IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Are you new?

Please feel free to say hello here in the New Members thread.

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Most obscure reference., What the heck did they do there?!
Crutch
post Sep 17 2006, 08:04 PM
Post #31

No more smiling.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,601

QUOTE (Madstunts @ Sep 17 2006, 12:59 AM)
When I watched the series I thought I'd spotted a reference, but it isn't mentioned in the Homage-O-Meter

I can't remember the episode, but there's a shot which pans around Tim playing video games and in the background are Daisy and Brian doing stuff, but really speeded up.

There's an identical shot in the movie Hackers, with Jonny Lee Miller in the foreground hacking on a computer with several characters in the background, really speeded up.

I'm convinced this actually happened, but I'm having trouble finding the episode in question. Any ideas?

If I'd be qouting "Hackers" I wouldn't put it on the homage-o-meter either. Whoa there... Hackers!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Madstunts
post Sep 17 2006, 08:50 PM
Post #32

Guests

QUOTE (Crutch @ Sep 17 2006, 08:04 PM)
If I'd be qouting "Hackers" I wouldn't put it on the homage-o-meter either. Whoa there... Hackers!

Well, when I saw Hackers in the cinema I thought it was dreadful, but since then, it's grown on me.

...a bit like athlete's foot.
smile.gif

This post has been edited by Madstunts: Sep 17 2006, 08:50 PM

+Quote Post
Crutch
post Sep 17 2006, 09:22 PM
Post #33

No more smiling.

Angelina Jolie is taking her shirt off, right? This thing in the pool right? The movie made some impression on me too.

+Quote Post
Jon 79
post Sep 18 2006, 08:58 AM
Post #34

Dreaming my life...

Member No.: 2,336

QUOTE (Crutch @ Sep 17 2006, 09:04 PM)

But they didn't mind referencing Waterworld in Mettle. Hackers is a far superior film.

I thought the Bottle Rocket style boiler suits were quite an obscure reference back in 2001. ... but only cos I'd never heard of the film. (though I had Rushmore & Royal Tenenbaums)

This post has been edited by Jon 79: Sep 18 2006, 08:59 AM

+Quote Post
R3Dl2ULZ
post Sep 25 2006, 10:57 AM
Post #35

Three Pinter

Member No.: 3,818

I love Bottle Rocket. not particularly funny. actually i dont know why i even like it. but i do

+Quote Post
Gussleeven
post Sep 26 2006, 08:48 PM
Post #36

Guests

QUOTE (Crutch @ Sep 17 2006, 04:04 PM)

Maybe you'll feel better if I suggest that it was referencing The Ballad of Cable Hogue.

+Quote Post
Omniscia
post Sep 26 2006, 09:59 PM
Post #37

Candygram!

Member No.: 2,452

QUOTE (Matthew @ Feb 20 2006, 04:14 PM)
Most obscure reference has to be in Series 1 Episode 6 when Brian wakes up and his clock shows 11:21. Apparently this time is always shown on The X Files because it's the birthday of the wife of Chris Carter.

QUOTE (Matt Curran @ Mar 1 2006, 05:56 PM)
the referance to x-files "11:21" is because wheneva simon pegg and edgar wright watched x-files and they showed a clock it always showed 11:21 on it. and aparently the writer of x-files had some dodgey reason for doing it but i cant seem to rember y...

All right, so it's more than half a year past due, but I'm afraid I must insist on pointing out that the time displayed frequently in The X-Files is 10:13, not 11:21.

+Quote Post
canadave
post Nov 23 2006, 10:00 PM
Post #38

One Pinter

Member No.: 5,031

Sorry to dredge up a somewhat old topic, but I just wanted to share a Spaced reference I just figured out--and it's somewhat ironic that I'd find out the meaning of the reference on this particular day (you'll see why once I explain).

I was watching The Simpsons the other evening, and it was the episode called "Grampa vs. Sexual Inadequacy," where the adults of Springfield find their sex lives dramatically improved by a tonic invented by Homer's dad. As adults start to disappear into their bedrooms in the middle of the day, the kids of Springfield can't figure out what's going on. A number of them have a meeting in Bart's treehouse one day to discuss what could possibly be happening to the adults. During the meeting, Bart says: "We're through the looking glass here, people."

It suddenly struck me that I'd heard that phrase somewhere before. Spaced fans will of course remember that Tim says that exact phrase during the meeting they have to retrieve Colin from the vivisectionist!

OK, so what's going on here? I wondered. Is Spaced homaging The Simpsons? Is The Simpsons homaging Spaced?

Actually, they're both homaging Oliver Stone's movie, "JFK." In that film, New Orleans District Attorney Garrison (played by Kevin Costner) has a meeting with his assistant district attorneys, and says: "We're through the looking glass here, people. Where white is black and black is white." And that's where the line comes from!

Now, how spooky is it that I just figured out that reference, by accident and after a little investigation with Google, on November 22...the anniversary of JFK's assassination??? wacko.gif

--Dave

This post has been edited by canadave: Nov 23 2006, 10:02 PM

+Quote Post
Crutch
post Nov 23 2006, 11:56 PM
Post #39

No more smiling.

^I think, that JFK is referring to the Alice in Wonderland sequel "Through the looking Glas" and is like saying "We're not in Kansas anymore, Colin."

But I like your paranoia. wink.gif

+Quote Post
canadave
post Nov 24 2006, 12:48 AM
Post #40

One Pinter

Well, yes, of course....the phrase "through the looking glass" is a reference to the Alice in Wonderland sequel, obviously rolleyes.gif

But that specific usage of it, in "Spaced" and "The Simpsons": "We're through the looking glass here, people"--word for word--is from the movie.

This post has been edited by canadave: Nov 24 2006, 12:49 AM

+Quote Post
dolfyn
post Nov 24 2006, 04:18 AM
Post #41

Blood's thicker than water, but blood leaves a stain.

Member No.: 4,984

Wow, that is spooky. I love it when things just fall into line in an uncanny way like that. happy.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
tongue.gif

+Quote Post
m0r1arty
post Nov 24 2006, 12:40 PM
Post #42

Feel the Rainbow

From: Sitting between Civil Liberties and the Data Protection Act
Member No.: 3,341

Isn't it in the Matrix as well?

Or something very much like it....

Gimme a tick whilst I IMDB....

Well The SImpsons episode first aired in 1994 (in the US) so by the time it got shown here it might have been prime for Spaced to pay hommage to.

But I think it's just a phrase that people use in movies when they're up against a real problem (etym - Alice in Wonderland 2)

-m0r

+Quote Post
canadave
post Nov 24 2006, 05:57 PM
Post #43

One Pinter

QUOTE (m0r1arty @ Nov 24 2006, 06:40 AM)
But I think it's just a phrase that people use in movies when they're up against a real problem (etym - Alice in Wonderland 2)

-m0r

I refer the honourable gentleman to the reply I gave some moments ago tongue.gif

Not to belabor the point...but the usage, in The Simpsons and in Spaced, is very specific--not just in the wording, but in the situational parallels to the scene in JFK. Any contemporary reference to "through the looking glass" in general, is, yes, ultimately attributable to Lewis Carroll. But the *specific wording* and the similarity of the scenes involved makes it quite clear that the reference in Spaced and The Simpsons is to JFK.

At least, that's my opinion, and in true ex-New Yorker fashion, I'll stick to it smile.gif

This post has been edited by canadave: Nov 24 2006, 06:00 PM

+Quote Post
m0r1arty
post Nov 24 2006, 07:05 PM
Post #44

Feel the Rainbow

From: Sitting between Civil Liberties and the Data Protection Act
Member No.: 3,341

Fair do's.

It was Millhouse that says it though! tongue.gif

-m0r

+Quote Post
canadave
post Nov 24 2006, 07:45 PM
Post #45

One Pinter

QUOTE (m0r1arty @ Nov 24 2006, 01:05 PM)
Fair do's.

It was Millhouse that says it though! tongue.gif

-m0r

Really?? I could've sworn it was Bart! smile.gif But I'll yield that point, it's quite possible I remembered that wrong.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 12:27 PM