Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Daisy: sponger?
Jessopjessopjess...
post Oct 24 2005, 11:22 AM
Post #16

You do scribble

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,423

QUOTE (Chapman Baxter @ Oct 24 2005, 11:22 AM)
'But don't let that fool you - I'm really an OK guy.'

Signed Baxter, Chapman J
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris
post Oct 24 2005, 11:35 AM
Post #17

Three Pinter

Member No.: 3,687

QUOTE(Chris @ Oct 24 2005, 12:14 PM)
Chapman even called it "Daisy Scrounger"

Sponger. With a question mark. wink.gif

Whooooops! That'll learn me! I'll be thrown out of my facutly if any of my colleagues see such clumsy/lazy reference checking! Consider me admonished

Sure, as are most opinions when you get down to it. But it's hardly exclusively right wing to expect people to contribute to society - 'From each according to his ability' and all that.

Yes that is true, all speech, thought, action is ideolgically driven in some respect. That's all the fault of language being our only means of communication I suppose. Nice to see a thatcherite [with a small t - if such a thing exists] quoting Marx. Weird smile.gif smile.gif

(By the way, I am pretty right wing on a lot of issues. And I work in the advertising industry. 'But don't let that fool you - I'm really an OK guy.')

I nearly said "some of my best friends are Tories" but that's not true, although two of my fairly good friends are. Anyway, you seem absolutely lovely to me....for a Right wi.....no sorry I'll stop smile.gif biggrin.gif

C

+Quote Post
Dorf
post Oct 24 2005, 11:39 AM
Post #18

Hey-O Hey-O

Member No.: 2,356

Damn straight you lefty hippy. wink.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Oct 26 2005, 04:41 AM
Post #19

OMNOMNOM

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 3,076

I don't get irritated with Daisy at all - in fact, I think it's a great portrayal of our generation post-university. We all got up to our eyeballs in student debt in the name of three years drinking ourselves stupid ('..for which you received a third'), yet we always know that come the beginning of the semester, a large sum of money will deposit itself into our bank accounts. Said bank accounts also let us get overdrawn by thousands of pounds for free, and will pretty much always increase our credit limit.
Post-university, we all of a sudden need to pay the rent, bills and our beer habits without that magical injection of cash, and now the bank sends us threatening letters about how our interest-free overdraft is going to be closed soon and we'll owe them a shitload in interest. We don't really know what we're doing; we haven't figured out what we want to do and the part-time bar job really doesn't pay enough. We are Daisy.
It's easy to pigeonhole her as a sponger or a lazy get (which, to be honest, she is) but she is also a fictional character representing the same attributes in ourselves, to a greater or lesser extent. I've never signed on but I came really close just after graduating because I genuinely couldn't find a job. I'm stuck in drifterville right now because I'm not allowed to work (still) so I survive on odd cash-paid jobs but a lot of the time, I sit in the apartment drinking 12 cups of tea and not doing much. I can see how laziness does breed laziness. She's a good person who's ended up stuck, and in this episode she finally has to admit that and do some tedious jobs to make ends meet. I've always found the 'we are good with people/fuck you' bits hilarious. laugh.gif
/babble

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 06:09 AM