Reply to this topicStart new topic
> DVD Final Fantasy 7 - Advent Children, Oh yes, it is finally here...almost
Atara
post Jan 15 2006, 11:47 PM
Post #1

Addict

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,814

Final Fantasy 7 - Advent Children : I have this on DVD from Japan so it is subtitled (which I think I will prefer of fear of cheesy English dubbing)

Being a huge fan of the game I have anticipated, waited, waited more, and for longer for this film to finally see its straight to DVD release, I think it arrives here in April, but have also seen a release date for February. I was dissapointed with the first Final Fantasy movie, The Sprits Within, but was in awe to the look of it. This film looks better and is better. Any fan of the FF series and especially FF7 will love it regardless. It features everyone from the game you could possibly want it to and it is seriously just exciting.

The story starts from 5 years after the ending of the FF7 game, seeing Cloud being a bit of an outcast trying to make a living and most of the gang split up doing there own thing around the world. Untill a group of Sephroth clones turn up looking for "Mother" and then it all unfolds with a mystery disease and promise of "A reunion".

The movie looks amazing, the battle sequences and the imagery is just awe inspiring, the best animation I think I have ever seen, it never gets boring or dull purely because of the visuals. It is definately a mazing sequel to what was an awesome game, although obviously not as in depth due to the time restraints of a film. But they have done an amazing job of it.

If you are not a fan of the games, this can still be a very enjoyable watch, it exlains briefly the story from the game and even if you are still clueless it is just a great watch. However it could e very easy to become confused and when people arrive that where in the game it will hold no significance to you at all, which could ruin it. Although I think the visual look of it will amaze anyone. Fans of anime and martial arts films will love it regardless, becuase it very true to the form of modern martial arts films etc etc. Although as I say, the greatest drawback of having no knowledge of the game would be loosing out on knowing who is who, as that really isn't explained at all.

I recommend everyone and anyone gives it a watch, it is beautiful. It will not be so good regarding story if you are not a fan of the game, but it will not loose you at all as it can be followed quite easily. One of the most amazing films I have ever seen, visually especially, and any fan of the game will die with joy when they see it.

Has anyone else seen it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Baz
post Jan 16 2006, 07:47 PM
Post #2

Crumpet?

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,244

I've played the games and I've seen this film, but it still didn't make any sense. The animation though is bloody fantastic and the fight scenes are awesome, if a little bit silly in places.

Still if you want something pretty for the eyes, then you won't go wrong here.

+Quote Post
maian
post Jan 17 2006, 11:13 AM
Post #3

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

I saw the film at my Uni anime society a few weeks ago (It's bloody spectacular on a big screen!) and I enjoyed it. I hadn't played the game, though I have started it now and it already makes a bit more sense. Still, it's more for the graphics and the joy of seeing the characters in full 3D than anything else, and I really loved it.

+Quote Post
dabariocca
post Jan 19 2006, 02:22 PM
Post #4

Burly legal

Member No.: 4,655

I don't know if it's the same thing or not but hey've just released Final Fantasy seven "The dirge of cerebus" in Japan check it out. The dirge of cerebus

+Quote Post
maian
post Jan 19 2006, 05:40 PM
Post #5

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

Has anyone else also seen the short film they made showing the Sephiroth/Cloud/Zack fight in the Mako reactor in full 3D? It was shown just before Avent Children when I saw it, but I can't remember the name at the moment.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Jan 24 2006, 11:31 PM
Post #6

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

QUOTE (Atara @ Jan 16 2006, 12:47 AM)
The story starts from 5 years after the ending of the FF7 game

2 years.

It's a good film, even if it is basically 1 long bike chase/sword fighting action scene. They knew what the fans wanted, and they gave it them by the bucketload. The fans wanted to see Cloud going down Midgar highway, they wanted to see the gang fighting a huge boss, and they wanted to see Cloud fighting Sephiroth in glorious animation, so that's what this film is. I enjoyed it, being a fan of the games, and a non-fan would enjoy it for the eye-candy, but that's all there is to it. There's no real story per say other than to move the action together.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing it. I loved it and will certainly be getting it on DVD (unless it's English dub only like Spirits Within, in which case I will not.) It still backs up my opinion that films of games aren't good, because as a stand-alone film it doesn't work due to it relying on you already knowing the cast, and having no real plot.

It was worth me skipping a lecture for though, and was a damn fun watch. I had my mouth open for most of it, and watched "the best bits" again straight afterwards. And again.

+Quote Post
Amazongirl
post Feb 5 2006, 03:55 PM
Post #7

Jaffacake Scoffing Geekgirl

Member No.: 2,333

Ive seen Advent childeren several times now (ok, 2).

Never played a final fantacy game in my life, know only the odd charater and what happened in 7 thanks to info from friends. Enjoied it though, brilliant graphics. The Mobile ringtone bit still makes me laugh biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Baz
post Feb 6 2006, 10:34 AM
Post #8

Crumpet?

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,244

QUOTE (Amazongirl @ Feb 5 2006, 03:55 PM)
The Mobile ringtone bit still makes me laugh biggrin.gif

I had forgot about that bit. Isn't the ringing tone the battle music from FF7? I think it is. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
zeden
post Feb 6 2006, 12:47 PM
Post #9

When doves cry

Member No.: 4,533

QUOTE (Baz @ Jan 16 2006, 07:47 PM)
I've played the games and I've seen this film, but it still didn't make any sense. The animation though is bloody fantastic and the fight scenes are awesome, if a little bit silly in places.

The only one of the games you need to have played is ff7.

dabariocca Posted Jan 19 2006, 02:22 PM
  I don't know if it's the same thing or not but hey've just released Final Fantasy seven "The dirge of cerebus" in Japan check it out. The dirge of cerebus

Its not directly linked to the film but does feature Vincent and Cait Sith as the two main playable characters.

I had forgot about that bit. Isn't the ringing tone the battle music from FF7? I think it is.

It is indeed. Most of the ff games feature that tune in some form or another after a fight.

maian Posted Jan 19 2006, 05:40 PM
  Has anyone else also seen the short film they made showing the Sephiroth/Cloud/Zack fight in the Mako reactor in full 3D? It was shown just before Avent Children when I saw it, but I can't remember the name at the moment.

Its called Last Order. Hope its on the UK disk.

I've said it elsewhere but, I loved this film so much. After years of reading about and hoping for an ff7 film it finally turned up and blew my mine. The whole thing is for the fans pure and simple.
The music is my main love, aside from the graphics. Every scene has re-jigged versions of music from the game. I really brought back memories and enhanced the film ten fold for me.
Cant wait to hear Barrat's voice on the dub-
"Your late bitch!"
I was weird to hear a Japanese guy do a voice for a massive black bloke.

+Quote Post
zeden
post Feb 6 2006, 12:55 PM
Post #10

When doves cry

Member No.: 4,533

QUOTE (dabariocca @ Jan 19 2006, 02:22 PM)

Its not directly linked storyline wise but does have Vincent and Cait Sith in it.

maian Posted Jan 19 2006, 05:40 PM

Its called Last Order. Really liked it. Hope its on the uk dvd.

I had forgot about that bit. Isn't the ringing tone the battle music from FF7? I think it is.

Its the vicory music thats appeared in one form or anther in most of the ff games.

I really cant wait for the UK dvd. Its so close now.
The film really was made just for the fans. I've watched this with a few people who didn't play ff7 (fools) and they just didnt get it.
The music is my highlight of the whole thing. Every scene has a re-jigged version of music from the game. When I heard the bike chase music come on during the chase my hair stood on end. Need to look into getting a copy of the soundtrack me thinks.

+Quote Post
wolfthe3rd
post Feb 17 2006, 07:19 PM
Post #11

One Pinter

Member No.: 4,941

omg it is so amazing i have seen it and ahhhhhhhhhhhh i loved it so much so ace arrrrrrrrrrrrr god has blessed us all

+Quote Post
Acidboy
post Feb 21 2006, 09:59 PM
Post #12

Three Pinter

Member No.: 4,928

QUOTE (Amazongirl @ Feb 5 2006, 03:55 PM)
Ive seen Advent childeren several times now (ok, 2).

Never played a final fantacy game in my life

you should try it. 7 is good and i personally liked ff10 but the girls i have spoken to tend to like 10-II. happy.gif FUN FUN FUN!

+Quote Post
Atara
post Mar 12 2006, 04:48 PM
Post #13

Addict

Member No.: 4,814

I hated FF10 and 10-II, the gameplay was a disgrace, the story coudld have been better, I hated that they had voices and it had no where near as many sub games, and no airship flying fun. Then 10-2 was even worse "oooh we can change clothes on girls" it really annoyed me, but I wish i'd completed it. FF 7 and 9 are my favourites for sure.

And sorry yeah it is 2 years, I alwasy seem to use 5 as my generic number of choice

+Quote Post
Lazlo Woodbine
post Mar 13 2006, 09:59 AM
Post #14

Infamous Wooden Spider

Member No.: 2,273

QUOTE (Atara @ Mar 12 2006, 05:48 PM)
I hated FF10 and 10-II, the gameplay was a disgrace, the story coudld have been better, I hated that they had voices and it had no where near as many sub games, and no airship flying fun. Then 10-2 was even worse "oooh we can change clothes on girls" it really annoyed me, but I wish i'd completed it. FF 7 and 9 are my favourites for sure.

I loved 10. The Blitzball sub game was great, though a little easy after the first match. Maybe it wasn't up to previous standards but it still kept me engrossed for days. 10-2 was rubbish though i'll give you that. It just wasn't the same without Nobuo Uematsu's compositions.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Mar 13 2006, 11:25 AM
Post #15

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

I played a demo of FFX and was able to endure for about 2 minutes before the voices annoyed me too much, and have never looked back since. IV, VII and VIII remain my favourites.

I just pray FFXII has better voices/Japanese voices/can turn them off, because I'm looking forward to it and don't want to be disappointed.

April 24th for a UK DVD, and I've a horrible feeling it's English only.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 09:18 PM