Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Books 2nd Edition, Foreword by m0r1arty
Rebus
post Jul 10 2008, 12:19 AM
Post #1141

ЯR

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 5,395

I had already read All the Pretty Horses a couple of years ago but I've just started Cormac McCarthy's Border Trilogy. I highly recommend ATPH but still haven't got onto the next two yet.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jul 10 2008, 07:02 PM
Post #1142

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

Bit off-topic, but I was sad to see that a local (to me) second hand book shop is closing down. I don't go in there that often, but it's always been busy when I have, and they have a good selection of new and old paperbacks.

On the plus side, everything is 25% off at the moment . . .

+Quote Post
sweetbutinsane
post Jul 11 2008, 07:49 PM
Post #1143

Be careful what you fish for

Member No.: 3,331

I read Neverwhere again when I was away in the caravan. It's even better the second time around.

+Quote Post
maian
post Jul 13 2008, 07:58 AM
Post #1144

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

Read Day of The Triffids by John Wyndham last week and I thought it was bloody excellent. However, I do feel that I read it in too close a proximity to Jose Saramago's Blindness, which not only has a similar plot but also deals with a number of similar themes and goes much further than Triffids in examining them. I was comparing the two as I was reading and that was an unnecessary distraction. Still, a classic of English science fiction (it really feels like it, too, especially since the first choice of refuge for pretty much everyone ended up being the pub) and I can see where Alex Garland and Danny Boyle got some of their inspiration for 28 Days Later.

I'm now half-way through Imperial Life In The Emerald City: Inside Baghdad's Green Zone by Rajiv Chandrasekaran and it's been fascinating so far. The sheer number of blunders made by the American-led coalition in the immediate post-war period in Iraq is, quite simply, mind-boggling. Rajiv's even, non-judgemental tone helps underline how obvious some mistakes were, how they could have been avoided, and how neo-conservative ideology helped to scupper what chances the coalition government had of getting Iraq back on its feet. Essential reading.

+Quote Post
Julie
post Jul 13 2008, 08:56 PM
Post #1145

Hot Lips.

Member No.: 3,352

I stormed through The Average America Male while driving home from New York the other day. It could very easily have been written by Zoe as a continuation from a story she posted here a while ago. So much so as to actually be a little spooky. With the exception of the narrator's insistence on constantly referring to women as 'bitches'. It was an interesting, if a little disheartening read.

+Quote Post
jem
post Jul 13 2008, 10:09 PM
Post #1146

Addict

Member No.: 4,332

I've just finished a set of short story collections.
The Birthday of the World and Other Stories by Ursula K. Le Guin
I was a little worried when I set out reading it as the last short story collection of hers that I read was The Orsinian Tales, which I did not like, but I really liked this. My favorites were Old Music and the Slave Women and Paradises Lost.
I Dream of Microwaves by Imad Rahman
This book was awesome. It was hilarious and really interesting to read an entire collection starring the same character. I really loved it.
My Date with Satan by Stacy Richter
I had read this previously a few years ago and I really liked it and had been looking forward to rereading it but I found that it almost did not stand up. I still enjoyed it, but I felt that there was almost not enough explaination of the characters, like the author would only take you so far into thier world and then leave you stranded.

This post has been edited by jem: Jul 13 2008, 10:10 PM

+Quote Post
logger
post Jul 13 2008, 10:30 PM
Post #1147

Guests

QUOTE (maian @ Jul 13 2008, 08:58 AM)
Read Day of The Triffids

Very surprised you hadn't already read this. Look how surprised I am > mellow.gif

+Quote Post
maian
post Jul 13 2008, 10:32 PM
Post #1148

Bully for you

QUOTE (logger @ Jul 13 2008, 11:30 PM)
Very surprised you hadn't already read this.  Look how surprised I am > mellow.gif

I know, my face looked like that for the entire time I was reading it. I'm very disappointed in me.

I've actually owned the book for about two or three years, it's just one of the many that I haven't got around to yet.

+Quote Post
melzilla
post Jul 13 2008, 11:24 PM
Post #1149

I got feet but I'm not a foetus.

Member No.: 6,052

My friend just bought one of these and I had a bit of a play about with it yesterday. They are a bit pricey at the min, but it's impressively nifty, and for someone who reads as much as he does its a really cool gadget.

This post has been edited by melzilla: Jul 13 2008, 11:25 PM

+Quote Post
logger
post Jul 13 2008, 11:30 PM
Post #1150

Guests

I don't know about The Iliad but you can download lots of books from teh interweb. The only problem is reading them from a screen which leads to insanity or printing them out which costs more than buying a paperback. My advice, get a library card.

+Quote Post
melzilla
post Jul 14 2008, 12:14 AM
Post #1151

I got feet but I'm not a foetus.

Member No.: 6,052

QUOTE (logger @ Jul 14 2008, 12:30 AM)
I don't know about The Iliad but you can download lots of books from teh interweb. The only problem is reading them from a screen which leads to insanity or printing them out which costs more than buying a paperback. My advice, get a library card.

My mate's Iliad came with 50 classic old books already on it...mostly excellent ones too, and he's already downloaded plenty of others. I wouldn't bother downloading books, either, unless you've got one of these things to read them on.

This post has been edited by melzilla: Jul 14 2008, 12:14 AM

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Jul 14 2008, 03:58 PM
Post #1152

Money ...

Member No.: 2,511

I'm re-reading The Hobbit after a good decade and a half. It's a nice wee book and my images of the story haven't changed that much, if at all. The scenary still reminds me of going on childhood walks with my family in Snowdonia. Without Goblins, of course.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jul 14 2008, 04:08 PM
Post #1153

Space Cowboy

QUOTE (maian @ Jul 13 2008, 08:58 AM)
Read Day of The Triffids by John Wyndham last week and I thought it was bloody excellent.

Aye, tis a very good book. If you enjoyed that, I would also recommend The Kraken Wakes (which is another "End of the World" story) and The Midwich Cuckoos.

QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Jul 14 2008, 04:58 PM)
I'm re-reading The Hobbit after a good decade and a half.  It's a nice wee book and my images of the story haven't changed that much, if at all.  The scenary still reminds me of going on childhood walks with my family in Snowdonia.  Without Goblins, of course.

I tried reading The Hobbit off the back of Lord of the Rings and I just couldn't get on with it. With the increased level of Hobbit and Elf singing it was all a bit twee, and it felt like I was reading Tolkien Lite (I know it's only a kid's book, but I was still surprised by the contrast between the two).

+Quote Post
maian
post Jul 14 2008, 08:54 PM
Post #1154

Bully for you

QUOTE (Raven @ Jul 14 2008, 05:08 PM)
Aye, tis a very good book.  If you enjoyed that, I would also recommend The Kraken Wakes (which is another "End of the World" story) and The Midwich Cuckoos.

I fully intend to. I really like the film 'Village of The Damned', so I'd be interested in seeing how the book compares.

QUOTE (Raven @ Jul 14 2008, 05:08 PM)
I tried reading The Hobbit off the back of Lord of the Rings and I just couldn't get on with it.  With the increased level of Hobbit and Elf singing it was all a bit twee, and it felt like I was reading Tolkien Lite (I know it's only a kid's book, but I was still surprised by the contrast between the two).

I think that's probably the wrong way to read them, to be honest. I read The Hobbit years before I read Lord of the Rings, and seeing the progression from one to the other was quite astounding to me. I imagine that doing it the other way around would be underwhelming.

That makes me wonder, will the same problem afflict the film version? I know that Jackson, Walsh, Boyens and del Toro will probably rein in the elf singing stuff since it doesn't quite fit into the world of the film trilogy, but they've also said it'll be reasonably faithful in tone.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jul 14 2008, 10:18 PM
Post #1155

Space Cowboy

QUOTE (maian @ Jul 14 2008, 09:54 PM)
I fully intend to. I really like the film 'Village of The Damned', so I'd be interested in seeing how the book compares.

The film - provided you are talking about the original black and white version and not the US remake - is a fair adaptation, but the book is much better (by the way, should you feel so inclined as to watch the movie version of Triffids, skip it and watch the BBC version instead, it's a gazillion times better).

I know that Jackson, Walsh, Boyens and del Toro will probably rein in the elf singing stuff since it doesn't quite fit into the world of the film trilogy, but they've also said it'll be reasonably faithful in tone.

As long as that tone isn't "twee" I don't mind what they do.

(actually, I could probably object to quite a bit they could do, but such is life!).

+Quote Post

158 Pages V  « < 75 76 77 78 79 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 08:03 AM