Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The TV DVD thread, Because I watch them more than films
zeden
post May 19 2006, 12:38 PM
Post #1

When doves cry

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,533

I'm pretty sure that we dont have a thread running for this, so here goes.

I buy a lot of tv series on dvd. I tend to find that they're better value than films and I prefer to watch series in bulk sessions rather than trying to remember to watch it when its on tv.

So, what series are you watching now, which series would you recomend (or avoid) etc, etc.

I watched Look Around You series 2 the other night. Really love the little jokes which carry over from the first series (Thanks ants- thants etc). The music episode definitely tops the lot for me. The Music 2000 bits are pure class, especially the Rapping Song.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zoe
post May 19 2006, 12:43 PM
Post #2

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,309

Just finished 'Arrested Development' Season 2, which was a little disappointing, but had its moments.

'A Bit of Fry and Laurie' series one, I think they improved over time.

Previously, all five seasons of 'The Sopranos', which was perfection in TV form.

At the moment, season one of 'Six Feet Under', even better than I remembered it.

+Quote Post
tigerlily
post May 19 2006, 12:45 PM
Post #3

Boop boop e doo!

Member No.: 2,571

Murder One - which was originally shown in the mid to late 90s on BBC2. It's gripping stuff. Over the 24 episodes it follows a law firm involved in defending a high profile actor accused of murder. There's a 2nd season as well, which is weaker than the first but still quite good.

+Quote Post
ipse dixit
Post #4

Fallon

Member No.: 2,946

This has just reminded me that my friend lent me the first season of Desperate Housewives and I've still not got round to watching it - oops. I've still not watched season 3 of Curb Your Enthusiasm either, and I've had that lying around for a while.

+Quote Post
Sir_Robin_the_br...
Post #5

Allow me to hold your face under the putrescent waters of knowle

Member No.: 3,662

QUOTE (Zoe @ May 19 2006, 01:43 PM)
At the moment, season one of 'Six Feet Under', even better than I remembered it.

Terrific stuff. What's your favourite episode?

+Quote Post
Sostie
post May 19 2006, 12:47 PM
Post #6

"Mus" à gauche, "TANG"

Member No.: 2,740

Bought seasons 3 onwards of Sopranos...which means I have to buy 1 & 2 before I finally settle down and watch them.

Got Seasons 2 onwards of Curb Your Enthusiasm at Christams...only got season 1 last week. Have to find time to watch them all now (I like to watch them in order).

Also have to find time to watch the first 3 seasons of Soap as well.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post May 19 2006, 12:52 PM
Post #7

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,309

QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ May 19 2006, 01:45 PM)
Terrific stuff. What's your favourite episode?

Ask me again when I finish it. My Mum has bought them all and is passing them on to me series by series.

A couple of days ago she was watching season two when she came out with, "you're a lot like Claire aren't you?" I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not, I thought I'd grown out of that stage.

'Desperate Housewives' is piffle, it's such a light and hollow confection that like a soufflé full of air it deflates after a few episodes.

Bought series 5 and 6 of Seinfeld which I adore, will complete the collection when I have the money.

+Quote Post
Henry Krinkle
post May 19 2006, 12:54 PM
Post #8

Fuelled by Dr Oetker Mozzarella Pizza™

Member No.: 3,821

Me and Lady Krinkle recently started Six Feet Under right from the beginning. We're currently up to season 4, episode 4 (I think. It's the one where David gets carjacked, and is possibly the most harrowing half hour of television I have ever seen).
When we've finished the entire run we'll go back and do the commentaries.
I dearly love Six Feet Under.

We recently started watching Arrested Development. A tradesman turned up whilst we were watching it, so currently I'm only 20 minutes into the first episode. I'm not hugely impressed so far, but I'll reserve judgement, what with it only being 20 mins and all.

I love to cram in a random (Jessop take note, I am using this as God intended) TV comedy episode whenever I can. At the moment I'm all about Peep Show series 2 and 3, and Mighty Boosh series 1. Just for a bit of fun I may watch Blackadder's Christmas Carol later. Yeah, I bet you never saw that coming!

They're not really 'TV Shows', but I do like to put on some vintage Disney shorts (short subjects, not short trousers) once in a while. I bought those ones in the metal tins a while back, and they're always good for a bit of an animation history lesson.

+Quote Post
widowspider
post May 19 2006, 12:57 PM
Post #9

OMNOMNOM

Member No.: 3,076

QUOTE (tigerlily @ May 19 2006, 01:45 PM)
Murder One - which was originally shown in the mid to late 90s on BBC2.  It's gripping stuff.  Over the 24 episodes it follows a law firm involved in defending a high profile actor accused of murder.  There's a 2nd season as well, which is weaker than the first but still quite good.

Oh wow! I used to love watching that show. It was aces, although the second series was definitely not as good as the first.

+Quote Post
PrincessKate
post May 19 2006, 01:02 PM
Post #10

Smut by the Sea

Member No.: 2,387

I'm very much a TV person over a film person (Something which irks my housemates somewhat).
Currently I'm working my way through all 3 series of The League of Gentlemen avec commentaries - fun fun as always. Recently I was (rather too obviously) into Band of Brothers which I watched religiously for a month or so, and I'm just getting back into That 70's Show (Only ever saw the first 2 series, and from bits of later ones I've caught uit's definitely going downhill) but I'm tempted to get the second series just because it does have some of my favourite episodes in it (Particularly the Pastor Dave one).

+Quote Post
tigerlily
post May 19 2006, 01:04 PM
Post #11

Boop boop e doo!

QUOTE (widowspider @ May 19 2006, 01:57 PM)
Oh wow! I used to love watching that show. It was aces, although the second series was definitely not as good as the first.

I never saw it when it was on at the time, but I remember people raving about it. It hooked me right in though, I watched the whole lot over a weekend.

I've also started buying up the X-Files as Virgin/HMV seem to be flogging them quite cheaply. I'd like to find out at exactly what point I lost interest.

I also quite like early season Law & Order, although just after I bought the box sets they started showing them on Hallmark. Bah.

Next up may be something like NYPD Blue, although I should really complete one collection before moving on to the next.

+Quote Post
Starscream`s Gho...
post May 19 2006, 01:04 PM
Post #12

Alley Viper

Member No.: 3,024

Started on Black Books series one last night, and I`m hoping to trudge my way through the rest as time goes on. After that, I'm planning a biggie. Every epsiode of Dogtanian.

+Quote Post
tigerlily
post May 19 2006, 01:07 PM
Post #13

Boop boop e doo!

QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ May 19 2006, 02:04 PM)
After that, I'm planning a biggie. Every epsiode of Dogtanian.

Ah, I tried that. However, the one thing that becomes more obvious with age is the fact that Dogtanion is an annoying little shit.

Same goes for that mouse/rat thing in Willy Fogg.

+Quote Post
Raven
post May 19 2006, 01:18 PM
Post #14

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

I tend to watch more TV series on DVD than I do films.

I've just finished watching Stargate SG-1 season 4 and have started watching, you guessed it, Stargate SG-1 season 5 and I'm also part way though the first disk of Scrubs season 3.

I have several other series lines up to watch/re-watch at the moment including The West Wing season 6, The X-Files seasons 1 and 9 (I never saw the second half of the latter) and Angel season 1.

I'm also tempted to get a copy of Life on Mars . . .

+Quote Post
Jubei
post May 19 2006, 01:24 PM
Post #15

Meow

Member No.: 2,416

I do too, because I always forget when they're on TV. At the moment me and my lovely lady are watching Band of Brothers, and she is also working her way through Sex and the City, she's just starting Series 3 now, although I'm avoiding that lot. I also had Blakes 7 to watch, but I haven't got round to it, and now the person who lent it to me wants it back. Bother.

+Quote Post

65 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 01:10 PM