Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Curb Your Enthusiasm, Like a virtual stop-and-chat
whitey
post Feb 19 2006, 09:09 PM
Post #31

never rub another man's rhubarb

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,308

QUOTE (tomassicarter @ Jan 18 2006, 02:18 PM)
Since LArry David says it's loosely based on his life is he really friends with Ted Danson?

I love the Danson friendship because it harks back to George Costanza's continual insistence that he was better than Danson. One of my favourite exchanges of the whole run.

George: I'm sorry. I can't live knowing Ted Danson makes that much more than me. Who is he?

Jerry: He's somebody.

George: What about me?

Jerry: You're nobody.

George: Why him? Why not me?

Jerry: He's good, you're not.

George: I'm better than him

Jerry: You're worse, much much worse.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maian
post Mar 27 2006, 11:21 PM
Post #32

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

I had a rather odd conversation today that seemed very much in the Curb vein, especially since, at the time, I didn't realise that what I said could be misconstrued as offensive or inappropriate, but people have now pointed this out to me.

First, some background: It is Disability Awareness Week at my Uni, but as I walked in there was a banner for Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual awareness week, so I was somewhat confused about which group we were meant to be aware of this week. On entering the radio office, the following conversation ensued:

Me: So, is it Disability week or...lesbians?
Another Person: Disabled lesbians?
Me: No, it's just that I saw stuff for both as I was walking in and I wondered which group I'm meant to pay attention to and which I can happily ignore for a week.
AP: I think it's disabilities.

+Quote Post
ipse dixit
post Mar 28 2006, 09:43 AM
Post #33

Fallon

Member No.: 2,946

QUOTE (maian @ Mar 28 2006, 12:21 AM)
Me: So, is it Disability week or...lesbians?
Another Person: Disabled lesbians?
Me: No, it's just that I saw stuff for both as I was walking in and I wondered which group I'm meant to pay attention to and which I can happily ignore for a week.
AP: I think it's disabilities.

You're wonderful.

I now have seasons 2 and 3 on dvd...I really need to make more time to watch them.

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post Mar 28 2006, 11:42 AM
Post #34

Cent Dix-Sept

Member No.: 2,258

More4 are currently showing the second series on Sundays at 9.30pm, but it clashes with 24! I managed to borrow that series on DVD from a friend, so I've seen them all, but I just hope they don't start showing series 3 while 24's still on - though its all academic really, as I'll have to move out of my flat before both have finished, without a digibox. Might have to get my own...though I'm put off by the current box - not only is the sound incredibly weak (and its own volume control busted), but the digital picture quality is rubbish - I'd rather have a bit of fuzz than jpeg-esque blockiness whenever anything moves. OPPOSE THE ANALOGUE SWITCH-OFF!

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Mar 28 2006, 11:45 AM
Post #35

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Mar 28 2006, 11:42 AM)
I'd rather have a bit of fuzz than jpeg-esque blockiness whenever anything moves. OPPOSE THE ANALOGUE SWITCH-OFF!

Good point - it can be surprisingly bad, can't it. I watched Curb on Sunday too, and the constant picture-jumping really affected the actors' performances!

+Quote Post
maian
post Mar 28 2006, 12:24 PM
Post #36

Bully for you

You're wonderful.

Aren't I just? As I said, it wasn't something that I thought about before saying and it was only when it was pointed out to me that I realised I had said something rather inappropriate. Had I not been in the company of people that I knew I would have got a bit of stick for it.

With regards to dodgy signals on digital; it all depends which of the digital providers you go for; Sky (though quite pricey) is generally very good quality unless you've got a terrible storm interfering with the reception. Freeview is pretty shite all round.

This post has been edited by maian: Mar 28 2006, 12:29 PM

+Quote Post
Sir_Robin_the_br...
post Mar 28 2006, 12:55 PM
Post #37

Allow me to hold your face under the putrescent waters of knowle

Member No.: 3,662

QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Mar 28 2006, 12:42 PM)
OPPOSE THE ANALOGUE SWITCH-OFF!

Never, Embrace it I say. Can't happen soon enough.

+Quote Post
maian
post Apr 17 2006, 07:07 PM
Post #38

Bully for you

So, Crutch, what is it excatly that you don't like about this show? I want actual reasons and, if possible, evidence (footnotes using the Harvard System are preferred) rather than ''It's shit''.

+Quote Post
Crutch
post Apr 17 2006, 07:33 PM
Post #39

No more smiling.

Member No.: 4,601

I never said I have any sophisticated reasons, but indeed I have.

So they main premisse of this show seems to be some Hollywood-people doni' nothing in particular, except once having produced Seinfeld (which was also a crap show by the way). Now they are doing they Holloywood/Beverly Hills nothingness of time spending like dinner parties or playing golf and stuff. This far, this show is just plain boring. Everything that could be said about such a premisse is allready said by Bret Easton Ellis and all in the late 80s.

Now there are things "happening" like people go to the movies and having little Bitchkrieg or getting irritated by the slightest hint, that humans actually have some kind of sexuallity. So this is mostly childish and uninteresting. Even if the authors manage to put a REALLY good line in there once in while.

Nontheless is this show really predictable due to its premisse.

Also the "characters" are flat as a pan-cake and have nothing to do with my life or my state of mind. (Except having produced Seinfeld, which I don't count as a good thing concerning my life.) That those people are struggling with the slightest bits of human life is not funny at all and there is something like "a human being is suffering on it's way of life in this post-modern world", which is nicely indicated by the really nice (and I use the term "nice" totally concious of its negative and slightly positive meanings) score. And the bits when the main character bitches with his wife about things in the modern world, that he doesn't like is not really satirical or intelligent or sublime neither are the stories which develope from such sightings. Even if I can fully understand, that you instantly hate a person having a different style than your own aesthetical sense can't stand.

The show doesn't work out what it is intended to be, as far as I understand it.

Did I forget anything?

So to sum it up:

The show is a piece of wank about some wankers wanking in Wanker County.

+Quote Post
BartonFink
post Apr 19 2006, 03:07 PM
Post #40

Guests

Some of these dolls are scary .......... Theres a bunch of bald ones up here .

+Quote Post
maian
post Apr 19 2006, 04:56 PM
Post #41

Bully for you

Thanks very much for the reply Crutch, noone likes a good argument more than me and you've made your points very eloquently and succinctly.

Personally I enjoy the show for many of the reasons that you hate it. I like the fact that it has absolutely no relevance to me because I can observe the situation of it completely objectively. Whereas most sitcoms depend upon recognisation and the viewer seeing something of themselves in the situation or the characters, Curb... is all about observation of behaviour and faux pas. The humour is derived from those moments in life where we slip up, where we say the wrong thing to the wrong person at the wrong time. This is a universal experience unlike any other because everyone says something tactless and unintentionally offensive at one time or another and this is the basis of the show.

At the heart of the series (I think, anyway) is the tried-and-tested idea of a fish out of water. Larry David is a man who has found tremendous success at something he loves and has wound up in a place which has no relation to his upbringing. As such he doesn't understand the social etiquette and niceties that his acquiantances are so hung up on, invariably leading to friction and the comedy that ensues.

Larry David is an asshole living amongst wankers. Therein lies the comedy and the reason why I think it is one of the finest comedy programs ever made.

+Quote Post
shinyelvenqueen
post Apr 19 2006, 05:43 PM
Post #42

Bad.

Member No.: 4,009

Having watched all four seasons, I have grown very fond of the show and sympathise with Larry's wife particularly. It is funny for me only because of the cringeworthy situation he gets himself into.

And I watched the shows all in one on christmas day whilst smoking weed, a fine day that was!

+Quote Post
maian
post Apr 19 2006, 08:24 PM
Post #43

Bully for you

All of them in one sitting? I love the show too but I find four or five in a row is a bit much cringeworthy goodness. 40 of them in a day is very impressive. Kudos.

Edit: 41 if you watched the pilot as well.

This post has been edited by maian: Apr 19 2006, 08:25 PM

+Quote Post
Crutch
post Apr 20 2006, 01:57 AM
Post #44

No more smiling.

Member No.: 4,601

Nice arguments on your side too, maian.

I'll go on to watch the show, but I'm sure that I'll never like it. But sometime you need hatelove. I feel good in not liking the show and enjoy some good lines. (No coke, H, snowball etc.)

+Quote Post
Henry Krinkle
post Apr 20 2006, 08:08 AM
Post #45

Fuelled by Dr Oetker Mozzarella Pizza™

Member No.: 3,821

QUOTE (maian @ Apr 19 2006, 05:56 PM)
Larry David is an asshole

Really? He's a little thoughtless at times, perhaps, but I wouldn't go as far as calling him an asshole.
In fact, I think he's something of a hero for our times.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 07:15 AM