IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Arrested Development, Get Arrested. Now.
Sean of the Dead
post Apr 20 2008, 01:20 PM
Post #91

Conscience gets expensive, doesn't it?

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,924

I still haven't seen series 3, and I'm starting to get the impression that I should keep it that way...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maian
post Apr 20 2008, 01:48 PM
Post #92

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

QUOTE (Sean of the Dead @ Apr 20 2008, 02:20 PM)
I still haven't seen series 3, and I'm starting to get the impression that I should keep it that way...

There's plenty of good stuff in there, it's just that some fans have been dissatisfied with the way that the writers had to wrap everything up when Fox told them they were canceled. There are still plenty of moments worth watching it for.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Apr 20 2008, 02:00 PM
Post #93

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,309

That wasn't why I was dissatisfied. This fan just thought they went a bit mental.

+Quote Post
maian
post Apr 20 2008, 02:05 PM
Post #94

Bully for you

QUOTE (Zoe @ Apr 20 2008, 03:00 PM)
That wasn't why I was dissatisfied. This fan just thought they went a bit mental.

That too. There were a lot of moments that suggested that they had become frustrated at the shit way Fox were treating them and went a bit wayward. I didn't think the third series as a whole was that bad, but it felt quite very much like the death throes of a great show rather than a triumphant finish.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Apr 20 2008, 02:12 PM
Post #95

Group Icon

QUOTE (maian @ Apr 20 2008, 03:05 PM)
That too. There were a lot of moments that suggested that they had become frustrated at the shit way Fox were treating them and went a bit wayward. I didn't think the third series as a whole was that bad, but it felt quite very much like the death throes of a great show rather than a triumphant finish.

I'd totally agree with your last statement, but I'm not sure I'd put it down to deliberate rebellion due to cancellation frustration. At the start of the series there were some very clever references to Fox's treatment of the show, and the reasons cited for their lack of confidence in it. Later on however, they just seemed to have lost it all together, any subtlety went out of the window, and the tone of the show lost its charm. It was just a bit too mental - and occasionally revolting.

Two seasons is an awful lot of episodes, and they got an awful lot of fantastic mileage out of their premise. It felt more than stretched by the end.

+Quote Post
maian
post Apr 20 2008, 02:16 PM
Post #96

Bully for you

I don't think it was an intentional rebellion, but two years of being shoved around the schedule and having their episode numbers and all the other things that happened to them, most of which they took and made jokes of, must have taken its toll. I think the show still had plenty of mileage in it, but being forced to wrap everything up in only a handful of episodes would inevitably lead to a decline in quality.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Apr 20 2008, 02:38 PM
Post #97

Group Icon

Meh.

Agree to disagree I guess.

Fucking them about in terms of scheduling and number of episodes is a fair complaint, but sometimes it turns out shows were cancelled at the right time.

For me they weren't even attempting to wrap things up, just coming out with more and more ludicrous situations at the expense of what made the show great in the first place. The balance between the sublime and the ridiculous was perfect in the earlier series, in series three it tipped completely (for me).

My main beef is the ick factor being off the scale, something they'd always pitched perfectly in the past. George Michael and Maeby - Funny. Michael and Lindsay - Vommy.

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post Apr 20 2008, 09:27 PM
Post #98

William Shatner Shat on my Platter

Member No.: 6,090

I'm seriously considering picking these up off Play. What I can't understand is that they are 30 quid each for the box set, unless you get the region one import versions and then they're around half the cost?? What the hell is going on there??

+Quote Post
curtinparloe
post Apr 21 2008, 12:42 AM
Post #99

All out of mercy today.

Member No.: 4,706

Season one finished on BBC2 on Thursday with two consecutive days of 3 episodes back to back. I hope they continue with series two next week.

+Quote Post
Almond_Adam
post Apr 21 2008, 06:11 AM
Post #100

Two Pinter

Member No.: 6,472

I've just checked, but it's golf all next week in that timeslot.

It's going the way of Seinfeld!

+Quote Post
logger
post May 14 2008, 06:10 PM
Post #101

Guests

I've just gone through all three series over the last couple of weeks after never seeing it before and I loved it. Is there any news on the movie rumour?

+Quote Post
maian
post May 14 2008, 06:50 PM
Post #102

Bully for you

QUOTE (logger @ May 14 2008, 07:10 PM)
I've just gone through all three series over the last couple of weeks after never seeing it before and I loved it. Is there any news on the movie rumour?

Nothing more than that, at the moment. As soon as one member of the cast says it's happening another will say they've heard nothing about it.

+Quote Post
Omniscia
post May 16 2008, 01:03 PM
Post #103

Candygram!

Member No.: 2,452

Of course, now it'll probably have to wait until after Portia de Rossi becomes Mrs. Ellen DeGeneres.

+Quote Post
maian
post Jul 1 2008, 09:41 PM
Post #104

Bully for you

Jeffrey Tambor sort of, kind of, confirms that a film may happen in the future or not

A tad more definite than a lot of the recent speculation from cast members and it does seem to confirm what Mitchell Hurwitz has been saying about the movie i.e. that it will go ahead, just that they aren't sure when.

+Quote Post
Peronel
post Jul 2 2008, 12:04 PM
Post #105

Ummm...

Member No.: 6,287

Huzzah!

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 >