Poor [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Phantom Menace [ 1 ] ** [1.59%]
Total Votes: 63
Guests cannot vote 
too_orangey_4_crows
post Aug 1 2005, 06:17 PM
Post #16

Guests

QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ Aug 1 2005, 06:58 PM)
I love the synchronised crying bit, it's so funny! laugh.gif

lol yeh thats the bit i ment, wacko.gif cryin in the cafe duh!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
constantly bored
post Aug 1 2005, 07:48 PM
Post #17

Whoring myself to members of this here forum

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,968

I'm curious who voted average.

+Quote Post
super_horse
post Aug 2 2005, 10:10 AM
Post #18

Tastes Like Rust

Member No.: 3,889

I voted Good, but when i got home and watched it i wished i'd put excellent, as it is at setting up the characters and settings. Also watching it with this 'rewind' topic in mind it reminded me of the first time i watched it and how i wanted More that just a 30 min show, i'd pin 'beginnings as being one of the best in the 1st series.

+Quote Post
Zissou
post Aug 2 2005, 10:30 AM
Post #19

Island cats

Member No.: 4,234

I rate this one good as it doesn’t have the edge of the other episodes, but it does have some of the best camera work. Like when they are sitting around the table with Marsha, the camera work is superb, It is one of the best Sam Raimi rip offs ever.

+Quote Post
ipse dixit
post Aug 2 2005, 12:38 PM
Post #20

Fallon

Member No.: 2,946

I voted excellent. Because I think it is. I can't be bothered to justify it right now cos I need to leave the frickin house - grrr. Sorry, I'm annoying myself by not moving.

+Quote Post
maian
post Aug 2 2005, 03:11 PM
Post #21

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

I voted excellent because it truly is a brilliant piece of comedy.

I agree that it isn't as strong as the later episodes but, if viewed as a singular episode, it is excellent. It introduces the characters but only tells us enough about them to keep us interested, it doesn't instantly tell us everything there is to know but it does let us know that there is more to these characters but their stories can be set aside for the moment. The background is set up brilliantly and the way it is done feels natural and totally unforced.

Furthermore, even though this is basically an episode designed to explain what is happening, it's not lacking in jokes.

This episode is excellent because it is balanced; if Simon and Jess ahd crammed in too many jokes at the expense of the story then the audience wouldn't know what was happening or feel any connection to the characters, but if there was too much exposition then the show wouldn't be funny. It is the perfect springboard for the series to achieve the comedic heights that it would later achieve.

+Quote Post
KingoftheFunkingZombies
post Aug 2 2005, 05:08 PM
Post #22

Guests

Are we comparing Begginings to other Spaced episodes, when we vote? or other programmes?
Because if it is the latter, then I'll change my vote to excellent biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Sean of the Dead
post Aug 3 2005, 04:16 PM
Post #23

Conscience gets expensive, doesn't it?

Member No.: 2,924

I stayed over at my mates last night and so, of course, I brought my Spaced DVDs and showed them to him, his brother, his brothers friend and his 9 year old sister (awkward laughs at the fake sex noises from the older ones, upon watching most of the 1st series...).

It had been a while since I saw it, and I fell in love with it once again. Not the best episode for comedy but for the introduction then it is sheer brilliance. The whole 'getting to know you' part, where they say facts about each other was a genious way to find things out about the characters. The whole introduction of Brian is so simple, he's a weirdo, yet it still makes us laugh.

On an emotional level we also learn a lot about the characters in this too, from Tim's break-up to Daisy's relationship with her boyfriend, it all fits in well with the whole situation of the type of comedy.

+Quote Post
Ade
post Aug 4 2005, 12:05 AM
Post #24

Ade Flanders

Group: Senior Moderators
From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

I voted Good.

I agree with others comments about it being a great introduction, plenty of gags, and more than enough back-story without overdoing things.

One of the things that always got me were Tim's facial expressions, and there are plenty on offer in the cafe scenes alone - notably trying to placate Daisy when she bursts into a fantastically unchecked fit of sobbing and, following the brilliant call-and-response crying sequence, is his 'penny drop' expression when he realises that he is Daisy's "homeless male friend". We also see the same expression in Episode 2.2, when he realises Bilbo has just given him the sack.

The episode certainly prescribes to the 'less is more' comedy ethic, more than later episodes do - no sense bringing out all "the good shit" too soon, after all. But it is a fantastic episode by virtue of these seemingly 'lesser' gags, and there are plenty of them to keep it ticking along nicely; like Tim's sudden telepathy and Daisy's confused expression, one of the entire series' best 'repeated' gags with Tim's "whayadoin'!?", Brian's defensive "do you mean 'Am I gay?' " quote, and his subsequent pause-for-thought when Tim blantantly asks him if he is.

So many things that strike me about the episode on re-viewing, including the wonderfully varied music soundtrack, the daring camerawork and visual tricks (wonderfully punctuated by sound effects), and generally cinematic feel to it all - something I'd never experienced with anything on TV before (nor since), least of all in a comedy series. I think that is why, even 6 years on, it is still feels so fresh and original.

A brilliant start to the series with plenty of smatterings of otherworldly oddness about it, paving the way for the later bizarre happenings we all know and love. So, to reappraise my 'Good' vote, I didn't want to be blindly voting 'Excellent' across the board, but if there had been a 'Very Good' option I would have picked that for this episode. smile.gif

+Quote Post
thirtyhelens
post Aug 4 2005, 12:57 AM
Post #25

Toasty

Member No.: 2,939

QUOTE (Ade @ Aug 3 2005, 04:05 PM)
One of the things that always got me were Tim's facial expressions, and there are plenty  on offer in the cafe scenes alone

You mean Chapter 1 of The Art of the Comedy Face by Simon J. Pegg (first edition)? laugh.gif (I was actually going to post an illo but Harmony's gallery is down...dammit!)

Jess's "Uhhh-huh, yeeeeah, you big boy!" face is fantastic, as well.

+Quote Post
Cult_Status02
post Aug 4 2005, 04:11 AM
Post #26

"Freeze, Rock!"

Member No.: 3,173

I gave it an "Excellent" because I would not have kept watching Spaced had it not.
I'm rather sad though becuase I remember I had to download the episodes and I watch about 2 a day after, and then after my 2 months of being COMPLETELY addicted, I felt a void in my life...I've been bored lately I need to watch Spaced again!
I was so happy then! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
claire
post Aug 5 2005, 02:36 PM
Post #27

Two Pinter

Member No.: 3,409

Excellent, very excellent. I love this episode sooooo much! Especially the 'Getting To Know You' scene. When Simon does his Spiderman impression, cracks me up everytime.

+Quote Post
clubbing_it_is_then?
post Aug 5 2005, 03:14 PM
Post #28

Guests

Nothing is better than the rat/spider hybrid on the 80's computer! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Ade
post Aug 6 2005, 10:48 AM
Post #29

Ade Flanders

Group: Senior Moderators
From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Aug 4 2005, 01:57 AM)
You mean Chapter 1 of The Art of the Comedy Face by Simon J. Pegg (first edition)?  laugh.gif  (I was actually going to post an illo but Harmony's gallery is down...dammit!)

Jess's "Uhhh-huh, yeeeeah, you big boy!" face is fantastic, as well.

Heheh, yeah that's the one.

Jess' pronunciations of "fuckin' psychic house-hunters" and "cold, infested rat 'oles" always crack me up too.

I've got to say, watching the episode again, I got goosebumps - roughly when the title credit rolled across the screen accompanied by the "the weekend...starts here" music - I was also struck by a very profound wave of nostalgia. Episode 1 suddenly seemed such a long time ago - it reminded me of a much happier and simpler time of my life. *sigh*

Edit:
PS - it currently looks like a relatively even split across the "Good" and "Excellent" votes so far - a fair division, I reckon.

This post has been edited by Ade: Aug 6 2005, 10:53 AM

+Quote Post
nixygirl
post Aug 6 2005, 04:12 PM
Post #30

I call him...MAX!

Member No.: 3,142

I had to hit 'excellent'...how could I not?
For all the reasons everyone else has posted.
Because as a premise to a series...it is fucking excellent!
luvs nix

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 03:18 AM