Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Epiphanies, Discuss 1.6
Raven
post Sep 4 2005, 11:16 AM
Post #1

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

Probably one of the episodes I've watched the most simply because it's a good pick-me-up and it's also a good one to watch before going out for the evening.

So why does Epiphanies that makes you smile?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pots
post Sep 4 2005, 03:46 PM
Post #2

escapee

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,818

i think one of the first posts i ever made on this forum was about how i felt spaced was a sitcom for my generation, it was the first tv programme that really summed up the experiences me, my friends, and other people my age had gone through. we are a generation of wasters and drifters, we carry our childhood right through into our thirties. we are the first generation who don't expect a better standard of living than our parents. we live our lives through the media, our experiences are diffused through a mess of film references and tv flashbacks. and spaced picked up on all this and presented us with an image of ourselves and our lives that is both funnier and more attractive. like no other programme i've seen, it made me think 'i know these people'.

and this episode made me think that more than any other in the first series. there is no plot, no drama, it is just people going out to a club. but the preparation, the dancing, the sleeping on the sofa, it is all so familiar that we can't help but be pulled into it. we've all spent the night raving away, seen the power of booming music transform our mood, made drunken plans in bars and clubs, and slept it off on friends' sofas the morning after.

and its all so real - the club looks and feels like a club, not a bunch of extras doing take after take.

although not my favourite episode of spaced, this is one that i love because i see me and my friends in it. or maybe not how i am now, but how i was then - i never saw spaced on tv because i was always out on friday nights, dancing away. so when i see it, it reminds me of those days. and it makes me feel happy.

+Quote Post
maian
post Sep 4 2005, 05:59 PM
Post #3

Bully for you

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,498

Totally agree with Pots on that one. Although I was a bit young to be going out clubbing (well, legally) when the episode was originally on, it has taken on an extra resonance with me since moving away from home and going out lots with my mates and many of the experiences documented in the episode are spot on and amazingly realistic in a way that other sitcoms have never managed to be.

It is a superb episode which, although it isn't my favourite, is amazing because it captures the essence of clubbing brilliantly but, more importantly, it seems to capture and preserve a point in time and, as pots mentioned, points out truths about the generation of people the creators belong to. This is a major part of the appeal of the series of course (At least to people of the aforementioned generation) and is present throughout the series as a whole, but isn't distilled and presented as perfectly as it is in this episode.

+Quote Post
Chapman Baxter
post Sep 4 2005, 08:42 PM
Post #4

The sick product of a crazy society

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,263

It now strikes me as a bit strange that this is my favourite episode, despite the fact that I was not a very representative example of the 'Spaced generation' as pots describes it. I was not much of a clubber, and when I did go clubbing my evenings were fuelled by alcohol rather than Es (though it must be said the episode has no drug references at all, except the amount of water they drink). I only ever spent a few weeks on the dole right after leaving college, and have been working in a suit for the last ten years. Yet I still felt - and continue to feel - that Spaced is about me and people I knew.

I think the other elements that pots mentioned - that 'we live our lives through the media, our experiences are diffused through a mess of film references and tv flashbacks' - explain much of this identification. The cultural ties that used to bind us together - religion, the class system, a common education grounded in the classics - have all dissolved or are dissolving, or apply only to small numbers of us. What does bring us together are all the memories we share from watching the same television programmes and films, and reading the same books. Bring together a bunch of people our age who have never met before, and sooner or later they'll start talking about programmes they remember from their childhood. We now create a sense of cultural identity by swapping references from films, comedies and cartoons. It was this that Spaced tapped into. It was probably not the first programme to do so, but I can't think of one that did it so well.

But it's not just the cultural references that make me love Spaced: it's the fact the characters behave like me and my friends. Tim throwing the cushion from the chair he's just sat down in (because blokes don't understand the reason for cushions), Tim and Daisy resolving their argument by deciding they're 'on another level' and soarguments are good, Brian - who 'doesn't go to clubs' - suddenly deciding he has to dance. I'm sure we've all done these things or know people who have.

This seems to have turned into more of an essay on Spaced than on Epiphanies. Well, this episode is quintessential Spaced for me; I find I can't really single out bits of it to mention, because the whole episode works perfectly from start to finish.

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Sep 8 2005, 07:08 PM
Post #5

OMNOMNOM

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 3,076

I agree with the above posts - it reminds me so much of my student days going out clubbing, dancing around like a prat and then falling asleep on the sofa when my housemates and I got home after cooking a feast of monstrous proportions. Whenever I watch this episode, I'm reminded of evenings at certain clubs we went to, stupid dances we all made up and just a lifestyle I'll probably never have again. It's a special kind of show that can capture that all so brilliantly in one episode.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 02:35 PM