Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

22 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Metal, Power/Black/Death/Glam/Doom/Folk/Heavy
Minsc
post Mar 11 2006, 11:55 PM
Post #1

Guests

Who are your favorite artists/favorite albums from the Metal genre?

Mine will all be in "Power (Flower) Metal"

Albums:
Blind Guardian - A Night At The Opera

DragonForce - Sonic Firestorm

Elvenking - Heathenreel/Wyrd

Artists which I have, but havn't listened to enough to know which is my favoryte album

Avantasia
Demons & Wizards
Edguy
Luca Turilli
Rhapsody (Ohhh yeah, thats right, I love their "gayness")

& I like a few bands my friends have made, Rake Sodomy (Heavy/Death) Pillager (Heavy/Black) & Animent (Progressive / Psychedelic / Rock)

http://www.myspace.com/animent

http://www.myspace.com/rakesodomy

http://www.myspace.com/pillagerband
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jumpin Jack Flas...
post Mar 11 2006, 11:58 PM
Post #2

Addict

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,831

Wasnt a night at th opera done by queen? im pretty sure they arnt metal. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Baz
post Mar 12 2006, 12:02 AM
Post #3

Crumpet?

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,244

Dragonforce make me laugh.

Err probably Pantera, Machine Head, Metallica, Most Precious Blood etc and not forgetting the mighty Violation (local band) and Gutowrm, another local band.

there are loads of metal bands I like.

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Mar 12 2006, 12:08 AM
Post #4

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

Some favourites include
Pantera- Vulgar Display Of Power, Cowboys From Hell
Metallica- Metallica, Ride The Lightning
Fear Factory- Demanufacture
Sepultura- Roots, Chaos A.D.
PitchShifter-PSI, www.pitchshifter.com

And a load of other stuff too.

+Quote Post
DOD-MDK
post Mar 12 2006, 12:14 AM
Post #5

Greasy Grimey Gopher Guts

Member No.: 4,707

QUOTE (Jumpin Jack Flash @ Mar 11 2006, 06:58 PM)
Wasnt a night at th opera done by queen? im pretty sure they arnt metal.  biggrin.gif

It was also a Blind Guardian album
but my favorite bands jump all around the genre
Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, In Flames, Machine Head, Black Label Society, Carcass, Dimmu Borgir, Soilwork, Dream Theater, Morbid Angel, Arch Enemy, Iced Earth (If you are into Demons And Wizards, this is Jon Schaeffer's main band)Nevermore, Queensryche, Tool, Fear Factory, Slayer, Judas Priest and whatever else is catching my eardrums. I try to catch as many shows as possible and I am lucky that Raleigh has a good metal scene.

+Quote Post
SuperSaiyanStone...
post Mar 12 2006, 03:16 AM
Post #6

Avid Gamer

Member No.: 2,732

Mmmm, metal. Good topic! (and chance for a shamless plug of my internet radio show!) I am a huge fan of that which is called doom! And stoner rock too, but you could argue all day as to whether bands were stoner metal or stoner rock, But its all metal to me! Seriously though, doom is heavy stuff! And not heavy in the sense of thrashing drums and screaming vocals. Heavy in the sense of very downtuned guitars, stupendously down tempo music and you find in quite a few doom bands, a heavy psycadelic element! And you usualy find the solos in doom to be quite effective with the slow paced music. Alltogether it just crushes you! Its slow, sludgy, bassy and fucking wicked! So anyway, some of my fave bands and some ones to check out if what ive just said interested you in any way!

Electric wizard (the absolute kings!)
Cathedral (ex napalm death singer lee dorian in a much much different band! Legends in the genre though!)
Sleep (amazing band, they have a 1 track album lasting 54 mins which blows you away! Theres a solo about ever 10 mins! And they have also released an album which was hearelded as 'the album black sabbath never made!')
Grand magus (their older stuff was doomier, there newer stuff taking more of a lean to stoner metal, but still equaly as amazing!)
Black sabbath (duhhhhh)

And some more stoner rock/metal influenced bands:
Orange goblin (they still do some doomy stuff but most of it is more upbeat and groove laiden!)
The mighty nimbus (bassy bassy sound, killer riffs and solos, super groove!)

Oh, and did I mention that I do an internet radio show playing stoner rock, metal and doom, I diddnt? Well, you better check this out then:

The Hotbox

So you can get an insight without having to buy any cd's!!!

This post has been edited by SuperSaiyanStoner: Mar 12 2006, 03:18 AM

+Quote Post
Omniscia
post Mar 12 2006, 06:20 AM
Post #7

Candygram!

Member No.: 2,452

That depends on how you define "metal"... If we go back to more classic examples, than, for my money, you can't beat early Sabbath, or Deep Purple (not to mention Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow). But some people won't accept Purple as metal...

If we look more recently, my stereo/car/iPod can often be found filling my day with tunes by such artists as Nightwish, Dream Theater, and Symphony X. Occasionally, when I'm in a bombastic mood, Rhapsody will sneak in (especially Power of the Dragonflame), and there is nothing wrong with a little Queensryche.

However, if I were asked to name which metal band I find to be the most innovative, challenging, and truly progressive (in terms of musical variety and lyrical skill), I would have to nod in the direction of Pain of Salvation.

+Quote Post
curtinparloe
post Mar 12 2006, 10:28 AM
Post #8

All out of mercy today.

Member No.: 4,706

I'm into old-school metal, as that's what I grew up listening to:

Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Megadeth, Metallica.

My girlfriend is more into metal than me, and she likes a lot of the newer ones - American Head Sharge, Trivium, that kind of thing.
I'm really into System of a Down at the moment - "The Gilbert and Sullivan of metal" laugh.gif

Gilbert and Sullivan are quite good to, but operetta doesn't really count as metal...

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Mar 12 2006, 12:49 PM
Post #9

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

QUOTE (SuperSaiyanStoner @ Mar 12 2006, 03:16 AM)
Electric wizard (the absolute kings!)

My brother used to share a flat with Justin from Electric Wizard fact fans. Good bloke, albeit a tad on the strange side.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Mar 12 2006, 01:59 PM
Post #10

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

AC/DC - Back In Black.....there never has and never will be a better metal album.

There are always great metal singles (as there are Pop, Rap, Techno etc) but very few great albums, at least in recent years, I would call great.

Can't take all this death/black metal stuff seriously. Sounds like industrial...but not as good. Funnily enough when I looked at this thread for the first time last night Cradle Of Filth came on MTV2....one of the funniest things I have seen in a long time

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Mar 12 2006, 03:26 PM
Post #11

Better to reign in hell...

Member No.: 2,676

The vast majority of music I own is metal, be it heavy, death, black, doom, power, even some that mixes metal and opera (Tristania, Nightwish, etc).

Absolute favourites would have to be Opeth, Emperor (pretty much the definition of black metal), Tool, Iron Maiden, In Flames and Cradle of Filth.

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Mar 12 2006, 03:31 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Omniscia @ Mar 12 2006, 06:20 AM)
However, if I were asked to name which metal band I find to be the most innovative, challenging, and truly progressive (in terms of musical variety and lyrical skill), I would have to nod in the direction of Pain of Salvation.

I don't think I've ever heard anything by them, I shall investigate.

+Quote Post
luvmusic
post Mar 12 2006, 06:04 PM
Post #13

Guests

QUOTE (Sostie @ Mar 12 2006, 01:59 PM)
AC/DC - Back In Black.....there never has and never will be a better metal album.

There are those that would argue that AC/DC are not metal, but blues based rock. I have a friend who adores AC/DC, Sabbath, Led Zeppelin etc., and he hates being called a metaller.

Some of these Scandanavian death metal bands seem to have links with the far right, and I've read that Pantera do as well, or there singer at least.

+Quote Post
feck off!
post Mar 12 2006, 07:39 PM
Post #14

Vroom vroom!

Member No.: 3,586

QUOTE (luvmusic @ Mar 12 2006, 06:04 PM)
There are those that would argue that

Some of these Scandanavian death metal bands seem to have links with the far right, and I've read that Pantera do as well, or there singer at least.

In my experience a lot of bands right on the fringes of musical genres have extreme political ideological values. In the Oi punk scene you have bands like Skrewdriver with disgustingly racist, homophobic lyrics and beliefs. The worst part is that other bands in the same genre often then get tarred with the same brush. (E.g., The Exploited)

This post has been edited by feck off!: Mar 12 2006, 07:39 PM

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Mar 12 2006, 07:50 PM
Post #15

As musically brilliant as Emperor were, their original drummer is in prison for murder and their guitarist Samoth did time for arson (burned down a church). Varg Vikernes (Burzum) is currently in prison for murder (although he claims it was self defence) and spends a lot of time writing about the evils of christianity (he kind of has a point, christians did burn down pagan temples in Norway, so as a pagan why is it any worse if he burns down churches?).

This post has been edited by Nonus Aequilibrium: Mar 12 2006, 07:50 PM

+Quote Post

22 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 12:29 PM