sept

Saiyuki update - the website now has the trailer up (5th selection on the side-menu - 予告). It has an impressively epic feel coupled with toilet humour and shameless mugging. Could be daft gaudy fun...or just terrible...

+Quote Post
dandan
post May 11 2009, 02:48 PM
Post #434

Addict

just a quick note to anyone who uses, or has used, the excellent hong kong movie database or reads their, equally outstanding, hkmdb - daily news blog - they need some money to keep going.

if you're a fan of hong kong cinema, then it is an amazing, unrivalled resource, and something which a lot of people invest a lot of time in for nothing more than the love of it.

there's a link to donate in the first post of their news blog...

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post Jan 23 2010, 11:26 AM
Post #435

Cent Dix-Sept

QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Jun 1 2007, 07:28 AM) *
MUST. RENT. THIS. FILM! Behold the madness of 70s Japanese horror flick Hausu.

UK's finally catching up!

First, the incredible HAUSU is getting a DVD release from Monday, thanks to Eureka! following the sold-out midnight screening at Curzon Soho last night. Highly recommended to fans of insane horror and goofy comedy.

AND, Artifical Eye is releasing Takeshis' (which has some grindingly obstructive flaws, though is still one of my favourite Kitano films), with a cinema release on February 12th, and a DVD release on 8th March.

+Quote Post

29 Pages V  « < 27 28 29
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 01:45 PM