Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Curb Your Enthusiasm, Like a virtual stop-and-chat
maian
post Nov 16 2005, 12:19 AM
Post #1

Bully for you

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,498

Since this is one of the finest comedy shows of the last few years I felt that it deserved a thread on it's own merits but I also thought it would be interesting to see if anyone here has had any 'Larry David incidents' happen to them, either recently or in the past.

I had one last week when I went to the cinema with my sister, we went for a meal beforehand and when we had to pay we didn't have enough small change so I had to give a large(ish) note as payment. The waitress took the money and went to the till, but didn't return with the change. This produced a Larry-Cheryl style discussion between me and my sister where we, quite loudly, complained about why she hadn't brought the change, saying things like ''She can't honestly believe we left a 15 tip on a 25 meal, it wasn't that fucking good'' and my sister telling me to sit still and not get up and complain. When we did eventually get the change the waitress gave me a really mean look for not waiting for the change and I gave an equally venomous look for wasting my time. The complaining between me and my sister continued almost until the film we saw came on. It was only afterwards that I realised how surreal the whole thing had been and how much I had sounded like Larry.

This post has been edited by maian: Nov 16 2005, 12:19 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Punkass
post Nov 16 2005, 12:29 AM
Post #2

GRACE!

Member No.: 3,791

I went to ask my homosexual supervisor a question and I was really tired after partying all night. He was speaking to another homosexual co-worker about some guy he had as a background on his computer. So I walk up mid-conversation and they said something about him being hot, then which he asks me "ain't that right, Kyle?". I responded without even thinking; "look, its way too early to be gay". There was just a pause and stares, I was giving that "I did mean for it to come out that way" face to both of them. *que oboe and horn music/cut scene*
Re-reading that, is sounds like a you had to be there moment, but it was fitting at the time.

+Quote Post
maian
post Nov 16 2005, 12:37 AM
Post #3

Bully for you

There was a moment I had a few months back that nearly wrecked my relationship with one of my friends back home, I'm reminded of this because the guys in your incident were gay and my friend used to be gay (ex-girlfriend, not worth going into here).

Anyway, it was at Easter and everyone was back from Uni and we were all at my pub for the monthly quiz, my friend had dropped out of Uni several months earlier and I thought she was really quite happy with the way things had turned out; she had a job, a boyfriend and things were looking up. When the paper for our team came around, my friend and another friend both wanted to write the answers down so I, jokingly, tried to weigh up which I should let write and I said ''Well Cat has her own pen, but Josie still goes to Uni'' at which point she stood up and went and spent about 10 minutes crying in the toilets. Things were on edge for the rest of the evening even after apologising.

+Quote Post
whitey
post Nov 16 2005, 12:45 AM
Post #4

never rub another man's rhubarb

Member No.: 2,308

Had a massive barny with a couple in a bar after the woman sprayed me with perfume because I had lit a cigarette. I'd only been in there a couple of minutes. Huge blazing row with complete strangers. Felt very Curb. My favourite bit was when the guy said he didn't want to leave the bar stinking and I said "why not? you stank when you came in."

I frequently have inappropriate shit spilling out of my mouth, most recently on Saturday night on my first date with this Irish girl. She told me her surname was Christie and I said "Like the cancer hospital."

Great show as well. LD is my hero.

+Quote Post
maian
post Nov 16 2005, 12:50 AM
Post #5

Bully for you

QUOTE (whitey @ Nov 16 2005, 12:45 AM)
I frequently have inappropriate shit spilling out of my mouth, most recently on Saturday night on my first date with this Irish girl. She told me her surname was Christie and I said "Like the cancer hospital."

That made me spit tea all over the screen! Oh dear, what was her response?

QUOTE (whitey @ Nov 16 2005, 12:45 AM)
Great show as well. LD is my hero.

Definitely, I watched Season 3 today(day off, woo!) and I loved the moment at the end when he starts swearing in order to save the chef embarassment and everyone joins in, really joyous and heroic moment even though it's just a little thing to do

This post has been edited by maian: Nov 16 2005, 12:50 AM

+Quote Post
whitey
post Nov 16 2005, 12:56 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (maian @ Nov 16 2005, 01:50 AM)
That made me spit tea all over the screen! Oh dear, what was her response?

Her: Or the auction house. Or Julie Christie.
Me: I prefer mine.

Went pretty well after that.

+Quote Post
Punkass
post Nov 16 2005, 12:57 AM
Post #7

GRACE!

QUOTE (maian @ Nov 15 2005, 07:50 PM)
I loved the moment at the end when he starts swearing in order to save the chef embarassment and everyone joins in, really joyous and heroic moment even though it's just a little thing to do

Fuck you, ya car wash cunt! I had a dental appointment!"

+Quote Post
pots
post Nov 16 2005, 02:21 AM
Post #8

escapee

Member No.: 2,818

what a great idea for a thread maian - i was trying to explain the concept of the programme to someone the other day ( it might have been our very own jessop ) and was using the 'stop and chat' as an example of the tiny breaches of ettiquette the programme is all about.

i was watching series three today but i can only really manage two episodes at a time without the cringing getting too much. but it makes me want to walk around shouting 'you sick fuck larry - you four eyed fuck' in a heavy jewish new york accent.

larry david is one of my role models. him and bernard black.

+Quote Post
maian
post Nov 16 2005, 12:21 PM
Post #9

Bully for you

He really is a wonder, I can relate to him much better than pretty much any other 'character' on TV since I do find it odd when people get horribly offended by small social faux pas (though I do understand when they get offended by HUGE faux pas) and his whole view on life is somewhat similar to mine. Can't wait for season five to make it's way over here.

+Quote Post
maian
post Nov 28 2005, 08:29 PM
Post #10

Bully for you

Does anyone else think that the final episode of season 3 'The Opening Night' seems to be made as if they were afraid that the show wouldn't get picked up again? They have so many of the regulars in the one episode and the end is so triumphant compared to other episodes that it seemed to me as if they made it thinking 'If we don't get another season made, then this will be a good way to end it'.

+Quote Post
Punkass
post Nov 28 2005, 09:01 PM
Post #11

GRACE!

I can see where you are coming from with that, especially since they film all 10 episodes, then air them. Although Series 5 I think has managed to try to offend ever person they possibly could. Regardless, "Grand Opening" is easily in my top 5 favorites. Series 5 has been great, the last 2 episodes are brilliant. Just a heads up, the final episode of Curb, Series 4 is an hour long, so adjust your recorders accordingly.

+Quote Post
maian
post Nov 28 2005, 09:04 PM
Post #12

Bully for you

Cool, I'm (hopefully) getting the Season 4 DVD for Christmas so that will make it a bit easier. Probably be ages before Season 5 gets an airing over here though.

+Quote Post
whitey
post Dec 20 2005, 06:35 PM
Post #13

Just finished watching season five. Hits some great new highs and has some top quality cameos (Hoffman!).

It does often seem like each season finale is hedging it's bets as to whether or not there will be another one, but I reckon that's more to do with whether or not LD can be arsed with it rather than HBO comissioning another series. It's not like he needs to be doing it.

This post has been edited by whitey: Dec 20 2005, 06:35 PM

+Quote Post
ipse dixit
post Dec 20 2005, 07:46 PM
Post #14

Fallon

Member No.: 2,946

QUOTE (whitey)
She told me her surname was Christie and I said "Like the cancer hospital."
Her: Or the auction house. Or Julie Christie.
Me: I prefer mine.
Too. Much. Laughter.

I think you might be my hero, whitey.

+Quote Post
maian
post Dec 20 2005, 10:22 PM
Post #15

Bully for you

QUOTE (whitey @ Dec 20 2005, 06:35 PM)
Just finished watching season five. Hits some great new highs and has some top quality cameos (Hoffman!).

It does often seem like each season finale is hedging it's bets as to whether or not there will be another one, but I reckon that's more to do with whether or not LD can be arsed with it rather than HBO comissioning another series. It's not like he needs to be doing it.

In the interview with Ricky Gervais didn't he say that he was doing it purely because he wanted to? That money wasn't an issue and he just wanted to push thinsg forward comedically. I think that's what he said, and he is even more a hero to me than he was before as a result.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 01:43 PM