Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Metal, Power/Black/Death/Glam/Doom/Folk/Heavy
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Aug 6 2006, 01:16 PM
Post #46

Better to reign in hell...

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,676

I'm just having a listen to The Wounded now. It's quite similar sounding to Anathema. Good stuff.

Ihsahn's solo album is excellent. It's very complex in the way that Prometheus was, but not quite as relentlessly brutal and far more quieter prog bits. In the same way as Prometheus I enjoyed it far more on the second or third listen.

I think Cradle of Filth are brilliant. I'd say Cruelty and the Beast was about their best so far. I'm not quite sure why there seemed to be such a rivalry between fans with CoF and Dimmu Borgir, since their music is actually quite different I've found. They're both excellent bands, but with different styles. I used to hate CoF because of Dani's voice, but when I started to give them a proper listen I got used to it and he really is an incredible vocalist, the ranges of what he can do with his voice are amazing (although the whole range of what he can do is pretty much on the offensive side of the scale for most people's tastes).

This post has been edited by Nonus Aequilibrium: Aug 6 2006, 01:30 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fatseff1234
post Aug 6 2006, 04:11 PM
Post #47

Life's a grave, dig it.

Member No.: 2,711

QUOTE (Shrubbery @ Aug 6 2006, 02:47 AM)
So it seems..if I'm going to listen more to this band..it's from this album on.

Hehe that's just the one song.

+Quote Post
Shrubbery
post Aug 7 2006, 09:35 PM
Post #48

Three Pinter

Member No.: 4,182

I'm just having a listen to The Wounded now. It's quite similar sounding to Anathema. Good stuff.

Indeed smile.gif

Ihsahn's solo album is excellent. It's very complex in the way that Prometheus was, but not quite as relentlessly brutal and far more quieter prog bits. In the same way as Prometheus I enjoyed it far more on the second or third listen.

Ok, will have to check it out too.
Btw...listened to Immortal much?
Abbath is coming out with a new album soon...think that will be worth checking out. Immortal will "soon" be out with a new album I think too.

I think Cradle of Filth are brilliant. I'd say Cruelty and the Beast was about their best so far. I'm not quite sure why there seemed to be such a rivalry between fans with CoF and Dimmu Borgir, since their music is actually quite different I've found. They're both excellent bands, but with different styles. I used to hate CoF because of Dani's voice, but when I started to give them a proper listen I got used to it and he really is an incredible vocalist, the ranges of what he can do with his voice are amazing (although the whole range of what he can do is pretty much on the offensive side of the scale for most people's tastes).

I think I have to agree about CATB being their best..of course..I actually hope they remake that album. I'm not a big fan of remakes..but the drum sound on it is pathetic. Still..the album kicks ass for sure. But their newer stuff is also great. Their last two albums are great too. Think their upcoming album will be great too..even if I don't like the idea of the HIM singer guest vocaling on that album. They should get Diamanda Galas to guest vocal in the future..they've actually tried to get her..but so far no luck.

Dimmu are good too..but the COF albums last longer...at least they do to me.
Have most Dimmu albums...and will buy every new albums they release.

Anyhoo, what do you think of Paradise Lost?

Btw..to all the other metallers here..feel free to join in and share views. smile.gif

+Quote Post
fatseff1234
post Aug 7 2006, 11:38 PM
Post #49

Life's a grave, dig it.

Dimmu Borgir are good but I haven't really listened to any Cradle so I can't really comment.

Does anyone know why The Insane Clown Posse are classed as metal?

+Quote Post
Shrubbery
post Aug 8 2006, 12:55 AM
Post #50

Three Pinter

QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Aug 8 2006, 12:38 AM)
Dimmu Borgir are good but I haven't really listened to any Cradle so I can't really comment.

Does anyone know why The Insane Clown Posse are classed as metal?

Really..? What the flying hell is the insane clown posse?!

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Aug 8 2006, 04:23 PM
Post #51

I got into Paradise Lost a few years ago but went off them a bit. I'd still listen to them but wouldn't really go out of my way for them.

It's funny what you say about the drumming being really weak sounding on CATB, given that it's Nicholas drumming on that album. Compare that to the drumming on Dimmu Borgir's "Blessings Upon the Throne of Tyranny", which is also him drumming, and it sounds absolutely brutal.

I'm not sure if I've ever heard anything by Immortal. I know who they are but never got around to checking them out.

I've just got Satyricon's new album recently. It's a bit repetitive, but still pretty darn good.

+Quote Post
fatseff1234
post Aug 8 2006, 09:43 PM
Post #52

Life's a grave, dig it.

QUOTE (Shrubbery @ Aug 8 2006, 12:55 AM)
Really..? What the flying hell is the insane clown posse?!

A rap group but a good rap group. I fucking hate rap but they're closely becoming one of my best artists of all time. They're unique, you need to hear them you can't really describe them. Just type them into youtube and something'll come up.

+Quote Post
whixie
post Aug 8 2006, 10:00 PM
Post #53

Discombobulated

Member No.: 2,820

QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Aug 3 2006, 11:56 PM)
Man, you are so wrong. Opeth have never produced a song that is anything less than outstandingly brilliant.

Agreed. That is all.

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Aug 9 2006, 03:27 PM
Post #54

QUOTE (whixie @ Aug 8 2006, 11:00 PM)
Agreed.  That is all.

See, even Hannah says so, and she's never wrong*.

*Maybe.

+Quote Post
fatseff1234
post Aug 9 2006, 09:16 PM
Post #55

Life's a grave, dig it.

I'm quite liking In Flames at the moment...

Well one song, Cloud Connected. Will deffinately be getting an album, any suggestions?

+Quote Post
Shrubbery
post Aug 10 2006, 01:39 AM
Post #56

Three Pinter

I got into Paradise Lost a few years ago but went off them a bit. I'd still listen to them but wouldn't really go out of my way for them.

It's a band that I always come back to..and with their last album they really showed for once that they actually can make an album that is consistantly good throughout the whole cd..which has been a problem with their previous albums. They have one album where I can't listen to much more than 2 songs which was Believe In Nothing..ugh.. weak. Symbol of Life was a step in the right direction..but still not very good..except a few strong songs here and there. When I think about it..only One Second, Draconian times, Icon, Host and their latest Paradise Lost are albums I think are truly worth the money...their latest took a couple of listens before worked with me. I put it away first..but gave it one more try and greatness was found..or maybe I just brainwashed myself..who knows..heh.

It's funny what you say about the drumming being really weak sounding on CATB, given that it's Nicholas drumming on that album. Compare that to the drumming on Dimmu Borgir's "Blessings Upon the Throne of Tyranny", which is also him drumming, and it sounds absolutely brutal.

I'm not saying anything about Barkers drumming...it's the sound on the album..the chipmunk playing drums sound..it's the production of the album which is weak.
But that said..it's rather boring to watch Barker drum..cause he just sits there like a buddha with his triggered drums. Sure..I don't mind triggered drums on albums..but live..it's much more fun to see a drummer who moves and just hammer the drums.
So Nick is a bit of a boring drummer to watch..but he's good as heck yes.

I'm not sure if I've ever heard anything by Immortal. I know who they are but never got around to checking them out.

I've come to believe that they have the perfect black metal sound for some reason.
For starters..if you're going to check them out some day. Check out first these songs: One by One, Tyrants, Sons Of Northern Darkness, Beyond The North Waves and At The Heart Of Winter...most songs from their last album Sons Of Northern Darkness except the last one which is also titled the same as the album.

I've just got Satyricon's new album recently. It's a bit repetitive, but still pretty darn good.

I've been meaning to buy it..but I'm just not sure. It's good, just not what I'm after these days...maybe if I listen to it a bit more. (?)

+Quote Post
Shrubbery
post Aug 10 2006, 02:08 AM
Post #57

Three Pinter

Fatseff: Insane Clown posse isn't too bad I guess..but I have serious problem with hip hop..a bit more than you, it seems.
Beastie Boys is the only thing that works for me currently...and some friends say I'm a closet Ice-T lover..but well...but I still haven't bought anything remotley connected to hip hop.

See, even Hannah says so, and she's never wrong*.

The "maybe" at last helped me breathe..thanks tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Drifter
post Aug 10 2006, 10:11 AM
Post #58

Member No.: 5,387

Just heard the new Evanescence track, title has something about being sober in it...I cant remember but sounds like a good song....

I found myself buying a Lacuna Coil album the other day after seeing them live at Download, the rendition of Enjoy The Silence was quite good

Personally my favourites are - Metallica (long time fan preferring old style Tallica) Linkin Park, Muse, Korn, SOAD, Foos, Tenacious D well Tribute is brilliant, RATM and the Chilli's

+Quote Post
zeden
post Aug 10 2006, 11:21 AM
Post #59

When doves cry

Member No.: 4,533

QUOTE (Drifter @ Aug 10 2006, 11:11 AM)
I found myself buying a Lacuna Coil album the other day after seeing them live at Download, the rendition of Enjoy The Silence was quite good

They're really starting to grow on me more and more as I listen to more stuff. In the past I've found female fronted metal to be a painful listen, but the gothic/melodic music and the beautiful vocals really fit in this case.

New Tenacious D album around October to coincide with the film!

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Aug 10 2006, 12:30 PM
Post #60

QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Aug 9 2006, 10:16 PM)
I'm quite liking In Flames at the moment...

Well one song, Cloud Connected. Will deffinately be getting an album, any suggestions?

All of them. They're absolutely brilliant. Colony is one of my favourites. Cloud Connected is on Reroute to Remain.

From oldest to newest I think it's:
Subterranean
The Jester Race/Black Ash Inheritance
Whoracle
Colony
Clayman
Reroute to Remain
Soundtrack To Your Escape
Come Clarity

+Quote Post

22 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »