Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The TV DVD thread, Because I watch them more than films
maian
post Nov 5 2010, 02:45 PM
Post #886

Bully for you

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,498

Last week I finished watching all nine seasons of Seinfeld. I'd only seen up until Season 6 before and, even though Seasons 8 and 9 are much bigger and wackier than the Larry David Years - Kramer, in particular, is little more than just a collection of tics and noises towards the end - the writing remained generally very sharp and there was hardly an episode that failed to get a least one big laugh out of me. Probably the best sitcom ever.

In stark contrast, I'm now watching Homicide: Life on the Street from the beginning. I'm already onto Season 3, which sounds impressive until you realise that first season is 9 episodes long and the second only 4. Still, they're a pretty great 13 episodes.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Outatime
post Nov 8 2010, 07:49 PM
Post #887

Addict

Member No.: 3,386

QUOTE (maian @ Nov 5 2010, 02:45 PM) *
In stark contrast, I'm now watching Homicide: Life on the Street from the beginning. I'm already onto Season 3, which sounds impressive until you realise that first season is 9 episodes long and the second only 4. Still, they're a pretty great 13 episodes.

Having read the book I considered watching this, but then I found out how many series there were and I couldn't quite justify buying another full tv series on DVD.

+Quote Post
maian
post Nov 8 2010, 11:50 PM
Post #888

Bully for you

There are a few too many episodes to just jump right on in to but I would highly recommend buying the first two seasons (over here they are sold together as "Season One," which is a tad confusing) since it's only thirteen episodes in total and they contain some of the best episodes from the entire run of the show. They did some great stuff after that but a lot of the most interesting and genuinely shocking and innovative stories can be found in those first two seasons.

This post has been edited by maian: Nov 8 2010, 11:50 PM

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Nov 15 2010, 02:04 PM
Post #889

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

Any Twin Peaks fans (in London) that haven't yet got the DVD, Fopp have the "Gold Edition" (series 1 & 2 and 2 versions of pilot) for 18.

+Quote Post
Rua
post Nov 15 2010, 02:26 PM
Post #890

Death of The Party

Member No.: 4,801

QUOTE (maian @ Nov 5 2010, 02:45 PM) *
Last week I finished watching all nine seasons of Seinfeld. I'd only seen up until Season 6 before and, even though Seasons 8 and 9 are much bigger and wackier than the Larry David Years - Kramer, in particular, is little more than just a collection of tics and noises towards the end - the writing remained generally very sharp and there was hardly an episode that failed to get a least one big laugh out of me. Probably the best sitcom ever.

Honestly, it's a staggering body of work that rarely misses the mark.

I go between praising it and wanting to throw up.

+Quote Post
maian
post Nov 15 2010, 07:38 PM
Post #891

Bully for you

Probably the only time it faltered would have been at the very beginning when they didn't quite know what the show was. It's really weird watching that first batch of episodes and knowing where the show would go from that point, but also really cool seeing how many of the basic elements of the show were in place from the beginning and needed to be fleshed out.

+Quote Post
Outatime
post Nov 15 2010, 10:31 PM
Post #892

Addict

Member No.: 3,386

QUOTE (Sostie @ Nov 15 2010, 02:04 PM) *
Any Twin Peaks fans (in London) that haven't yet got the DVD, Fopp have the "Gold Edition" (series 1 & 2 and 2 versions of pilot) for 18.

Dammit I spent 36 on that in July and haven't watched it yet.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Dec 1 2010, 01:43 AM
Post #893

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

Just finished re-watching Season 2 of Northern Exposure and have ordered season 3.

Damn you Sostie!

*shakes fist*

wink.gif

+Quote Post
maian
post Dec 14 2010, 11:52 PM
Post #894

Bully for you

I've just started Season 4 of Friday Night Lights and I was initially dubious about it because of the number of major changes that occurred at the end of the previous season. (Major characters left, in an often graceful and heartbreaking way, and the final episode of Season 3 saw some huge changes occur for the world of Dillon football.) Then I realised that one of the new faces was Michael B. Jordan, a.k.a. Wallace from Season 1 of The Wire. The mere fact that the show would cast someone like that shows me that everything is going to be okay.

+Quote Post
maian
post Dec 18 2010, 07:59 PM
Post #895

Bully for you

QUOTE (maian @ Dec 14 2010, 11:52 PM) *
I've just started Season 4 of Friday Night Lights and I was initially dubious about it because of the number of major changes that occurred at the end of the previous season. (Major characters left, in an often graceful and heartbreaking way, and the final episode of Season 3 saw some huge changes occur for the world of Dillon football.) Then I realised that one of the new faces was Michael B. Jordan, a.k.a. Wallace from Season 1 of The Wire. The mere fact that the show would cast someone like that shows me that everything is going to be okay.

I've just watched the fifth episode, "The Son," and it is one of the very best hours of television I've ever seen. It rivals the Buffy episode "The Body" as one of the best depictions of the messiness of grief and loss on television.

+Quote Post
sweetbutinsane
post Dec 30 2010, 07:30 PM
Post #896

Be careful what you fish for

Member No.: 3,331

I've been watching my Futurama boxset that I got for Christmas. Made the mistake of watching Jurassic Bark before bed last night and ended up not being able to go to sleep because I was too sniffly. sad.gif

+Quote Post
Raven
post Dec 30 2010, 08:39 PM
Post #897

Space Cowboy

Given all the good press it has received on here, I'm very close to buying seasons one and two of 30 Rock from Amazon for 9.99.

+Quote Post
ella
post Dec 30 2010, 08:54 PM
Post #898

Mrs P

Member No.: 2,360

QUOTE (Raven @ Dec 30 2010, 08:39 PM) *
Given all the good press it has received on here, I'm very close to buying seasons one and two of 30 Rock from Amazon for 9.99.

Do it. Do it now. Seriously.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Dec 30 2010, 08:57 PM
Post #899

Space Cowboy

Seriously?

+Quote Post
maian
post Dec 30 2010, 09:08 PM
Post #900

Bully for you

Yeah, do it, but with a frown and listening to some sombre cello.

+Quote Post

65 Pages V  « < 58 59 60 61 62 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 07:28 AM