IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Are you new?

Please feel free to say hello here in the New Members thread.

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> "They took my life and put it right up on screen"
empathy-with-bea...
post Nov 13 2005, 04:35 PM
Post #1

Early 80's Tom Hanks

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,536

What are the little bits of the show that mirror you're own lives? I'm not talking about experiencing twenty something ennui or realising how hard it actually is to be a comic book artist/journalist/actor/musician whatever. I'm talking about the details. For me its:

Daisy in the club in "Epiphanies". "nah we're going to be fine , fine!". Most acurately drawn account of my clubbing experience ever.The shedding of all their insecurities and angst is so familiar and so insightfully done for my taste. Makes Human Traffic look like it was written by a Tory MP in comparison.

Mike calling Tim "Timmy". I have a friend who I've known since I was seven. Despite the fact we are now twenty five I still have to bite my tounge to stop myself calling him "Hugsy" rather than Hugo in front of other men.

Tim's first on screen conversation with Sophie.

Where does Spaced resonnate in your life?

This post has been edited by empathy-with-beast: Nov 13 2005, 04:36 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Adem
post Nov 13 2005, 05:28 PM
Post #2

Guests

the squat from the first episode, also the paintballing.. me and my friends are like that when we used to do paintball and quazar biggrin.gif:D:D

+Quote Post
empathy-with-bea...
post Nov 13 2005, 05:40 PM
Post #3

Early 80's Tom Hanks

hehehehe.

-What were you using last time?

-A big stick.

+Quote Post
Crutch
post Nov 13 2005, 07:55 PM
Post #4

No more smiling.

Member No.: 4,601

Being dumped by a bitch without a real explanation and from there on living next to a girl I should immediatly marry to save my soul, but I don't.

And feeling like the world is populated with Zombies.

+Quote Post
Gavrov
post Nov 17 2005, 04:32 PM
Post #5

Guests

I am a graphic artist who also draws comics and have had shit off my mates about spaced being some sort of huge weird conspiracy becuase I look like the Pegg. Then I ended up extra-ing in Shaun and got pulled out of the zombie ranks and asked to be his stand-in. I get people comiong up to me in pubs a lot these days asking me if I'm "that guy out of that zombie film". Even drive the same car. Never heard the last of it.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Nov 17 2005, 06:35 PM
Post #6

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,309

I think what 'Spaced' set out to do, and achieved so well, is its exploration of the platonic relationship between men and women.

For me what the show reflects most in my life is my relationships with my closest male friends.

+Quote Post
Gavrov
post Nov 17 2005, 09:03 PM
Post #7

Guests

Do you not think that's pretty much becuase Tim wasn't keen though? There's a lot of funny looks from Daisy in both series like she's just on the edge of being hurt quite a bit. I know they're all shacked up & stuff, but do you reckon they ever fancied each other at all in real life? Jessica Stevenson did look pretty cool at the beginning of series 2...

+Quote Post
Suebee42
post Nov 17 2005, 09:13 PM
Post #8

Two Pinter

Member No.: 4,627

When Daisy sits down to write, and gets distracted by something shiny... anything... to avoid work... that's me!

I have my own graphic design business at home... do you think I do work most of the time? No, I sit on my ass and read forums. LOL!

I have one client, but otherwise I rely on my part time retail job and the craft classes I teach... I guess it's a plus I don't have to sign on... but yeah, dodging design work to surf the web... or clean my jewelry... or do laundry... or buy things on eBay... or play with my rats... la la la...

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Nov 17 2005, 09:16 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

QUOTE (Gavrov @ Nov 17 2005, 09:03 PM)
Do you not think that's pretty much becuase Tim wasn't keen though? There's a lot of funny looks from Daisy in both series like she's just on the edge of being hurt quite a bit.

I know people often think that Daisy fancies Tim not vice versa, but look at the reaction from Tim when other men come into Daisy's life - jealous.

Not that I think they fancy each other, more that they care equally about each other in the same way; but when you do have best friend's of the opposite sex it's easy to become jealous when other people come into their lives.

The best thing (on both sides) is always to 'embrace the friend', but sometimes that's easier said than done.

I think they're very close but there's nothing romantic there (unless they're drunk).

+Quote Post
thirtyhelens
post Nov 17 2005, 09:16 PM
Post #10

Toasty

Member No.: 2,939

Earlier today I was walking back from Staples w/ some packing stuff I bought to send presents. Pulled a Daisy as I was strolling through the parking lot, I twirled the bag and beaned myself on the head w/ it. *thumbs up* Yeah. laugh.gif

That's just the tip of the iceberg...

This post has been edited by thirtyhelens: Nov 17 2005, 09:18 PM

+Quote Post
empathy-with-bea...
post Nov 18 2005, 02:00 PM
Post #11

Early 80's Tom Hanks

QUOTE (Zoe @ Nov 17 2005, 09:16 PM)
Not that I think they fancy each other,

I emphatically believ they fancy each other! Its not a truly platonic relationship but rather two sit-com series of coming to realise their perfect for each other, surley? I always read the affectionate way they sit on the bean bag together at the end of the final scene of the final episode as being a quiet acknowledgement of their true feelings for each other....Or am I missing something here?

+Quote Post
WiseJoeyD
post Nov 18 2005, 02:13 PM
Post #12

Rally ye! They are but girls with teddies

Member No.: 3,346

QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Nov 18 2005, 02:00 PM)
I emphatically believ they fancy each other! Its not a truly platonic relationship but rather two sit-com series of coming to realise their perfect for each other, surley? I always read the affectionate way they sit on the bean bag together at the end of the final scene of the final episode as being a quiet acknowledgement of their true feelings for each other....Or am I missing something here?

...that Tim's momentary hesitation to rest his head on Daisy's is cos he's afraid he'll get nits?!

-Brian's alienation from, and realisation it's not that bad, clubs. (Though for thankfully different reasons than him! Though,m I do make gravity go wonky causing nearby people to lose their footing/drinks.... maybe I'll get myself a spandex suit and fight crime with it!)

-Mike's weird homoerotic love for a friend that's [hilraiously] shunned by said straight "as David Hasselhoff" friend.

-The "if I reverse this situation, I'd be the suave one" that Daisy experiences on the phone to her just-now-ex-boyfriend

This post has been edited by WiseJoeyD: Nov 18 2005, 02:14 PM

+Quote Post
sleeping_pirate
post Nov 18 2005, 05:55 PM
Post #13

If I was young, I'd flee this town

Member No.: 3,052

QUOTE (Zoe @ Nov 17 2005, 06:35 PM)
I think what 'Spaced' set out to do, and achieved so well, is its exploration of the platonic relationship between men and women.

For me what the show reflects most in my life is my relationships with my closest male friends.

Definitely, for me that's what I have with my close male friends. We argue, fight and take the piss out of each other, but at the end of the day they can be quite protective of me and I feel safer with them than my girl friends.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Nov 18 2005, 06:01 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

You say that but when I was mugged a year ago my friend Ben stood by and did nothing, however last week when some kids came up behind us and punched my little brother in the side of the head Alyssa kicked absolute arse, pushing them off him and calling them 'little fucking cunts' (they ran away).

Nice.

+Quote Post
spacegurl
post Nov 18 2005, 06:07 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 2,345

Go Alyssa!

Generally, in my experience, girls look out for one another more. Boys either fight or flee.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 01:43 PM