Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Simpsons, TV Thread
theevilresident1...
post Oct 15 2005, 12:18 PM
Post #1

I'm Daisy - "writer."

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,220

I think my favourite episode would have to be the one called "Cape Feare" where Sideshow Bob once again tries to kill Bart, yet in the end a song solves all, HMAS Pinafore...Kelsey Grammer does a terrific job...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ingram
post Oct 15 2005, 04:11 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,514

Nothing from the last few series I'm afraid. The desire for more and more special guests and finding roles for them to play has diluted the writing of an already waning show. Kelsey Grammer is excellent in the role of "Sideshow Bob", one of the truly great guest appearances they have had - mainly because he HAS a character. Tony Blair and 50 Cent playing themselves in ridiculously short and hardly risible cameos are enough to make even the most die hard Simpson fan weep.

Worst. Episodes. Ever.

+Quote Post
Hughesie
post Oct 15 2005, 04:15 PM
Post #3

Football's just a branch of science

Member No.: 3,874

Any episode with Troy McClure in it. (so again, nothing recent)

+Quote Post
Ingram
post Oct 15 2005, 04:18 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Hughesie @ Oct 15 2005, 05:15 PM)
Any episode with Troy McClure in it. (so again, nothing recent)

Simpsons was never the same after the death of Phil Hartman. Troy McClure AND Lionel Hutz gone... shame shame.

This post has been edited by Ingram: Oct 15 2005, 04:19 PM

+Quote Post
maian
post Oct 15 2005, 04:29 PM
Post #5

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

I don't think that the new episodes are that terrible. Admittedly they are nowhere near as good as the early seasons (and the releases of these on DVD over the last few years only serves to highlight that) but they can still raise a smile. Not as many or as loud, but they are still vaguely humourous. Then again, the fact taht they have fallen in quality and that my defense of the show is somewhat weak is quite damning of the decline of the show over the years.

+Quote Post
Sir_Robin_the_br...
post Oct 15 2005, 04:31 PM
Post #6

Allow me to hold your face under the putrescent waters of knowle

Member No.: 3,662

My favourite episode is probably 'And MAggie Makes Three', due to its wonderful story, rather touching ending and of course Knightboat (the crime solving boat) is the icing on the cake. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
maian
post Oct 15 2005, 04:33 PM
Post #7

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

Hmm, favourite episode would be tough. I love all the ones with Sideshow Bob in, but my absolute favourite would be the one where Homer meets his mother for the first time. The shot of Homer sitting on his car staring at the sky at the end is genuinely very sad and heartbreaking (in my opinion)

+Quote Post
Ingram
post Oct 15 2005, 04:34 PM
Post #8

The decline is only natural. Unlike Futurama, the Simpsons has been allowed to go on unrestrained for a rather staggering SEVENTEEN seasons, the 17th is currently airing in the US I believe. The simple fact is they are going to milk it for as long as they can and then the DVD releases afterwards will continue especially to those who want the complete set - I myself own all the current DVD releases, but Im a boxset-fiend. My point is that people dont want to see the Simpsons off the air because it has been SO successful, the fact that the quality now is so low doesn't enter into it. However, in comparison to some shows the Simpsons is still very entertaining - but you cant help but compare to the older series.

+Quote Post
Ghost_862
post Oct 15 2005, 04:37 PM
Post #9

Daddy Cool

Member No.: 2,633

QUOTE (Ingram @ Oct 15 2005, 04:18 PM)
Simpsons was never the same after the death of Phil Hartman.  Troy McClure AND Lionel Hutz gone... shame shame.

What happened there?

I know his wife shot him, then shot herself, or something along those lines.

But why?

+Quote Post
Omniscia
post Oct 15 2005, 04:42 PM
Post #10

Candygram!

Member No.: 2,452

Well, it's a hard choice to make, but for my money, it would have to be the episode -- with special guest stars Baha Men (shouldn't it be Baja?) -- in which Marge saves Krusty from being trampled to death by an elephant by flashing her surgically-enhanced bust... not!

God, that one was almost as bad as the aforementioned 50-Cent one!

I don't know that I have any real favourite, but I certainly enjoyed the episode in which Homer, staggering home drunk after a night at Moe's, runs across an "alien," and Special Agents Mulder and Scully descend on Springfield to investigate.

Oh, yes, and Homer's perfect game (of bowling).

+Quote Post
Ingram
post Oct 15 2005, 04:50 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Ghost_862 @ Oct 15 2005, 05:37 PM)
What happened there?

I know his wife shot him, then shot herself, or something along those lines.

But why?

Courtesy of IMDB.com:
"On May 28th, 1998, Phil was shot to death while sleeping in his Encino, California home by his wife, Brynn Hartman. He was shot three times: in the forearm, neck, and head. Brynn left the house and later came back with a friend to show him the dead body. When her friend went to call 911, Brynn locked herself in the bedroom with Phil's lifeless body and stuck a second gun in her mouth and shot herself. It was later discovered by the coroner that Brynn had alcohol, cocaine and the antidepressant, Zoloft, in her system. It was a deadly cocktail that cost her and Phil their lives, and left their two children, Sean Edward (b. 1989) and Birgen (b. 1992) without parents"

+Quote Post
Omniscia
post Oct 15 2005, 04:52 PM
Post #12

Candygram!

Member No.: 2,452

Was that really only 7 years ago? It seems like much longer...

+Quote Post
fatseff1234
post Oct 15 2005, 05:25 PM
Post #13

Life's a grave, dig it.

Member No.: 2,711

Fav' episode? That's hard, erm...I dunno, its too hard. They're all too good, well except the latter ones ofcourse.

+Quote Post
Marty
post Oct 15 2005, 05:28 PM
Post #14

Guests

Not having anything other than Ch4 to see Simpsons on, I'm pretty fucking sick of the three or four episodes they keep showing.

I was never a fan anyway and now it just grates.

It's a shame Futurama didn't run for another season or two, it's far far superior.

+Quote Post
Ingram
post Oct 15 2005, 06:09 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Marty @ Oct 15 2005, 06:28 PM)
It's a shame Futurama didn't run for another season or two, it's far far superior.

You might get a bit of argument there, even from the Futurama faithful.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 11:02 AM