IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First Impressions, 'cause they last . . .
Link
post Aug 2 2005, 02:10 PM
Post #16

Gaaaaaaay.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,557

my first impressions of spaced were laughing outrageously at my friends Bone, Jo and Toby as they quoted it repeatedly at Reading festival last year. I nearly pissed myself at practically every line, and then we watched the first few episodes on tv when we got back.

I didn't laugh out loud much the first time I watched beginnings, not because I didn't find it funny, just because I was utterly perplexed by the feeling of "where has this been all my life?"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maian
post Aug 2 2005, 03:02 PM
Post #17

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

Didn't see the first episode on TV but I did catch some ofthe first series when it first aired, so I was sort of there at the start, though not really.

First saw this episode when I bought both series on VHS after series 2 first aired and instantly thought it was the best first episode of anything I had ever seen. I had already seen a few episodes so the look of the show didn't surprise me as much as it would have had I watched it from the start, but the best thing for me was seeing the characters get introduced for the first time, whereas before I hadn't fully understand who the characters were.

This post has been edited by maian: Aug 2 2005, 03:02 PM

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Aug 3 2005, 12:35 PM
Post #18

OMNOMNOM

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 3,076

I first watched in when I was visiting my ex one weekend (I was at uni). I remember really enjoying it and laughing my head off, but we split up fairly soon after so it kind of went out of my head. Every so often I'd think 'Hmmm, that show Spaced was pretty funny...I should buy it' and then never did as I am cheap. Cue Shaun of the Dead coming out and me forcing all my friends to go and see it as I knew it would be genius. It reminded me so much of the things I loved about Spaced, and finally last birthday someone bought me the DVDs. I was home.

+Quote Post
m0r1arty
post Aug 3 2005, 12:45 PM
Post #19

Feel the Rainbow

From: Sitting between Civil Liberties and the Data Protection Act
Member No.: 3,341

Didn't a bears tale do a mock-up of the 'Its a sitcom' trailers?

I taped it, and then the next week taped it on a different tape, and I kept this going all the way through, still have the tapes (although I started to pause it when the SPACED part flew past)

Ah the good ol' days!

-m0r

+Quote Post
Cult_Status02
post Aug 4 2005, 04:14 AM
Post #20

"Freeze, Rock!"

Member No.: 3,173

I was VERY giddy watching it. It was like christmass everyday when I would have a freshly downloaded Spaced to watch when I got home from school!

+Quote Post
Satirical, pessimistic Giles
post Aug 4 2005, 11:15 AM
Post #21

Guests

ive got the first series on VHS but it is starting to get chewed up badly because of the amount of times it has been used

+Quote Post
Henry Krinkle
post Aug 4 2005, 11:39 AM
Post #22

Fuelled by Dr Oetker Mozzarella Pizza™

Member No.: 3,821

I just remember being confused by the opening scene, to the point of thinking that there were parrallel universes where Tim was both Simon Pegg shaped and Homeless Man shaped. It was only on second viewing the next day that I got it.
The 'getting to know you' scene didn't help my confusion, as the opening scene had firmly put in my mind that parallel universes were going to figure heavily in this show, so I assumed the montage was Tim and Daisy meeting for the first time over and over again in the different parallel universes.
Does this make sense, or do you have to be in my brain?

+Quote Post
sweetbutinsane
post Aug 4 2005, 05:46 PM
Post #23

Be careful what you fish for

Member No.: 3,331

I bought the collectors box set early in February (I had watched Shaun of the Dead, loved it and wanted to see what Spaced was because that was all they talked about on the commentary) then sat on my bed all night and watched the first 4 episodes on my portable DVD player. I can't remember what my first impresion of it was (although I obviously loved it because I kept on watching!) but I can remember a) being confused at the beginning (you're not the only one Henry Krinkle!), b) going "yum" at a certain person a fair few times wub.gif , and c) laughing a lot.

+Quote Post
Swonky
post Aug 5 2005, 11:46 AM
Post #24

Guests

I saw the very first episode and within about 5 seconds I knew it was good, different, a cut above, fresh, innovative and stylish. Wasn't sure I liked it yet, but knew it was special.

I knew I loved it however during the 'Getting to know you' scene and the minute I saw Tim in that monster costume I was hooked. That, and the Scooby Doo sketch. I remmeber thinking that this was a programme about me, about people I'd probably be friends with and things I find funny - it was a show for geeks and they're like gold dust.

It's still one of only a handful of things I knew I was going to a massive fan of within the opening few minutes. wub.gif

+Quote Post
claire
post Aug 5 2005, 02:33 PM
Post #25

Two Pinter

Member No.: 3,409

I'm totally ashamed to say that the first time Spaced was shown, I watched the opening scene, got confused and turned it over ohmy.gif

Because of my confusion, I missed an extra five years of watching it over and over again. That makes me upset sad.gif

+Quote Post
thirtyhelens
post Aug 5 2005, 05:34 PM
Post #26

Toasty

Member No.: 2,939

QUOTE (Swonky @ Aug 5 2005, 03:46 AM)
It's still one of only a handful of things I knew I was going to a massive fan of within the opening few minutes.  wub.gif

I concur heartily. happy.gif

+Quote Post
nixygirl
post Aug 6 2005, 04:07 PM
Post #27

I call him...MAX!

Member No.: 3,142

I first caught Spaced on cable tv about 3 years ago. It was only on at a really odd hour. But once I'd caught one episode I made sure I never missed another.
I remembered thinking..."Good God...this is one of those shows...like Red Dwarf, or Ab Fab (before it was whored out)...this is a show I am going to LOVE from the first moment"
and I was right.
luvs nix

+Quote Post
Daisy Steiner
post Aug 7 2005, 10:22 AM
Post #28

Guests

I didn't think I would like it for some reason, then I got the dvds and watched them, iv'e been hooked ever since wub.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 04:15 AM