IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SILENCE OF THE LAMBS vs SEVEN, Tell me about your mother...
Which do you like best?
Which do you like best?
SILENCE OF THE LAMBS [ 17 ] ** [44.74%]
SEVEN [ 20 ] ** [52.63%]
Both poo [ 1 ] ** [2.63%]
Total Votes: 38
Guests cannot vote 
Sostie
post Feb 14 2006, 09:47 AM
Post #1

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

On this, Valentines Day, it is only right that this week's versus should be...*

SILENCE OF THE LAMBS
Non-vegetarian nut-job quack helps a rookie FBI agent track down a non PETA subscribing tranny seamstress.

SEVEN
Abs & Mr Dignity investigate a series of kerazy killings, that all seem be linked by the Magnificent Seven....or something like that. The only film with a murder named after the freak in Goonies.

* yes, I have been hurt.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Feb 14 2006, 10:00 AM
Post #2

You do scribble

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,423

What an appropriate poll for this special day.

I plumped for Se7en. Ever since I saw the movie at the cinema, it has been amid my top ten films of all time, despite my not watching it very often. Which is understandable - it's grim, violent and emotionally draining. But these are also its strong points. It's one of the most visceral, fascinating films ever made, and it draws you into its rain-sodden, underlit world until even you fear the mysterious killer. I saw the movie at the time when I was beginning to 'understand' films and the craft by which they are made - David Fincher's work here is exceptional, and was instrumental in developing my burgeoning interest in film.

The Seven Deadly sins are a particularly identifiable device, giving extra resonance to the story - who of us can really admit to never having committed such acts? They are part of human's selfish nature after all.

The acting is great - Pitt is his best role, IMO, with the always excellent Freeman as the old hand. It seems to be trendy at the moment to belittle Morgan Freeman's 'dignity' and 'gravitas', but this is really the defining example of his abilities, and therefore exempt from such criticism.

+Quote Post
ipse dixit
post Feb 14 2006, 10:01 AM
Post #3

Fallon

Member No.: 2,946

Darn, very tough call. I'm gonna have to do some real soul searching and come back to this.

+Quote Post
DazDaMan
post Feb 14 2006, 10:23 AM
Post #4

It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.

Member No.: 3,744

It simply has to be Se7en for me.

When I first saw it, I raved about it to everyone I knew, and when they saw it they came back to me and raved about how good it was.

When I saw Silence of the Lambs for the first time, I can remember not being that amazed by it, but I still think it's an excellent movie.

But it has to be Se7en, simply because I rewatched it two or three times in the same weekend after I first saw it. Plus, it has the most beautiful version of Air on the G-string by Bach that I've ever heard....

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Feb 14 2006, 11:39 AM
Post #5

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,309

You're all wrong.

And Adam, I'm surprised at you. Any film title that uses a number in place of a letter is automatically inferior to one that doesn't. '7' doesn't even look like a 'v'!

'Se7en' (eurgh) is a fun and imaginative thriller with a great dynamic between its central protagonists and a stupid ending. It's not smart enough to be one thing and not gory enough to be another, though it does showcase Fincher's talents the script's just not up to scratch.

I don't hate it, I just think for such a silly film it's massively overrated (and the word is 'avarice' not 'greed').

"But that doesn't make any sense."

"Of course not it's contrived nonsense which is why is will be studied forever"

'Silence of the Lambs' is a fun and imaginative thriller with a brilliant dynamic between its central protagonists and a fantastic ending. It has two well drawn serial killers (as opposed to one motiveless plot device) and it won five Oscars, including best picture.

It's just a better film.

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Feb 14 2006, 11:47 AM
Post #6

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

*raises handbag in Zoe's direction*

Sorry, but I can't help but think of French and Saunders.

+Quote Post
ipse dixit
post Feb 14 2006, 11:47 AM
Post #7

Fallon

Member No.: 2,946

But which one has Gwyneth Paltrow's head in a box, eh? Eh?

I've still not chosen.

+Quote Post
Blind I/O
post Feb 14 2006, 11:55 AM
Post #8

Would you like to see my mask?

Member No.: 2,406

I voted for Seven too.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Feb 14 2006, 11:55 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Feb 14 2006, 11:47 AM)
*raises handbag in Zoe's direction*

Sorry, but I can't help but think of French and Saunders.

and I can't help but think of Adam and Joe...

QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Feb 14 2006, 11:47 AM)
But which one has Gwyneth Paltrow's head in a box, eh? Eh?

"What's in the box!? What's in the box?! Her head's in the box!"

"It's detachable you stupid bastard, now shoot him!"

"We're the last two dwarves Swills, I'm so very grumpy and you, you're just so Dopey"

+Quote Post
dandan
post Feb 14 2006, 11:56 AM
Post #10

Addict

Member No.: 4,256

well, i plumbed for 'silence of the lambs' too.

i remember going to america in 1991 and seeing the book; i bought it after it was recommended by an american friend who said the film was meant to be amazing. i read the book and really enjoyed it, it was one of those that you just couldn't put down. plus, as i was a passenger on the long road from new orleans to houston, i had plenty of reading time on my hands. it was a very enjoyable read and harris' attention to detail was great.

about a year later, my mum sneaked me into the cinema to watch it as i was a couple of years too young. as is always the case, i didn't enjoy it as much as the book, but it would have had to have been a mini-series to cram everything from the book in there.

overall, despite the fact that it has become such a parodied film and spawned dreadful sequels, it's still a pretty solid, well made film. i don't love it, but i do kind of like it.

as for 'se7en' (and with 'fight club') you'd think that people had never seen a film with a bit of stlye injected into it; the collective masturbation from audiences was a little disconcerting to say the least. yep, i have fincher issues...

considering that i physically cringed with embarassment whilst watching 'fight club', 'se7en' didn't annoy me that much; it's just a pretty run of the mill cop thriller, with a bit of sadism and a bit of style. it's not great, but i suppose that it made an effort...

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Feb 14 2006, 12:08 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE (dandan @ Feb 14 2006, 11:56 AM)
considering that i physically cringed with embarassment whilst watching 'fight club', 'se7en' didn't annoy me that much; it's just a pretty run of the mill cop thriller, with a bit of sadism and a bit of style. it's not great, but i suppose that it made an effort...

There seems to be an abiding misconception that it's about ten times smarter than it really is and if I hear one more mention of the word dignity in relation to Morgan Freeman... I'll eat his liver with some faver beans and a nice Chianti.

Which reminds me, Anthony Hopkins performance was so extraordinary that it's now in our collective unconscious, like Brando in 'The Godfather' 'Hannibal the Cannibal' has become more than a character in a film. Even people who haven't seen the film would spot a Lecter impression when they saw one I can't say the same about Spacey's 'John Doe' - though he'd obviously seen Hopkins performance if you know what I mean.

"We couldn't catch this killer even if he walked right into this police station and confessed to all the murders".

"Hello, I'm the killer I'd like to confess to all the murders."

+Quote Post
chadbeserk
post Feb 14 2006, 12:10 PM
Post #12

Daddy Cool

Member No.: 4,800

I went for "Seven". I just prefer it. Simple as.

+Quote Post
Sir_Robin_the_br...
post Feb 14 2006, 12:24 PM
Post #13

Allow me to hold your face under the putrescent waters of knowle

Member No.: 3,662

A tough one this, I voted for Seven intially. Then I nearly changed my mind. Still sticking with Seven though for reasons I'll outline later when I'm away from work and have more time.

+Quote Post
DazDaMan
post Feb 14 2006, 12:35 PM
Post #14

It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.

Member No.: 3,744

QUOTE (Zoe @ Feb 14 2006, 01:08 PM)
There seems to be an abiding misconception that it's about ten times smarter than it really is and if I hear one more mention of the word dignity in relation to Morgan Freeman... I'll eat his liver with some faver beans and a nice Chianti.

It's fava, actually.

+Quote Post
stinketta
post Feb 14 2006, 12:38 PM
Post #15

Addict

Member No.: 4,017

SeVen for me.

+Quote Post