Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Metal, Power/Black/Death/Glam/Doom/Folk/Heavy
maian
post Mar 14 2006, 01:18 PM
Post #31

Bully for you

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,498

Can anyone explain to me why Queens of the Stone AGe are classified as 'Metal' in most record shops? Fair enough they have a 'heavy' sound compared to a lot of mainstream acts but they have much more of a pop sensibility than a lot of acts that I would consider to be metal. Their first album is very much stoner stuff but their 2nd, 3rd and 4th albums are not what many people would describe as 'Metal'.

Same for Rage Against The Machine, except they weren't pop but they definitely seemed less like a metal group than many others.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jinx
post Mar 14 2006, 01:58 PM
Post #32

Four Pinter

Member No.: 2,974

QUOTE (maian @ Mar 14 2006, 02:18 PM)
Can anyone explain to me why Queens of the Stone AGe are classified as 'Metal' in most record shops? Fair enough they have a 'heavy' sound compared to a lot of mainstream acts but they have much more of a pop sensibility than a lot of acts that I would consider to be metal. Their first album is very much stoner stuff but their 2nd, 3rd and 4th albums are not what many people would describe as 'Metal'.

Same for Rage Against The Machine, except they weren't pop but they definitely seemed less like a metal group than many others.

Because most stores classify 'metal' as 'any music loud enough to frighten people who like R&B that hasn't been hailed as era-defining by Q, NME et al (ie Nirvana)'?

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Mar 14 2006, 06:36 PM
Post #33

Better to reign in hell...

Member No.: 2,676

QUOTE (DOD-MDK @ Mar 14 2006, 12:25 AM)
Its not emperor.
I thought the band in question was Mayhem?

According to Launchcast's Bio of Emperor:

New bassist Tchort signed on for Emperor's full-length debut, In the Nightside Eclipse, which earned critical praise and an international cult following upon its release in 1994. However, around the same time, Samoth was convicted of arson after burning down a historical wooden church; Tchort was sentenced for burglary, knife assault, and desecration; and Faust was locked up for arson, burglary, and murder, stabbing a homosexual acquaintance 14 times outside the Olympic Park in Lillehammer after the man made a pass at him.

Nasty chaps really. Still, nearly all the talent in Emperor was Ihsahn and Trym, in my opinion (Ihsahn pretty much made the entire of Prometheus by himself except for the drums), and as far as I'm aware, they had nothing to do with any naughty behaviour.

This post has been edited by Nonus Aequilibrium: Mar 14 2006, 06:40 PM

+Quote Post
SuperSaiyanStone...
post Mar 14 2006, 11:33 PM
Post #34

Avid Gamer

Member No.: 2,732

'Tis true, but then again you dont exactly see a special doom section for cathedral either!

+Quote Post
DOD-MDK
post Mar 15 2006, 12:59 AM
Post #35

Greasy Grimey Gopher Guts

Member No.: 4,707

QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Mar 14 2006, 01:36 PM)
According to Launchcast's Bio of Emperor:
Nasty chaps really. Still, nearly all the talent in Emperor was Ihsahn and Trym, in my opinion (Ihsahn pretty much made the entire of Prometheus by himself except for the drums), and as far as I'm aware, they had nothing to do with any naughty behaviour.

Well Then both those bands are a bit......screwy. God I love being a metal head!

+Quote Post
ronlogan1977
post Mar 16 2006, 07:40 AM
Post #36

Walking the Plank

Member No.: 2,357

Here`s a review that some lucky bastard wrote about an Opeth gig he went to on Wednesday.

With the lone, notable exception of NoMeansNo, Opeth is the greatest band that ever was or ever will be. Live, they take it up a notch. Parts that were interesting and relaxing on iPod are suddenly devastatingly heavy and all-consuming. They're like Led Zepplin in that regard -- live shit outclassing tremendously classy recorded shit -- except Opeth doesn't look like a bunch of swish, anorexic gypsies. Tonight, the fourteenth of March in the two-thousand and six, I was lucky enough to catch the Los Angeles appearance of the band's Chronology 1995-2005. Happening only in New York, Chicago and LA (take that you San Fran wannabes), Opeth aims to play cuts off of all eight of their records in chronological order. Seriously, they actually fucking thought this up and then pulled it off. How was it? Keep reading.

OK, so Opeth set out to do what for fans is honestly the coolest fucking thing a band could possibly do. I mean, three straight hours (no opening bands!) of music spanning their entire career. I think the show sold out before some of the younger kids in the audience were born. But... the whole setup was ridiculous. First of all, it was at the Wiltern. While beautiful and historic and all that, I'd rather sit in my car then get felt up by some security asshole, charged $7 for twelve ounces of beer and have to pay $10 to simply park. Second, we were fifty yards away from the stage and my ticket cost $28.50. I'm sorry, my ticket cost $38.30, as Ticket Master was kind enough to tack on a $9.80 "convenience fee." How these fuckers (T. Master) aren't rotting in federal prison for racketeering is beyond the realm of satisfactory answers. And I bought two tickets... Anyhow, we were hella far away from the stage, dude.

Furthermore, Opeth is ridiculous. Five thirty-year-old Swedish guys with hair down to their elbows singing songs about Demons, Hounds and Lepers. Mikael and Peter look like they are co-staring in the next Johnny Depp pirate movie. Cousin It is still on bass. Shockingly, Aeon, appears to be playing keyboards and the replacement drummer for the great Martin Lopez calls himself "Devastator." Yes, Mike made the blowjob face every time he soloed. Yes, his odd brand of black metal Borsht-belt humor was ever present between songs (take my drummer, please!) And yes, he did tell us that he would make devil signs whenever we the audience "pleased" him. And the crowd... My best friend and I were surrounded by 3,500 goofy-haired, acne-tragedies that have never taken their shirts off outdoors. To misquote an old Schultz song:

I do so much meth
Elmer's glue on my breath
Looking up Lita Ford's dress
Is my El Camino jacked up? Yes.
My fingerless gloves are mesh
AC/DC patch on my denim vest
I'm so hesh, fuck a John Tesh -- etc.

It was, in a word, grim. Then the band started playing...

I don't have a spiritual bone in my body. Come holiday time I only get horny. If something odd or serendipitous happens, I turn to science. A black cat crosses my path? I speed up. But fuck all that in the ear because tonight's set was straight up magic. I forget the names of the first three songs and I suppose I could look them up, but pay no mind. They were off Orchid, Morning Rise and My Arms, Your Hearse, respectively. I think I was just so excited to actually be in Opeth's presence that my mind slipped. Litereally, mind-blowing. Then they got to what I still consider the band's high-water mark, Still Life. True, they did not play "The Moor" nor "Melinda," but they did play "White Cluster" and holy shit, holy shit, holy fucking shit!!! So good... you people have no idea what you missed.

Then came "The Leper Affinity" from Blackwater Park. I almost impaled myself on my own erection. Hot fucking digity! Beautiful, simply beautiful.

You know what comes next, right? Blackwater Park was their fifth album, so therefore Deliverance, with the almighty title track, uh, "Deliverance" would be next. Wrong! Opeth pulled a fast one and played "A Fair Judgment," which, incidentally, sounded fifteen times better than on the record. Fucking incredible. They stop and Mike starts explaining to us how Burt Reynolds inspired him to not only write the album, but to grow the moustache. And something about how Burt taught him sodomy. I'm not making this up. We all know what's coming, so Mike says, "This is 'Free Falling' by Tom Petty" and then... Dant Dant Dant -- Dant Dant Dant, Guh-Dant Dant Dant -- Dant Dant Dant!

Opeth played "Deliverance."

People of earth, I've led a better life than you. You might have a loving spouse and adoring kids and own property and have a retirement account and a personal relationship with the imaginary sky-god of your choosing, but I've seen "Deliverance" played live -- so fuck you, I win. I don't even know what else can be said. Yes, it was that good. I wanted to hug the crowd, or at least hold hands with the burned out, overly-tattooed dude to my right. Touched my soul, man. For those of you that have seen Opeth live, "Deliverance" was so rocking that Peter moved.

There were a few tracks from Damnation next, and while still an Opeth album, it is the record you put on when you want to fuck a lame girl to Opeth and Mike's "normal" vocals bug her. Moving along...

For some idiotic, lazy reason I haven't taken the time to review Opeth's latest and greatest "offering," the mesmerizing Ghost Reveries. I mentioned my lust for it while I was fellating Mike, but it needs repeating that people who say Opeth has gone down hill should be murdered where they sleep. The three best songs off of Reveries are "Ghost of Perdition," "The Baying of the Hounds," and "The Grand Conjuration." And Opeth played all three in a row! I totally shit myself and I'm never washing these jeans. Even though Mike assured us that the band would never do anything as ambitious as Chronology again (three-straight hours of pure, ecstatic beauty and death), Opeth will continue touring and they will play the new stuff. Sell your blood platelets or your ovum for tickets. Serious -- beyond the scope of the word "rad." Opeth was glorious, magic, five hearts beating as one. Yes, I just said that.

Oh, and they closed the evening with "Demon of the Fall." To quote the great a greater mind than mine, "Ha ha!"

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Mar 16 2006, 12:26 PM
Post #37

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

I suspect that reviewer of being a tad biased. Not sure why though...

+Quote Post
DOD-MDK
post Mar 16 2006, 01:37 PM
Post #38

Greasy Grimey Gopher Guts

Member No.: 4,707

Its not an exaggeration, They are that good.

+Quote Post
Shrubbery
post Aug 3 2006, 05:10 PM
Post #39

Three Pinter

Member No.: 4,182

QUOTE (DOD-MDK @ Mar 16 2006, 02:37 PM)
Its not an exaggeration, They are that good.

They are good, but they can also be boring as heck at times.
Opeth are either dull as heck or good as heck..
Their last album Ghost reveries is actually very good. Damnation was boring and suffered from it's production with a rather terrible drum sound...and boring album all in all.

How many have heard the new Katatonia The Great Cold Distance?

I'm still getting into it after owning it for two days..it's better than their last album Viva Emptiness. Maybe even much better..cause I didn't like Viva much. They've become a rather odd band...It's much like Opeth in many ways too..at times dull as heck...and at times ..well wonderful. But they seem to like their new chaotic twist a bit too much. I've heard though that this album is a sure grower..so I'm waiting for it to grow...I'll sit here and watch it grow..yup.

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Aug 3 2006, 10:56 PM
Post #40

QUOTE (Shrubbery @ Aug 3 2006, 06:10 PM)
They are good, but they can also be boring as heck at times.

Man, you are so wrong. Opeth have never produced a song that is anything less than outstandingly brilliant.

I hope the new drummer's good. Martin Lopez was one of my favourite drummers of all time, and I was devastated to hear that he was leaving the band.

As for Katatonia, I've always thought they're a great band, but Jonas is such a weak singer. The quality of the vocals lags behind the rest of it that it really puts me off listening to them in a way pretty similar to Trivium. They're brilliant musically, but Matt Heafy is a bloody awful vocalist.

This post has been edited by Nonus Aequilibrium: Aug 3 2006, 10:59 PM

+Quote Post
Shrubbery
post Aug 5 2006, 01:34 AM
Post #41

Three Pinter

Nonus Aequilibrium,Aug 3 2006, 11:56 PM]
Man, you are so wrong. Opeth have never produced a song that is anything less than outstandingly brilliant.

I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I don't like Mikael Akerfeldt's growling very much..much because his growling is very typical cookie monster type...Aaron from My Dying Bride on the other hand has fantastic growling..and he has developed his growling rather a lot in the past years. Mikael is just too monotone in his growling. His singing however is much better...Aaron doesn't come close to him there..(even if I like Aarons voice better too)..but as Opeth uses much growling, this becomes an issue for me. Pluss some of their songs are just so boring beyond belief that I can't listen to them anymore..but yes...they are very good and have a lot of good songs..I just don't think they're the best band in the world. When it comes to progressive music, there are tons of other bands I would rather listen to.
A little note...MDB does also have a little load of boring as hell songs..but all in all they bore me much less.

I hope the new drummer's good. Martin Lopez was one of my favourite drummers of all time, and I was devastated to hear that he was leaving the band.

Martin Lopez was a huge loss indeed...he was brilliant live..or amazing as some would say.

As for Katatonia, I've always thought they're a great band, but Jonas is such a weak singer. The quality of the vocals lags behind the rest of it that it really puts me off listening to them in a way pretty similar to Trivium. They're brilliant musically, but Matt Heafy is a bloody awful vocalist.

You mean live? Cause on the albums I love Jonas's vocals. I still haven't bothered to listen to Trivium..I guess I'll have to check them out in the end.

Ever heard of the The Wounded? They have a more or less unique singer..it's still one of the greater findings I've done within this genre of music..

http://www.myspace.com/thewoundednl

This post has been edited by Shrubbery: Aug 5 2006, 01:35 AM

+Quote Post
fatseff1234
post Aug 5 2006, 05:41 PM
Post #42

Life's a grave, dig it.

Member No.: 2,711

QUOTE (Shrubbery @ Aug 5 2006, 01:34 AM)
I still haven't bothered to listen to Trivium..I guess I'll have to check them out in the end.

Just check out "Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr" becasue the rest is poo.

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Aug 5 2006, 10:40 PM
Post #43

QUOTE (Shrubbery @ Aug 5 2006, 02:34 AM)
I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I don't like Mikael Akerfeldt's growling very much..much because his growling is very typical cookie monster type...Aaron from My Dying Bride on the other hand has fantastic growling..and he has developed his growling rather a lot in the past years. Mikael is just too monotone in his growling. His singing however is much better...Aaron doesn't come close to him there..(even if I like Aarons voice better too)..but as Opeth uses much growling, this becomes an issue for me. Pluss some of their songs are just so boring beyond belief that I can't listen to them anymore..but yes...they are very good and have a lot of good songs..I just don't think they're the best band in the world. When it comes to progressive music, there are tons of other bands I would rather listen to.
A little note...MDB does also have a little load of boring as hell songs..but all in all they bore me much less.
Martin Lopez was a huge loss indeed...he was brilliant live..or amazing as some would say.
You mean live? Cause on the albums I love Jonas's vocals. I still haven't bothered to listen to Trivium..I guess I'll have to check them out in the end.

Ever heard of the The Wounded? They have a more or less unique singer..it's still one of the greater findings I've done within this genre of music..

http://www.myspace.com/thewoundednl

Aaron and Mike's vocal styles are quite different, and it's hard to say whether I find either better than the other. I think Mike's growling is excellent, and so is Aaron's in a different way (especially great is the heavy bit in Catherine Blake at the part beginning with "Die Erorians visit had been successful, rewarding...").

No I didn't mean live for Jonas' vocals, he just sounds really weak, although I can't say anything for the last two albums since the last one I bought was Last Fair Deal Gone Down. That was a great album which I thought was ruined by really weak sounding vocals from Jonas.

I'm listening to Ihsahn's solo album at the moment. Much closer to a follow on from Emperor than Peccatum. Now he's an outstanding vocalist, although I have no idea how he hasn't totally shredded his vocal chords by now.

+Quote Post
Shrubbery
post Aug 6 2006, 02:36 AM
Post #44

Three Pinter

Nonus Aequilibrium,Aug 5 2006, 11:40 PM]
Aaron and Mike's vocal styles are quite different, and it's hard to say whether I find either better than the other. I think Mike's growling is excellent, and so is Aaron's in a different way (especially great is the heavy bit in Catherine Blake at the part beginning with "Die Erorians visit had been successful, rewarding...").

Aaron has begun to use the darkthrone kind of growling in a very neat way..I love him for that. Mike's growling I just find less interesting..much because I compare it to Aarons growling and Aaron goes much deeper and has a very powerful growl..no matter how silly that sounds. Cathrine Blake is a brilliant song...but like in their previous album The Dreadful Hours in the opening song called the same..when the thunder comes at the same time as his growl..it's really his way of going THAT deep that makes it work. If you've ever heard the song Turn loose the swans from their "breakthrough" album with the same name ..that song has also a genuine wonderful evil tone that just makes it in my opinion, which doesn't really matter, much better music.

No I didn't mean live for Jonas' vocals, he just sounds really weak, although I can't say anything for the last two albums since the last one I bought was Last Fair Deal Gone Down. That was a great album which I thought was ruined by really weak sounding vocals from Jonas.

Last fair deal gone down was a great album I thought..maybe one of their highlights. His vocals aren't very aggressive at all..so I can undertand that you might find them lacking what you really need. But I just love his very subtle agony...or whatever. Their last two albums have been a huge change i think. Viva emptiness I didn't like at all..because it actually was too brutal..weird...but I just thought they could have made more beautiful album...and so they did in their last attempt..which seems to me to be their best album ever..it's become very clear to me the last few days..but it needed many hours of listening before it actually could work. LFDGD had many good songs I think..but yes, he should use his voice more and push it further..he does in their latest album..but probably could do it even more. But katatonia have really impressed me with their latest release...cause they've really created something unique.

I'm listening to Ihsahn's solo album at the moment. Much closer to a follow on from Emperor than Peccatum. Now he's an outstanding vocalist, although I have no idea how he hasn't totally shredded his vocal chords by now.

Well..Aaron haven't shredded his vocal chords by now..so I guess Ihsahn could do manage as well. I like emperor, but haven't heard Ishahn's solo album...I guess it could be interesting. Of course..I've become all of a sudden a huge fan of Immortal atm. They are really awesome...if any style of black metal is to be concidered "true" black metal...they are it! Brilliant music! The good thing is that they're actually going to make a new Immortal album now it seems. (!!)

btw..I'm also a huge Paradise Lost fan..and Cradle Of Filth fan...I've listened to both bands for over 10 years now..and they still fascinate me. COF have never made a bad album ever..cause it does contain no matter what I think of it..a LOT of neat details that never stops to make me love it. Paradise Lost have finally in their last album actually made one album with a lot of good songs..for the first time. One 1 or 2 songs I don't like THAT much...COF and PL are so far my fav metal bands..even if it's hard to love COF because of their theatrics..which is a load of bull. They still rock though..no matter what the "true" black metallists say.
COF isn't black metal...just so we don't begin to discuss that old subject. They just make a lot of great music...It's strangely the band I've listened to the most through out the last 10 years...lot's of fun harmonic details in their music..but of course..the vocals is the point..if you can't stand Dani's squeels....it gets boring rather fast. But no matter how small Dani might be..he's still one of the greatest within the extreme metal genre. If u ask me, he IS the greatest.

Anyhoo..I've listened to Trivium today..not because I wanted too..but because a friend once again made me listen to it. And their latest stuff was better then their older stuff. They're quite cool..but not my kind of metal. Not sure if the vocalist really needs to be able to sing as long as he can yell like he does.

I'll have to check out Ishahn's new solo album now...damnit.

Ps: what do you guys think of The Wounded?
I really think they can become one of thei biggest if they just continue to evolve the "right" way.

I would also recommend the band Green Carnation if you like Opeth.

This post has been edited by Shrubbery: Aug 6 2006, 02:45 AM

+Quote Post
Shrubbery
post Aug 6 2006, 02:47 AM
Post #45

Three Pinter

QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Aug 5 2006, 06:41 PM)
Just check out "Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr" becasue the rest is poo.

So it seems..if I'm going to listen more to this band..it's from his album on.

+Quote Post

22 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 09:39 AM