Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WWE and company, wrasslin' lovin' and hatin'
chadbeserk
post Jan 23 2006, 01:33 PM
Post #1

Daddy Cool

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,800

Hey, as an unashamed fan of the grapplin' game, I thought a Wrestling thread was needed. Some may agree, some will disagree but whatever your thoughts, put em here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zeden
post Jan 23 2006, 01:41 PM
Post #2

When doves cry

Member No.: 4,533

Not watched wrestling for years now. Used to watch back in the old days of Degeneration-x and co. Fell out of watching it now. Last thing I saw was a one legged man hitting someone with his fake leg. Its rubbish now because the younger wrestlers dont have the star power, thus they rely on wrestlers that should have retired decades ago.

+Quote Post
gulfcoast_highwa...
post Jan 23 2006, 01:44 PM
Post #3

We gotta make the planet safe for the kiddies

Member No.: 2,367

Damn straight.

Triple H and his backstage manouvers put a big dent in it. Rick Flair might be your mate, but the guy is acient. Stop using him!

+Quote Post
chadbeserk
post Jan 23 2006, 01:47 PM
Post #4

Daddy Cool

All the Good Ol' Boys putting over only their friends is what killed off WCW. Hopefully soon it'll be nipped in the bud.....but I doubt it.

Still Royal Rumble coming up soon. That's always been my favourite.

+Quote Post
dabariocca
post Jan 23 2006, 01:51 PM
Post #5

Burly legal

Member No.: 4,655

iwas about to say "Now that's cool!" then I read your posts. What about Kurt Angle? What about Carlito? What about Hiedenreich?

+Quote Post
gulfcoast_highwa...
post Jan 23 2006, 01:51 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (chadbeserk @ Jan 23 2006, 01:47 PM)
All the Good Ol' Boys putting over only their friends is what killed off WCW. Hopefully soon it'll be nipped in the bud.....but I doubt it.

Still Royal Rumble coming up soon. That's always been my favourite.

Yeah, but all the decent supercards are on PPV now, and I refuse to pay for them.

I used to enjoy staying up to watch Wrestlemania whilst posting on a wrestling board I frequent, it was fun. I think the lack of free supercards is what killed my love of WWE.

+Quote Post
chadbeserk
post Jan 23 2006, 01:56 PM
Post #7

Daddy Cool

Blame Channel 4. They buggered the whole free on Sky Sports thing up.

Kurt Angle is just amazing. Carlito isn't fit to tie up Angle's boots. As for Heidenreich, well the fact that WWE have let him go says how good he is.

+Quote Post
gulfcoast_highwa...
post Jan 23 2006, 01:59 PM
Post #8

Oh, Kurt is THE man. He can a good match with just about anybody. I remember him carrying Mark Henry to a decent performance once.

They try and make him a heel, but the smarks won't have it. He gets cheered however much they try and make him do evil. People just recognise that he is the best worker in the WWE.

+Quote Post
chadbeserk
post Jan 23 2006, 02:05 PM
Post #9

Daddy Cool

I cannot say enough good things about Kurt Angle. One of the best workers ever and probably the best technical wrestler ever. I'd love to see him and Bret Hart go at it. I remember reading this story about how when Kurt first came to WWE everyone wanted to shoot wrestle with him. One by one he took everyone on and no-one could pin him. Even Vince McMahon kept trying to have a go. It got to the point where at every opportunity Vince would appear out of nowhere and jump Angle. But he never could beat him. One time Vince jumped Angle as he came from the men's room on a plane. Angle threw Vince off and put him in a hold when Kurt was picked up from behind and choked out by the Undertaker. When he came around all the wrestlers were standing over him and Vince said "Welcome to the family". I love that story.

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Jan 23 2006, 02:34 PM
Post #10

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

QUOTE (chadbeserk @ Jan 23 2006, 02:05 PM)
I cannot say enough good things about Kurt Angle. One of the best workers ever and probably the best technical wrestler ever

I can't see how you can call any of these 'athletes' good technicians. That's just stuff the commentators spout to make it sound like a real sport - it's all so faked that even I could look like a wrestling expert with enough lycra and a ridiculous name.

My brother was a huge fan in the mid-90s when it was popular, so I used to watch it by proxy. I don't mean to attack you personally - I just cannot understand the people who take it seriously.

I don't even understand people who know it's faked and continue to enjoy it. What's to enjoy? Discuss...

+Quote Post
WiseJoeyD
post Jan 23 2006, 02:38 PM
Post #11

Rally ye! They are but girls with teddies

Member No.: 3,346

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jan 23 2006, 02:34 PM)
I don't even understand people who know it's faked and continue to enjoy it. What's to enjoy? Discuss...

I can't quite reconcile the fact it's all fake and the vivid description I got in P4 of when a wrestler had hi arm torn off...

Maybe this hushed up watershed for the sport pushed it into "camp changing rooms tiffs and ridiculous pile-driving pantomime"?!

Actually, why not have at it and put that on the posters!? Then have kids come and shout "oh no you didn't!"

+Quote Post
gulfcoast_highwa...
post Jan 23 2006, 02:41 PM
Post #12

I can't see how you can call any of these 'athletes' good technicians. That's just stuff the commentators spout to make it sound like a real sport - it's all so faked that even I could look like a wrestling expert with enough lycra and a ridiculous name.

My brother was a huge fan in the mid-90s when it was popular, so I used to watch it by proxy. I don't mean to attack you personally - I just cannot understand the people who take it seriously.

Like all staged entertainment, there is still skill involved. Telling a story through wrestling takes talent, as it does in any medium.

Some wrestlers are more technically skilled than others. They can perform more moves, can 'sell' better, can make matches more exciting, etc, etc.

Don't ever listen to a commentator telling you a wrestler is 'technically gifted' though, they talk utter crap.

Kurt Angle is genuinely a bloody good wrester, he has the Olympic Gold Medals to prove it. He is as hard as nails.

+Quote Post
chadbeserk
post Jan 23 2006, 03:37 PM
Post #13

Daddy Cool

Wrestling (professional anyway) is no longer considered a serious sport. It now falls under the heading of Sports Entertainment, which encompasses both the serious athletic side and the scripted, "fake" side. Yes, there is a big element of the scripted side in peoples' perception of wrestling. "But it's all fake!" as a wrestling fan, I here it all the time. So is nearly everything you watch and enjoy on television. Do people berate others who watch and enjoy Coronation Street? Why not? It's fake. Wrestling used to overprotect it's "fake" identity or "kayfabe" as it's actually called. But no-one believed that Mr and Mrs Hogan decided to call their son "Hulk" or that the Undertaker really did exist. It's part of the storytelling and part of the magic. No-one believes that it's real. But that doesn't stop us enjoying it and suspending our believe when Undertaker rises from the grave or Stone Cold beats all the odds to overcome Vince McMahon or Chris Benoit finally reaches the pinnacle of the wrestling business by winning the title.

The best wrestlers can tell a great story while they are in the ring. That's what makes them special in a lot of fans' eyes. That's why when you mention people like Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Mick Foley, Ric Flair, the fans starts smiling. They are masters of their trade. But it's not all that faked. If you're a three hundred pound and you fall 18 foot from the top of a cell through a table, it's going to hurt a tad. But because wrestling is not considered a serious sport, the type of injuries that are associated with everyday "sports" such as football etc have to performed with. One match for example, the Hell in the Cell confrontation between Mankind and Undertaker is a good example of this. Undertaker went into the match WITH a broken foot. This wasn't a storyline. He genuinely had a broken foot. This only came to light in Mick Foley's biography. After the match (which has since been called one of the greatest matches ever) Undertaker still had a broken foot and Mankind had a seperated shoulder, a broken rib, a hole in the bottom of his lip that he could stick his tongue through, three broken teeth and a concussion. If that's fake, I'd hate to see what it would be like if it was real.

For all the doubters, I thoroughly recommend you pick up a copy of Mick Foley's book "Have A Nice Day". It's a good read for fans and non fans alike but it gives you a perspective on what injuries a professional wrestler can pick up in this so called "fake sport".

+Quote Post
empathy-with-bea...
post Jan 23 2006, 03:44 PM
Post #14

Early 80's Tom Hanks

Member No.: 4,536

Good argument, but its still a "fake" sport whilst being "real" entertainment (you can tell I'm mid way through a liberal arts degree becuase I put "real" in inverted commas.).

Also I'm not convinced that all those people watching it in those giant auditoriums know its fake, some of them look a) pretty slow, and b) pretty invested in the fight.

I like wrestling though, so these aren't major digs.

+Quote Post
gulfcoast_highwa...
post Jan 23 2006, 03:49 PM
Post #15

A good tip is to watch it drunk. Then it really is
.........er.............real.

+Quote Post