IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> anybody else had problems with the..., when dvds go wrong!
dandan
post Jun 16 2006, 11:23 AM
Post #1

Addict

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,256

right, i bought 'nathan barley' a couple of weeks back. i watched the first episode with no problem, my lady friend watched the second episode a couple of days later and everything seemed hunky dory.

unfortunately, we tried to watch episode three on wednesday and it just wasn't having it; lots of nasty skipping - boo!

needless to say, i exchanged it yesterday, only to find the same problem.

anybody else's copy been giving them jip? fancy packaging, shame about the lack of protection for the disc...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zeden
post Jun 16 2006, 11:29 AM
Post #2

When doves cry

Member No.: 4,533

All the time. The X-box 360, on which I tend to use to watch my dvdsbecause I can turn it off with the pad, has a nasty habit of skipping all the time on seemingly random dvds. It must be down to the way the disk is formatted or something and the speed at which the 360 tries to run the disks, who knows.
The other big pain I have is that disks get scratches from simply being used. Put a pristine disk in and watch it, take it out and there are always a few little flecks or marks on the disk. My Family Guy seasons in particular have been pretty much wrecked from mystery scratches from repeated viewings.

+Quote Post
Henry Krinkle
post Jun 16 2006, 11:32 AM
Post #3

Fuelled by Dr Oetker Mozzarella Pizza™

Member No.: 3,821

I had exactly the same problem (same episode too). I exchanged and had the same thing again. I gave the disc a rub on my t-shirt and it worked fine. I don't think that cleaning it had any real effect though - I think it was more to do with taking it out of the tray and putting it back in again (this seems to clear it when it sometimes happens)

I still get it skipping in my downstairs player, and it often crashes on the menu. I've never had a problem with it upstairs (not that this helps you, seeing as you don't live in my house).

I notice this with a few DVDs (especially ones with 'complicated' menus, the Seinfeld DVDs for example). They tend to skip, judder, and freeze when you select an option from the menu. It only seems to happen on my (newer, more expensive) downstairs player though.

I think it's just a glitchy DVD generally, but seeing as it's Barley it's worth the palava.

+Quote Post
m0r1arty
post Jun 16 2006, 11:53 AM
Post #4

Feel the Rainbow

From: Sitting between Civil Liberties and the Data Protection Act
Member No.: 3,341

I had problems with the title of this thread tongue.gif

On an aside, My DVD player won't let me see the Yoda dance.

Pile of Alba shite!

-m0r

+Quote Post
dandan
post Jun 16 2006, 12:22 PM
Post #5

Addict

Member No.: 4,256

QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ Jun 16 2006, 12:32 PM)
I think it's just a glitchy DVD generally, but seeing as it's Barley it's worth the palava.

yep, i think i'll just rip it and make my own menus later. boo...

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Jun 16 2006, 12:39 PM
Post #6

Better to reign in hell...

Member No.: 2,676

QUOTE (zeden @ Jun 16 2006, 11:29 AM)
All the time. The X-box 360, on which I tend to use to watch my dvdsbecause I can turn it off with the pad, has a nasty habit of skipping all the time on seemingly random dvds. It must be down to the way the disk is formatted or something and the speed at which the 360 tries to run the disks, who knows.
The other big pain I have is that disks get scratches from simply being used. Put a pristine disk in and watch it, take it out and there are always a few little flecks or marks on the disk. My Family Guy seasons in particular have been pretty much wrecked from mystery scratches from repeated viewings.

I've never had any problems with DVD playback on my 360. Do you have yours upright or lying down? Mine's always upright, never had any skipping, or scratched discs.

+Quote Post
zeden
post Jun 16 2006, 03:52 PM
Post #7

When doves cry

QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Jun 16 2006, 01:39 PM)
I've never had any problems with DVD playback on my 360. Do you have yours upright or lying down? Mine's always upright, never had any skipping, or scratched discs.

Right now it's on its side but it was upright before. It's only the playback problem that applies to the 360, the mysterious disk scratches apply to every CD/DVD drive I have every owned. Maybe my brother is the source of this problem though...

+Quote Post
rabbit57i
post Jun 16 2006, 04:15 PM
Post #8

Varga Girl

Member No.: 2,531

QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ Jun 16 2006, 06:32 AM)
They tend to skip, judder, and freeze when you select an option from the menu. It only seems to happen on my (newer, more expensive) downstairs player though.

Key clue here. Expensive players seem to be more sensitive to any oddities or scratches on disks. You'd think it would be the opposite. Whenever my "good" DVD player gives me trouble with a rented, scratchy DVD, I always switch it to my dirt cheap player and usually have no problem.

It seems that the Nathan Barley DVD obviously has some sort of abnormality to it.

+Quote Post
Ghost_862
post Jun 16 2006, 04:46 PM
Post #9

Daddy Cool

Member No.: 2,633

X-Boxes do it all the time.

Some of my Frasier DVDs and Curb Your Enthusiasm DVDs just refuse to work in it. It freezes or skips or can't load the special features menu.

It also freezes at a certain point on my Batman Begins DVD whenever I watch it but in the exact same place it doesn't freeze on my other DVD players :S Wierd.

+Quote Post
Stantz
post Jun 19 2006, 03:52 PM
Post #10

Three Pinter

Member No.: 3,400

I remember buying one of the spiderman cartoon dvds when i watched it on my PS2 the screen went funny like different coloured ones appeared.

When there is something saved on the card theres like this blocks when you start the PS2, i sure most of you have seen them, well they werent there anymore, but luckly the card wasnt wiped.

I find while watching most DVDs on my xbox, or dvd player there will be a point in the movie, or one of the programs when the screen pauses for a couple of seconds and then the film carries on.

+Quote Post
zeden
post Jun 19 2006, 03:55 PM
Post #11

When doves cry

QUOTE (Stantz @ Jun 19 2006, 04:52 PM)
I find while watching most DVDs on my xbox, or dvd player there will be a point in the movie, or one of the programs when the screen pauses for a couple of seconds and then the film carries on.

Thats probably duel layer transition, where the player has to pause and start reading from the other layer on the disk.

+Quote Post
Stantz
post Jun 19 2006, 03:58 PM
Post #12

Three Pinter

Member No.: 3,400

Really?

that makes sence, if you look at the back of my tremors DVD you can badly see the layers, its some badly glued together. When i play that in the PS2 it goes crazy, makes all sorts of sounds. but its fine when not used in the PS2.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 07:18 AM