Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Chaos Theory, Discuss 1.5
Raven
post Aug 28 2005, 09:58 AM
Post #1

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

Something that's always irked me - slightly - about Chaos is how realistic parts of it are.

Whilst the end result is still some excellent comedy the animal lab security gates aren't particularly convincing and leaving the security guard with made up bruises that wouldn't stand up to an examination doesn't ring right.

Should comedy programs strive to be realistic or doesn't it really matter?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Cazza
post Sep 2 2005, 08:13 PM
Post #2

Guests

I don't think the realism matters where the make-up/beating up is concerned as it's a great pay-off for Twist giving her character something to contribute rather than merely being Daisy's bitchy friend and therefore bringing them together as a group alot more. Also the ending reminds me of a Scooby Doo ending where everything is resloved a bit too neatly.

Simon and Jess spoof this type of over-convenient and sentimental resolution by adding a big dollop of irony. For example the dialogue with the security guard-

Guard- I've always been a bit of a 'yes-man'
All- Have you?
Guard- Yes

Is just a tad too sincere in order to make it funny, and the way they laugh for too long at the 'there we go WE BEAT YOU UP!!' line all makes the viewer aware that the writers are acknowledging that they're not really taking this ending seriously. It has the same effect as the dialogue at the end of 2.1- 'Funny day wasn't it? Yeah sort of slightly unbelievable.' They are not trying to convince us that these events are real but inviting us into Tim and Daisy's world where odd things just happen.

The gates bit on the other hand is merely set/budget related and it slightly annoys me each time, well when I say 'annoys' I mean that I notice the fact that it's not convincing rather than just accepting it. This small detail doesn't spoil one of the best episodes of the series.

On another note-I've just realised quite how much STUFF happens in Chaos- it's choc-full of fried gold! More of this in another post I think!

This post has been edited by Cazza: Sep 2 2005, 08:15 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 09:42 AM