Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The TV DVD thread, Because I watch them more than films
zeden
post May 19 2006, 01:25 PM
Post #16

When doves cry

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,533

QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ May 19 2006, 01:54 PM)
We recently started watching Arrested Development. A tradesman turned up whilst we were watching it, so currently I'm only 20 minutes into the first episode. I'm not hugely impressed so far, but I'll reserve judgement, what with it only being 20 mins and all.

Its definitely not the kind of show you could make a judgement on that early. You need to get to know the characters a bit. By the third or fourth episode it starts getting really good. Gob's letter throwing antics in the second (or maybe third) episode are classic.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rabbit57i
post May 19 2006, 03:17 PM
Post #17

Varga Girl

Member No.: 2,531

Currently working my way through The Comic Strip Presents. We're doing a disk a month, so it will be September before we are done.

We are also watching different vintage episodes of Dr. Who. Oddly, we inadvertently seem to be getting the first episodes of each Dr.

I am also currently going through Asylum, Nighty Night Series 1, Royle Family, series 3, Wild West. I think that's it.

+Quote Post
Kevin Hall
post May 19 2006, 03:30 PM
Post #18

Guests

I was immensely pleased when the second series of This Life was finally released on DVD. Now I've just got to find time to watch it all.

+Quote Post
maian
post May 19 2006, 03:34 PM
Post #19

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

We recently started watching Arrested Development. A tradesman turned up whilst we were watching it, so currently I'm only 20 minutes into the first episode. I'm not hugely impressed so far, but I'll reserve judgement, what with it only being 20 mins and all.

It is a show that takes a few episodes to get going and rewards repeated viewings as jokes tend to run from episode to episode.

Most recently I have watched the first 6 seasons of Seinfeld and found them to be most enjoyable, as well as a recent rewatch of all of Buffy.

I may also watch all of The West Wing again when it finishes over here. One of the best TV shows ever made.

+Quote Post
ella
post May 19 2006, 03:36 PM
Post #20

Mrs P

Member No.: 2,360

QUOTE (Kevin Hall @ May 19 2006, 03:30 PM)
I was immensely pleased when the second series of This Life was finally released on DVD. Now I've just got to find time to watch it all.

Is this good? I am considering buying series one as people whose television tastes I respect keep recommending it to me.

I need a new series to watch. I am re-re-watching Angel Series 1 at them moment, but I want fresh.

+Quote Post
Kevin Hall
post May 19 2006, 03:44 PM
Post #21

Guests

It's well written, well cast and well acted and is, in turns, tearjerking and hilarious. It also contains nudity. And series one is only £13.99 on Play at the moment. I'd recommend it.

Edit : It was also referenced in CultChannel4SitcomSpaced, of course.

This post has been edited by Kevin Hall: May 19 2006, 03:51 PM

+Quote Post
luvmusic
post May 19 2006, 03:56 PM
Post #22

Guests

Green Wing S1
West Wing S1

Have State of Play and Holding On which also need watching, and S4 of Family Guy.

Lots, in fact.

+Quote Post
ella
post May 19 2006, 04:19 PM
Post #23

Mrs P

Member No.: 2,360

QUOTE (Kevin Hall @ May 19 2006, 03:44 PM)
It's well written, well cast and well acted and is, in turns, tearjerking and hilarious. It also contains nudity. And series one is only £13.99 on Play at the moment. I'd recommend it.

Edit : It was also referenced in CultChannel4SitcomSpaced, of course.

Sold. I shall have a look in the HMV on the way home. I can't be waiting for deliveries from online I want my comedy drama now goddamit.

+Quote Post
thirtyhelens
post May 19 2006, 04:26 PM
Post #24

Toasty

Member No.: 2,939

Tonight I start working my way through Strangers With Candy again, in prep for an upcoming DVD pick. Always a pleasure.

+Quote Post
fatseff1234
post May 19 2006, 04:29 PM
Post #25

Life's a grave, dig it.

Member No.: 2,711

Last purchase was Series 4 of Family Guy.

I too prefer watching them in bulk, it's just better overall.

I blame Futurama.

+Quote Post
Igmeister
post May 19 2006, 04:55 PM
Post #26

Don't ever get a cat.

Member No.: 3,736

I watch loads of TV series this way, I'm on episode 7 of Band of Brothers at the moment, and have series one and two of This Life next on the list. I ordered Life on Mars on tuesday so I should think that'll arrive tomorrow.

This post has been edited by Igmeister: May 19 2006, 04:56 PM

+Quote Post
Henry Krinkle
post May 20 2006, 04:39 PM
Post #27

Fuelled by Dr Oetker Mozzarella Pizza™

Member No.: 3,821

QUOTE (zeden @ May 19 2006, 02:25 PM)
Its definitely not the kind of show you could make a judgement on that early. You need to get to know the characters a bit. By the third or fourth episode it starts getting really good. Gob's letter throwing antics in the second (or maybe third) episode are classic.

QUOTE (maian @ May 19 2006, 04:34 PM)
It is a show that takes a few episodes to get going and rewards repeated viewings as jokes tend to run from episode to episode.

Well, I'm through the first disc and it's pretty good. It was pretty much only the first episode that I didn't like (but that's the same of most shows. The first episode is all about set up, and normally suffers as a result. Spaced is an obvious exception).
Looking forward to watching the others.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post May 20 2006, 04:50 PM
Post #28

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

I don't think spaced is an exception.

I never show it to people if I'm trying to get them intereste din the first series. Mostly because of the fake hammy crying in the cafe. It's the one moment where most people I've showed it to have looked over and gon like "hmm" =/.

+Quote Post
sleeping_pirate
post May 20 2006, 06:10 PM
Post #29

If I was young, I'd flee this town

Member No.: 3,052

Red Dwarf IV- I'd forgotten how much I loved this when I was little. It's brilliant smile.gif

+Quote Post
maian
post May 20 2006, 07:38 PM
Post #30

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ May 20 2006, 05:39 PM)
Well, I'm through the first disc and it's pretty good. It was pretty much only the first episode that I didn't like (but that's the same of most shows. The first episode is all about set up, and normally suffers as a result. Spaced is an obvious exception).
Looking forward to watching the others.

The pilot does suffer from a hell of a lot of exposition, though the documentary format of it all does require that to some extent, but it did somewhat worry me when I first got it. Did you watch both versions of the pilot, by the way? Which did you prefer? I think there are some lines in the extended version that worked brilliantly (''Or cocaine...'' for example) but the version shown on TV does benefit from a slicker pace due to the editing.

+Quote Post

65 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 04:18 AM