IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First Impressions, 'cause they last . . .
Raven
post Jul 31 2005, 11:59 AM
Post #1

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

Can you remember back that far? Not sure I can, but what were your first impressions of Spaced?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chapman Baxter
post Jul 31 2005, 05:00 PM
Post #2

The sick product of a crazy society

Member No.: 2,263

This wasn't the first episode I saw; I missed the series the first time around and caught up with several episodes out of order on satellite.

The first time I saw this one I was drunk, to the extent that the Tim/Daisy/Sarah/homeless guy exchange really confused me. The second time, the one that counts, I remember I was enjoying it until it got to the Scooby Doo joke, at which point I realised this was one of the funniest things I'd seen in years.

+Quote Post
Stella MM
post Jul 31 2005, 05:07 PM
Post #3

Cursing. Ladies. Dancing. And pleasure.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,284

I didn't see this episode on the TV and saw it for the first time when I bought the video. For some reason, my video was faulty and started just before the Getting to Know You cafe scene so for years (well, months) I had no idea the Daisy/homeless man/Tim/Sarah exhange existed.

It was like finding a lost scene when I bought the DVD.

+Quote Post
Kris
post Aug 1 2005, 12:41 PM
Post #4

I am not nick frost

Member No.: 2,403

I saw this on TV, on a friday night IIRC... I remember going into school the next day (.. well, monday) and asking everyone if they'd seen it too, but no one had sad.gif

+Quote Post
Raven
post Aug 1 2005, 01:22 PM
Post #5

Space Cowboy

Member No.: 2,262

I was there at the beginning . . . wink.gif

I remember seeing a trailer for the series - the one where Daisy opens the door to Tim's room and gets bathed in bright light to the opening music from Space 1999 - and I remember thinking “Anything that uses Space 1999 music to advertise itself is surely going to have sci-fi references in it,” and as it turned out it did!

So come the Friday night I was sat there with me bottle of beer, not quite knowing what to expect, watching two people seemingly having a conversation with each other and the bloke pops out with the line “You don’t think I can be emotional? Jesus, I cried like a baby at the end of Terminator 2, you know . . . with the hand . . . and the . . .”

Genius!

And then the references just kept coming Star Wars, Hitch-hikers, The Shinning, Scooby Doo etc and all interspersed with some excellent original comedy.

Fantastic stuff!

My only regret is that I didn’t have the foresight to tape it so I had to wait another year to see it again . . . We live and learn.

+Quote Post
KingoftheFunkingZombies
post Aug 1 2005, 03:23 PM
Post #6

Guests

I bought the 3-disc edition and couldn't stop watching after the first, I was hooked biggrin.gif

So I watched them all until 4 in the morning, including extras happy.gif

...I have no life.

This post has been edited by KingoftheFunkingZombies: Aug 1 2005, 03:24 PM

+Quote Post
whixie
post Aug 1 2005, 03:40 PM
Post #7

Discombobulated

Member No.: 2,820

I remember seeing the trailers too and thinking 'oooh, that looks good' and, like Kris, I went off to school expecting everyone to be raving about it and no one had seen it or knew what I was talking about. I remember thinking it looked great and was just the kind of humour I'd been looking for.

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Aug 1 2005, 04:20 PM
Post #8

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

I was also there at the very beginning.

Being a fan of Simon and Jess's previous work on various other shows (we know where you live, Armstrong and Miller, etc), the trailers excited me no end, especially with the striking visual style and film references.

And, like all these things, none of my friends knew the series except Mr. Jester, I believe.

I had the foresight to tape the series first time around (tapes I have only just thrown away), because I taped virtually everything I watched those days, so it became part of my comedy mythology immediately.

This post has been edited by Jessopjessopjessop: Aug 1 2005, 04:20 PM

+Quote Post
Zissou
post Aug 1 2005, 04:28 PM
Post #9

Island cats

Member No.: 4,234

I was quite young when it was first aired. (about 10 or 11 I think) But I used to sit down with my dad and watch it. I didn’t understand all of the references, but I still enjoyed it. I remember being too scared to watch the resident evil themed episode.

+Quote Post
Wife Of Rolex
post Aug 1 2005, 05:36 PM
Post #10

Addict

Member No.: 3,423

I was kind of there in the beginning. I don't remember any trailers, it just sprang up on me one Friday night in 1999. I had a feeling it would probably be good as I'd more or less caught most of Simon's appearences on TV since, well...since his first appearence and I knew Jessica from The Royle Family. Julia Deakin then popped up and I recognised her from various things. When Mark Heap made an appearence and I bolted to my sister's room as she loved Stressed Eric (she still says 'Daddy can we go to the jymkana?'!!) and I was telling her switch over as the he did the voice of Eric. She was only 9 so I thought she'd be excited but it seemed ages before he spoke again and when he did she just went 'Oh yeah,' and switched back to what she was watching on the other side.

I liked it and watched the whole series but I must confess I was slow on the uptake and didn't pay it the attention it deserved. I can't actually remember a great deal about the last half of 1999 to honest, which sadly includes Spaced, hence my late getting into it I s'pose.

JJJ - You watched We Know Where You Live every week as well? I thought I was the only one! I can only remember the title sequence, though. Didn't think to tape it, though. rolleyes.gif

Wife Of Rolex

+Quote Post
Julie
post Aug 1 2005, 11:15 PM
Post #11

Hot Lips.

Member No.: 3,352

I was oblivious in the beginning. My first taste of Spaced happened at a time when I was just developping an interest in Brit Rock through my work at a local record store. As that was mounting, a friend who knows my tastes quite well sent me the first episode to watch with the note: 'You'll like this'.

The first thing that struck me about it was the cinematography. The guy that sent it to me is a film major and an aspiring director, so I have a limited understanding of these things through him. And I'm assuming that's why it caught his eye. So I was duly impressed by that.

I then started to notice how, even from the first episode, the plot and specifically Daisy's character was oddly close to my life at that time. The more I watched, the more I saw myself in Daisy, and those around me in the other characters. It was so strange to watch and yet vaguely comforting at the same time.

The two other things that struck me at first were the sense of humour, which was very similar to my own, and the movie references, which was yet another parallel of my own life.

Finally, and sort of amusingly, I remember in the beginning thinking "well this is good, I really really like this show, and the lead character isn't all that attractive, so I won't develop any sort of unhealthy obsession" Because you see, I have this horrible tendancy of creating these ridiculous crushes on fictional characters. It's funny too, because I remember the exact moment when my opinion changed. And I like the fact that it was the character's personality that attracted me most. I like to think thats indicative of being not so shallow...

From the first episode, I was hooked.

+Quote Post
Punkass
post Aug 1 2005, 11:20 PM
Post #12

GRACE!

Member No.: 3,791

not quite knowing what to expect, watching two people seemingly having a conversation with each other and the bloke pops out with the line “You don’t think I can be emotional? Jesus, I cried like a baby at the end of Terminator 2, you know . . . with the hand . . . and the . . .”

Genius!

And then the references just kept coming Star Wars, Hitch-hikers, The Shinning, Scooby Doo etc and all interspersed with some excellent original comedy.

Exactly. I am quite a movie buff, and it was pretty cool to be like "They got that from The Shining...they are talking about Green Card", etch. I found myself trying to find more and more tie ins through out the episode. Nice character introductions/build ups as well.

This post has been edited by Punkass: Aug 1 2005, 11:21 PM

+Quote Post
Ade
post Aug 2 2005, 01:15 AM
Post #13

Ade Flanders

Group: Senior Moderators
From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

I was partially there at the beginning.

Yes, aloof as ever.

I don't recall having seen any adverts for it prior to Episode 1, and actually caught the very first episode purely by fluke. Having recognised Pegg from 'Is It Bill Bailey?', I knew it was going to be damn funny, although I didn't really take a lot of it in as I always seemed to be visiting friends when it was on, and they were less than taken with it, I think mainly because they didn't really like Jess (which I thought was a little short-sighted, but still).

As a result I only managed to see the first three episodes, mainly because my friends quickly became rather nonplussed with the series, especially by the time we got to "Breathe it in - filter it out!!" By the time we got to "Rabbit! Rabbit! Rabbit! Rabbit! Rabbit!" the decision had been made - next week: no Spaced. The following week they wanted to watch something else! I have no idea what the 'something else' was now, but I do remember that I desperately wanted to watch Spaced, but they didn't, grrr! (Just as it had started getting really interesting!) I knew I had stumbled upon something quite special at the time, but circumstances prevented further proof.

I curse myself now that it didn't really occur to me to stay at home for the remaining episodes - mainly because my viewing had become quite fragmented thoughout each episode (quite probably playing Scrabble, oddly enough), so I didn't really get into it enough to persevere, and ultimately forgot when it was on. For shame. What persisted in standing out in my memory though, after that first teasing glimpse of the series, were the superb Ep.3 Zombie/PlayStation Intro, Vulva's "It's not finished..." quote, the 'call and response' crying sequence from Ep.1 (comedy gold classic) and the Fake Sex Noises (comedy gold classic Mk.II). Oh, and the music. The music was bang on. I also loved the visual style, the quirky camera angles and techniques, quick-paced editing etc - they really enhanced the comic uniqueness of the show, not to mention slapped you about the face and demanded your attention!

How joyous an occasion it was to find out that repeats were on the horizon a year later...

Edit: Needless to say I bloody loved it when I finally got to see it in all its glory.

This post has been edited by Ade: Aug 2 2005, 01:29 AM

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Aug 2 2005, 10:01 AM
Post #14

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Aug 1 2005, 05:36 PM)
JJJ - You watched We Know Where You Live every week as well? I thought I was the only one! I can only remember the title sequence, though. Didn't think to tape it, though.  rolleyes.gif

WOR Yes I did. I would love to see that show again! I remember a few sketches in particular, including the bullshit-speaking surgeons: "Pass me the fudge-pipe, I'm going to block up his chuff-hammer" etc; and the old gentlemen recounting tales of experiments and adventure.

+Quote Post
ipse dixit
post Aug 2 2005, 12:35 PM
Post #15

Fallon

Member No.: 2,946

I saw it on TV from the start. Saw the trailers and thought it looked very cool...and it was...is. I think I might have kicked my parents out of the front room before it started and told them to stay away for half an hour cos I knew they'd interrupt it.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 03:36 PM