IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mash It Up Harry Webb, What? Ian Dury vs Cliff Richard...?
Ade
post Jul 18 2006, 07:34 AM
Post #1

Ade Flanders

Group: Senior Moderators
From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

In a manner of speaking, yes.

DJ Mash-ups - Love 'em or loathe 'em, the products of this music genre atom-splicing DJ sub-trend have long since been catching on in the mainstream, and you have to admit some of them are works of genius, especially when the aforementioned 'splicing' stretches to an imaginative, often amusing title.

I meant to start this thread sooner, but I was compelled to do so this morning when I heard Radio 1's Scott Mills playing the latest (presumably official) release: Mousse T ('Horny') vs. The Dandy Warhols, entitled 'Horny As A Dandy'. Okay, not an exceptionally amusing title granted, but the musical combination works exceptionally well.

Some combinations I've stumbled across on a quick 'search' this morning include:

Black Eyed Peas vs Kylie Minogue - 'Just Can't Get You To Shut Up'
Michael Jackson vs. Nirvana - 'Smells Like Billie Jean'
Liberty X vs. Orbital - 'Just A Little Bit Lush'
Eminem vs Shakira - ('Wherever, Whenever' & 'The Real Slim Shady')

...and perhaps the most intriguingly:

Enya vs The Prodigy - ('Orinoco Flow' & 'Smack My Bitch Up') ...allegedly.
I would be very interested to hear that one!

So anyway, you get the idea. Now tell me folks, what are the best 'mash-ups' you've heard? Give me your recommendations now, because my curiosity's destination was 'Piqued', and I've already missed my stop....

This post has been edited by Ade: Jul 18 2006, 07:35 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maian
post Jul 18 2006, 07:52 AM
Post #2

Bully for you

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,498

The best one I've heard recently has been Muse's ''Supermassive Black Hole'' vs. Britney Spears' ''Do Something'' to make Do Something Supermassive and it works superbly as they are surprisingly similar.

If anyone can find a link to it I'd be grateful since I only heard it once before the link I used was replaced by a link to the lyrics of Radiohead's ''How To Disappear Completely'' huh.gif

+Quote Post
Ade
post Jul 18 2006, 07:57 AM
Post #3

Ade Flanders

From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...

Good man.

I mean, good maian. [/Southern drawl]

Come one, let's rack 'em up, folks!

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Jul 18 2006, 08:59 AM
Post #4

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Member No.: 2,740

Missy Elliott vs The Cure (Get Your Freak On/Close To Me) is a classic

Kylie vs New Order is a beauty

The Strokes vs Christine Aguilera (sp?) is very good (who would have thought two steaming turds combined would make one good track)

The best one ever though is in my head...I just need to find someone with the right equipment so I can make it.

+Quote Post
Starscream`s Gho...
post Jul 18 2006, 09:05 AM
Post #5

Alley Viper

Member No.: 3,024

One of the best ones I've heard was the Green Day/Oasis/Travis/Eminem mash-uo of Boulevard of Broken Dreams. The first time I heard that one was on the radio, so it must have been pretty popular.

+Quote Post
tigerlily
post Jul 18 2006, 09:33 AM
Post #6

Boop boop e doo!

Member No.: 2,571

QUOTE (maian @ Jul 18 2006, 08:52 AM)
The best one I've heard recently has been Muse's ''Supermassive Black Hole'' vs. Britney Spears' ''Do Something'' to make Do Something Supermassive and it works superbly as they are surprisingly similar.

If anyone can find a link to it I'd be grateful since I only heard it once before the link I used was replaced by a link to the lyrics of Radiohead's ''How To Disappear Completely'' huh.gif

I heard that too, it worked really well. I think it was made up by either JK or Joel on Radio 1 last week. Either that or they've nicked it off someone else to pass off as their own creation.

I like the ACDC/Missy Elliot (Back in Black/Get Ur Freak on) mash up that's playing in the club in Welcome to the Jungle whilst The Rock beats up on people. Only been able to find it on a Hang the Djs CD so far.

+Quote Post
ipse dixit
post Jul 18 2006, 10:02 AM
Post #7

Fallon

Member No.: 2,946

Axel F and Beastie Boys' Intergalactic. Awesome. You might be able to find it here - I can't see what tunes he's got up at the moment, but it's one of his finest.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Jul 18 2006, 10:10 AM
Post #8

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Member No.: 2,740

You may find this an interesting purchase

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/508901/-/P...string=pop+chop

+Quote Post
Ade
post Jul 18 2006, 10:35 AM
Post #9

Ade Flanders

Nice one, cheers.

QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Jul 18 2006, 11:02 AM)
Axel F and Beastie Boys' Intergalactic. Awesome. You might be able to find it here - I can't see what tunes he's got up at the moment, but it's one of his finest.

Eeeyyy, one of my old faves from 1984, and 'Intergalactic' ain't half bad either - that sounds ace Ipse, thanks for the link! I'll have a listen when I gets home later...

These all sound jolly interesting so far, folks...keep 'em coming! smile.gif

+Quote Post
maian
post Jul 18 2006, 12:18 PM
Post #10

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

QUOTE (tigerlily @ Jul 18 2006, 10:33 AM)
I heard that too, it worked really well.  I think it was made up by either JK or Joel on Radio 1 last week.  Either that or they've nicked it off someone else to pass off as their own creation.

I think they may have ripped it off since I heard it a month or so ago.

+Quote Post
tigerlily
post Jul 18 2006, 12:24 PM
Post #11

Boop boop e doo!

Member No.: 2,571

I had suspicions that that was the case. Although I don't know if they were technically claiming it as their own as I only tuned in for a tiny portion of the show.

I'd like to hear it again though. It made my booty shake.

+Quote Post
luvmusic
post Jul 18 2006, 12:29 PM
Post #12

Guests

I remember the DJ at a Mondays gig back in the day combining 'Dub be Good To Me' with a remix of 'Hallelujah' which worked really well.

I love the Breeders/Skee-lo mash-up on one of the 2 Many DJ's albums.

+Quote Post
Rua
post Jul 18 2006, 01:27 PM
Post #13

Death of The Party

Member No.: 4,801

QUOTE (Sostie @ Jul 18 2006, 08:59 AM)
The best one ever though is in my head...I just need to find someone with the right equipment so I can make it.

Is it the theme from Sesame Street with 24 Hour Party People?

Edit: I just remembered that Nelly track with Grange Hill was fairly amusing. Though it danced dangerously around Jive Bunny territory.

This post has been edited by Rua: Jul 18 2006, 01:31 PM

+Quote Post
Ade
post Jul 19 2006, 10:48 AM
Post #14

Ade Flanders

I've had a bit of a scout around to see what ones are floating about out there, and there are loads, but I've noticed there are certain songs which seem to favoured for mashing: Eminem's My Name Is and The Real Slim Shady as well as Michael Jackson's Billie Jean are particularly frequent repeaters. 'MTV Mashups' seems to be a commonplace label, too.

I shall see what others I can find, and post my recommendations here in due course...

This post has been edited by Ade: Jul 19 2006, 10:49 AM

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Jul 19 2006, 10:58 AM
Post #15

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

For some reason the Black Album by Jay-Z is also quite popular, appearing as both the Grey Album, mixed with The White Album by the Beatles and the Double Black Album mixed with Metallicas Black Album. I have the latter somewhere, it's not bad actually.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 04:24 AM