Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Metal, Power/Black/Death/Glam/Doom/Folk/Heavy
Sostie
post Mar 12 2006, 08:23 PM
Post #16

"Mus" à gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

QUOTE (luvmusic @ Mar 12 2006, 06:04 PM)
There are those that would argue that AC/DC are not metal, but blues based rock.  I have a friend who adores AC/DC, Sabbath, Led Zeppelin etc., and he hates being called a metaller.

If it was defined it would be easier. It's too general a term - like Dance Music - to say what is or isn't Metal.

Rock, Blues Rock, Heavy Rock, Heavy Metal, Metal...whatever it is called its still a great album.

Can anyone explain the difference between

Power Metal
Black Metal
Death Metal
Glam Metal
Doom Metal
Folk Metal
Heavy Metal
Thrash Metal?

Not examples of bands, but how are they different.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SuperSaiyanStone...
post Mar 12 2006, 08:56 PM
Post #17

Avid Gamer

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,732

read my earlier post for a brief description on doom!

And nitefall; Im guessing that justin oborn? (they got a new drummer called justin greaves, but hes american so im making the educated guess you mean oborn!) But man, thats pretty damn cool! He looks like he might be a little odd! Any examples?!

+Quote Post
DOD-MDK
post Mar 12 2006, 09:10 PM
Post #18

Greasy Grimey Gopher Guts

Member No.: 4,707

Power Metal: These guys are pretty much the Maiden Clones. Melodic Vocals, Melodic Music. Bands like Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Symphony X and so on.

Black Metal: Screechy Vocals, Blast Beats, and Corpse Paint are in order for these guys. songs usually have a Satanic element to them. Emperor, Mayhem, Dimmu Borgir, Fans of this genre are pretty vocal about it and are probibly the most closed minded of metal heads (you are a sellout if you sell more that 10 copies of your latest disc)

Death Metal: A genre pretty much started with 2 bands, Celtic Frost and Death. Guttural Vocals (think Cookie Monster), Downtuned Guitars, Not a lot of melody. But then you have Gothenburg, Sweden. Very Melodic with the gutteral vocals.

Glam Metal: This is not metal, I dont care what anyone says. Hair Bands is what these are.

Doom Metal: Stoner Stuff, Slow Death Metal. lyical content devoted to the Pycadelics

Folk Metal: ? never heard of anthing like this. Bob Dylan decieded to play a Jackson Randy Rhoads V in a Mesa Boogie amp?

Heavy Metal: See all others

Thrash Metal: Motorhead decied that Metal and old school punk needed to be combined and Thrash was born. A genre made popular in 83 when Metallica released "Kill Em All". The San Franscico bay area, Phoenix Arizona, New York, and Germany were hotbeds of Thrash and it gave birth to some of the greatest bands ever. It is currently enjoying a resurgance due to the success of bands like Shadows Fall, Lamb Of God, and Killswitch Engage.

I hope this helps

+Quote Post
ronlogan1977
post Mar 13 2006, 01:26 AM
Post #19

Walking the Plank

Member No.: 2,357

QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Mar 12 2006, 07:50 PM)
As musically brilliant as Emperor were, their original drummer is in prison for murder and their guitarist Samoth did time for arson (burned down a church). Varg Vikernes (Burzum) is currently in prison for murder (although he claims it was self defence) and spends a lot of time writing about the evils of christianity (he kind of has a point, christians did burn down pagan temples in Norway, so as a pagan why is it any worse if he burns down churches?).

Yeah, but that Varg Vikernes is also a totally racist cunt. I read an interview with him in the NME once where he was banging on about how much he hated Jews.
Rob Darkens also on my shitlist.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Mar 13 2006, 01:48 AM
Post #20

"Mus" à gauche, "TANG"

QUOTE (DOD-MDK @ Mar 12 2006, 09:10 PM)
I hope this helps

Thanks a lot. I think I now understand how some categories work..but it also muddies the waters a little for me.....where do bands like Ministry, G'n'R, Faith No More, Napalm Death fit in..or they other areas.

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Mar 13 2006, 01:56 AM
Post #21

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

Faith No More fit in a catagory all their own marked "Faith No More- Go on, try to be like them. And fail. Fail because they're totally awesome and you'll never be as good or as crazy. Now go home. Metal".

+Quote Post
Minsc
post Mar 13 2006, 05:30 AM
Post #22

Guests

Folk Metal: Is metal, but has violins and flutes and stuff in it, e.g. = Elvenking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_heavy_metal_genres

"Folk metal embraces metal bands that are influenced by folklore from varying cultures and origins. Originally started as a mixture of folk rock, power metal and black metal, the term has progressed to encompass many folk-themed metal bands, that use folk based lyrical themes andmposition, including instrumentation."

Sample of "Elvenking - Jigsaw Puzzle" from their website, it's a folk/power metal song
Here

Full version of the song:
Here

Other songs by them:
http://www.elvenking.net/media.php

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Mar 13 2006, 06:24 PM
Post #23

Better to reign in hell...

Member No.: 2,676

QUOTE (Sostie @ Mar 13 2006, 01:48 AM)
Thanks a lot.  I think I now understand how some categories work..but it also muddies the waters a little for me.....where do bands like Ministry, G'n'R, Faith No More, Napalm Death fit in..or they other areas.

The waters generally are a bit muddy. There's not really a clearly defined line where one style ends and another begins. If as a band you're thinking too much about which genre you're in then perhaps you're confining creativity too much. Slayer come across as a bit death, black, and thrash. Opeth are a bit of death metal, progressive rock, with the occasional bits of folky acoustic guitars in there. Look at Opeth and Bloodbath. Mike Akerfeldt and Peter Lindgren are in both bands, and they're both death metal, but yet vastly different (Bloodbath is actually the result of members of Opeth, Katatonia and Edge of Sanity messing around in the studio when they had some time off, basically trying to rip off the likes of Morbid Angel).

It's hard to see where Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir fit in also. While more or less black metal, the purist black metal fans as DOD-MDK mentions are pretty snobbish and closed minded and don't usually acknowledge them. CoF aren't really all that extreme when you compare them to the likes of Dark Funeral and Emperor. Songs like Thorns On My Grave by Emperor are so ferociously brutal it takes a few listens to hear all the elements that make up the song without having to peel your face off the wall.

+Quote Post
Svein
post Mar 13 2006, 06:54 PM
Post #24

I'm sorry; I meant, "Drop dead, *comrade*."

Member No.: 3,252

Nout wrong with hair metal...

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Mar 13 2006, 07:15 PM
Post #25

"Mus" à gauche, "TANG"

QUOTE (Minsc @ Mar 13 2006, 05:30 AM)
Folk Metal: Is metal, but has violins and flutes and stuff in it, e.g. = Elvenking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_heavy_metal_genres

"Folk metal embraces metal bands that are influenced by folklore from varying cultures and origins. Originally started as a mixture of folk rock, power metal and black metal, the term has progressed to encompass many folk-themed metal bands, that use folk based lyrical themes andmposition, including instrumentation."
Sample of "Elvenking - Jigsaw Puzzle" from their website, it's a folk/power metal song
Here

Full version of the song:
Here
Other songs by them:
http://www.elvenking.net/media.php

That was, well....let's say it isn't an area I will be exploring further. Brought a smile to my face though. Sounded like a radio picking up two different stations at once!

+Quote Post
Minsc
post Mar 13 2006, 09:55 PM
Post #26

Guests

it sounds good together tho smile.gif

+Quote Post
DOD-MDK
post Mar 14 2006, 12:09 AM
Post #27

Ministry are Industrial. They pretty much invented it, Heavy Guitars mixed with samples and drum machines.

GnR are just a good solid hard rock band.

Napalm Death: Death Metal/Grindcore.

Faith No More: Nitefall pretty much nailed it on the head.

I dont know about you guys but I really hate these sub-genre catagorization of Metal. Cant it just be Metal?

+Quote Post
DOD-MDK
post Mar 14 2006, 12:25 AM
Post #28

QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Mar 12 2006, 02:50 PM)
As musically brilliant as Emperor were, their original drummer is in prison for murder and their guitarist Samoth did time for arson (burned down a church). Varg Vikernes (Burzum) is currently in prison for murder (although he claims it was self defence) and spends a lot of time writing about the evils of christianity (he kind of has a point, christians did burn down pagan temples in Norway, so as a pagan why is it any worse if he burns down churches?).
Its not emperor.
I thought the band in question was Mayhem?

+Quote Post
Jinx
post Mar 14 2006, 12:46 PM
Post #29

Four Pinter

Member No.: 2,974

QUOTE (DOD-MDK @ Mar 14 2006, 01:09 AM)
Ministry are Industrial. They pretty much invented it, Heavy Guitars mixed with samples and drum machines.

Depends what 'industrial' you're talking about.

I'd say Throbbing Gristle, Einstürzende Neubauten and Swans got there first, and Ministry's last Industrial album was probably The Land Of Rape And Honey - they then became a metal band that used tape loops, samples and effects.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Mar 14 2006, 01:06 PM
Post #30

"Mus" à gauche, "TANG"

QUOTE (Jinx @ Mar 14 2006, 12:46 PM)
Depends what 'industrial' you're talking about.

I'd say Throbbing Gristle, Einstürzende Neubauten and Swans got there first, and Ministry's last Industrial album was probably The Land Of Rape And Honey - they then became a metal band that used tape loops, samples and effects.

That's what always confused me about that description Neubauten, Throbbing Gristle etc are all very different to Ministry, but they seemed to be accepted as "Insdustrial". Add to that Nine Inch Nails, Skinny Puppy, Young Gods, Front Line Assembly and its another "muddied" genre.

+Quote Post

22 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 05:14 PM