IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

53 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Life On Mars/Ashes to Ashes, Retro Cop Action!
Jimmay
post Apr 10 2007, 10:16 PM
Post #211

William Shatner Shat on my Platter

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 6,090

In my opinion, we just saw the end of Sam's life and I think the whole comment on the radio about losing him, combined with the strange camera angles, turning off of the screen and the fact that he'd just lept off a building confirms that. Although the ambiguity is fantastic as has been said before, we shall never really know.

I thought it was fantastic but was a really bleak prospect on life in all honesty.

Kind of reminded me of American Beauty though for some reason?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ade
post Apr 10 2007, 10:22 PM
Post #212

Ade Flanders

Group: Senior Moderators
From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

QUOTE (Jimmay @ Apr 10 2007, 11:16 PM)
Kind of reminded me of American Beauty though for some reason?

I have no idea what you're talking about I'm sure.

But I will one day.

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post Apr 10 2007, 10:27 PM
Post #213

William Shatner Shat on my Platter

Member No.: 6,090

QUOTE (Ade @ Apr 10 2007, 10:22 PM)
I have no idea what you're talking about I'm sure.

But I will one day.

OOOOOOOOOOO

*touches nose with one hand and points at Ade with the other while cheekily grinning*

(that works in my head but I'm not sure if I put it across particularly well?)

+Quote Post
sarkybarker
post Apr 10 2007, 10:29 PM
Post #214

The Tea and Coffee making facilities left a lot to be desired.

Member No.: 5,987

QUOTE (Jimmay @ Apr 10 2007, 10:27 PM)
OOOOOOOOOOO

*touches nose with one hand and points at Ade with the other while cheekily grinning*

I'm with you on this one Ade! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Raven
post Apr 10 2007, 10:42 PM
Post #215

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

You know, the more I think about this, the more I'm convinced that was an exceptionally clever piece of television - and we don't get nearly enough of them . . .

+Quote Post
maian
post Apr 10 2007, 10:44 PM
Post #216

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 10 2007, 11:42 PM)
You know, the more I think about this, the more I'm convinced that was an exceptionally clever piece of television - and we don't get nearly enough of them . . .

The fact that we've discussed the ending more than we discussed the rest of the show (proportionally that is, 3 pages in 2 hours compared to 11 pages in a year) would attest to the brilliance of that ending. I was initially a bit sceptical but it is such a well constructed ending and much more open to interpretation than I first thought.

+Quote Post
Atara
post Apr 10 2007, 10:49 PM
Post #217

Addict

Member No.: 4,814

What about the if you can't feel it isn't real thing, does that mean modern world wasn't real, since he couldn't feel. Or have you covered this

I missed too much of this show to really know to be honest.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Apr 10 2007, 10:59 PM
Post #218

Space Cowboy

QUOTE (maian @ Apr 10 2007, 11:44 PM)
The fact that we've discussed the ending more than we discussed the rest of the show (proportionally that is, 3 pages in 2 hours compared to 11 pages in a year) would attest to the brilliance of that ending. I was initially a bit sceptical but it is such a well constructed ending and much more open to interpretation than I first thought.

I'd have to say that I initially thought "Is that it?", but then I started to think about what I'd seen over the last hour, and coupled with what people have posted here - and on some other sites - I'd have to say the ole grey matter is now working overtime.

It was just so very clever - it not only gave more than one interpretation for the ending, it tied in beautifully with the beginning of the story.

The second series may not have hit the same mark - in places - that the first did, but I'd have to say that the conclusion was a work of genius.

+Quote Post
maian
post Apr 10 2007, 11:02 PM
Post #219

Bully for you

QUOTE (Atara @ Apr 10 2007, 11:49 PM)
What about the if you can't feel it isn't real thing, does that mean modern world wasn't real, since he couldn't feel. Or have you covered this

I missed too much of this show to really know to be honest.

Well, it could mean that it wasn't real because he couldn't feel anything, or it could mean that he was ignoring the pain in order to justify his belief that the 'real' world wasn't actually real, thus making it okay in Sam's mind for him to jump off the roof because it would return him to 1973. It also could have been a reflection of his state of mind and the generally sense of numbness he felt upon returning to the 2007.

+Quote Post
Ade
post Apr 10 2007, 11:04 PM
Post #220

Ade Flanders

Group: Senior Moderators
From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

QUOTE (Jimmay @ Apr 10 2007, 11:27 PM)
OOOOOOOOOOO

You forgot the wink for that finishing touch. wink.gif

QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 10 2007, 11:42 PM)
QUOTE (maian @ Apr 10 2007, 11:44 PM)

Yes indeed.

+Quote Post
sarkybarker
post Apr 10 2007, 11:04 PM
Post #221

QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 10 2007, 10:59 PM)
I'd have to say that I initially thought "Is that it?", but then I started to think about what I'd seen over the last hour, and coupled with what people have posted here - and on some other sites - I'd have to say the ole grey matter is now working overtime.

It was just so very clever - it not only gave more than one interpretation for the ending, it tied in beautifully with the beginning of the story.

The second series may not have hit the same mark - in places - that the first did, but I'd have to say that the conclusion was a work of genius.

Yep, me too. As it was going on i was thinking "this can't be it", but that was the clever thing. It was subtle and thought provoking at a time when they could've gone for the big over the top conclusive ending.

This post has been edited by sarkybarker: Apr 10 2007, 11:06 PM

+Quote Post
maian
post Apr 10 2007, 11:07 PM
Post #222

Bully for you

My initial thoughts about it were that the ending wasn't ambiguous enough. That it was a half-hearted attempt to be vaguely ambiguous by throwing in little comments like ''I can't feel'' etc, but I now realise that it was those little bits that created just enough doubt to make it worth looking at time and again. And, with gentle prodding from this place, all sorts of possibilities appear. I read a few reviews that said it was a disappointing ending, but I personally think it's far cleverer than I and otehrs gave it credit for.

This post has been edited by maian: Apr 10 2007, 11:08 PM

+Quote Post
Raven
post Apr 10 2007, 11:10 PM
Post #223

Space Cowboy

QUOTE (sarkybarker @ Apr 11 2007, 12:04 AM)
Yep, me too. As it was going on i was thinking "this can't be it", but that was the clever thing. It was subtle and thought provoking at a time when they could've gone for the big over the top conclusive ending.

Absolutely!

The best stories DON'T explain everything, they leave it to you to find your own meaning in them.

I'm now firmly in the camp that thinks a definitive answer to the series would have been the worst thing they could have done - as I said before, this will be talked about for years, which to my mind is what as a series Life on Mars deserves!

+Quote Post
sarkybarker
post Apr 10 2007, 11:16 PM
Post #224

QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 10 2007, 11:10 PM)
Absolutely!

The best stories DON'T explain everything, they leave it to you to find your own meaning in them.

I'm now firmly in the camp that thinks a definitive answer to the series would have been the worst thing they could have done - as I said before, this will be talked about for years, which to my mind is what as a series Life on Mars deserves!

True. What would you prefer? Inspector Morse finding the murderer on 58 minutes or a show that will leave you excited and full of opinions long after the credits have rolled?

+Quote Post
Raven
post Apr 10 2007, 11:36 PM
Post #225

Space Cowboy

QUOTE (maian @ Apr 11 2007, 12:07 AM)
I read a few reviews that said it was a disappointing ending, but I personally think it's far cleverer than I and otehrs gave it credit for.

There are a lot of people out there tonight who are over-thinking this.

I've just read a comment from someone who thought that because there is a link between BBC Wales and Julia Gardner, that could mean that Life on Mars was, in fact, connected to Doctor Who in some way . . . rolleyes.gif

I'll be disappointed if this does get duff reviews tomorrow though, it was an intelligent piece of television and I think it deserves recognition for being that.

+Quote Post

53 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 03:48 PM