> Books 2nd Edition, Foreword by m0r1arty
NiteFall
post Oct 7 2008, 07:26 PM
Post #1306

Invader.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,823

QUOTE (Jubei @ Oct 7 2008, 02:51 PM) *
My copy of The Temporal Void was posted yesterday. Hopefully should arrive tomorrow. Yay!

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Oct 7 2008, 04:25 PM) *
I bought that today at Forbidden Planet. You could probably kill someone with it.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through, having picked it up on Friday, and am really enjoying it so far. I'll say no more until everyone has had a chance to catch up.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jubei
post Oct 8 2008, 07:43 AM
Post #1307

Meow

Member No.: 2,416

Dam you all, you'll all of read it before the sodding Royal Mail can manage to drag it from wherever Play have their Glorious Warehouse of Treats™ to my office.

+Quote Post
Chapman Baxter
post Oct 8 2008, 08:23 AM
Post #1308

The sick product of a crazy society

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,263

I started reading it yesterday, and quickly realised I'll have to re-read The Dreaming Void to remind myself who and what all these people, factions, places and things are.

+Quote Post
Jubei
post Oct 8 2008, 08:44 AM
Post #1309

Meow

QUOTE (Chapman Baxter @ Oct 8 2008, 09:23 AM) *
I started reading it yesterday, and quickly realised I'll have to re-read The Dreaming Void to remind myself who and what all these people, factions, places and things are.

Aw, does Hamilton not do a 'What happened previously' in his books? I'm expecting mine to arrive today. I'd actually considered skimming the last 20 pages or so last night of Dreaming Void, but decided I'd rely on a summary in the new book instead.

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Oct 8 2008, 09:05 AM
Post #1310

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

QUOTE (Chapman Baxter @ Oct 8 2008, 09:23 AM) *

I read the first 80-or-so pages last night, and had TDV next to me as a reference. It's not too bad to catch up with, but the first one was so complex, a gentle squeeze on the memory glands doesn't do any harm.

+Quote Post
Jubei
post Oct 8 2008, 09:39 AM
Post #1311

Meow

As someone who's already made the jump and read a good chunk, if you feel like writing a 'this is what you need to remember; type synopsis, I wouldn't try and stop you. My copy still hasn't arrived sad.gif

+Quote Post
Chapman Baxter
post Oct 8 2008, 09:42 AM
Post #1312

The sick product of a crazy society

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,263

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Oct 8 2008, 10:05 AM) *
I read the first 80-or-so pages last night, and had TDV next to me as a reference. It's not too bad to catch up with, but the first one was so complex, a gentle squeeze on the memory glands doesn't do any harm.

Well, it's not as if rereading TDV is a terrible chore; I'm enjoying it so far!

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Oct 8 2008, 10:06 AM
Post #1313

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

Thanks to Rachel & Pete's literary tour of New York, I am currently reading Craig Nelson's biography of Thomas Paine.

+Quote Post
Jubei
post Oct 8 2008, 10:43 AM
Post #1314

Meow

It's here and I've read 20 pages ish. Can anyone remind me who or what Illanthe is/are? Also, what was the relation at the end of the book between Oscar/Paula. Did Paula give Oscar her ship and team him up with a bunch of Knight Guardians to track down the Second Dreamer? Also, am I right in thinking Troblum betrayed the Accelerators and stole the ship/drive he was building? And are the Accelerators the ANA faction that want to use the void as some sort of medium to transcend to a higher plane or something? Also, what are the Advancers in relation to the Highers? Seriously, you need a Tolkienesque Appendices to keep up with all this.

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Oct 8 2008, 11:05 AM
Post #1315

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

QUOTE (Jubei @ Oct 8 2008, 10:39 AM) *
'this is what you need to remember' type synopsis.

Umm, here are the few things I can recall which I reminded myself of last night:

ANA has split into several factions, some of whom want to influence human development in different ways. Gore Burnelli leads the good guys with his daughter Justine and Paula Myo; Edeard is a young man living within the Void a long time ago and is slowly harnessing telekinetic powers; Inigo (the first dreamer of Edeard's life and inspiration to millions of Living Dream followers) has disappeared and a Second Dreamer, Araminta, has appeared; Oscar (aka Gene Yahoui) has been recruited (along with a bunch of the Guardians of Selfhood from Far Away) by Paula to track down the Second Dreamer before Living Dream do; and the mysterious Aaron, with no memories of his own, is attempting to find Inigo through some strange compulsion, causing total devastation in his wake.

At the end, the Void begins to expand into a devourment phase; Living Dream have launched a potentially fatal pilgrimage there; Aaron is under attack on Inigo's original homeworld; Araminta is just as she is about to marry and go 'multiple', and fat, sweaty Troblum (Can anyone remember what Troblum's role was?) has escaped from the Accelerator faction.

+Quote Post
Jubei
post Oct 8 2008, 11:27 AM
Post #1316

Meow

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Oct 8 2008, 12:05 PM) *
Umm, here are the few things I can recall which I reminded myself of last night:

ANA has split into several factions, some of whom want to influence human development in different ways. Gore Burnelli leads the good guys with his daughter Justine and Paula Myo; Edeard is a young man living within the Void a long time ago and is slowly harnessing telekinetic powers; Inigo (the first dreamer of Edeard's life and inspiration to millions of Living Dream followers) has disappeared and a Second Dreamer, Araminta, has appeared; Oscar (aka Gene Yahoui) has been recruited (along with a bunch of the Guardians of Selfhood from Far Away) by Paula to track down the Second Dreamer before Living Dream do; and the mysterious Aaron, with no memories of his own, is attempting to find Inigo through some strange compulsion, causing total devastation in his wake.

At the end, the Void begins to expand into a devourment phase; Living Dream have launched a potentially fatal pilgrimage there; Aaron is under attack on Inigo's original homeworld; Araminta is just as she is about to marry and go 'multiple', and fat, sweaty Troblum (Can anyone remember what Troblum's role was?) has escaped from the Accelerator faction.

Troblum was building something, a ship drive I think, for either the Accelerators or the Living Dream. Accelerators I think. Is Myo working directly for Gore, or they just on similar sides? I can't remember that. And am I right in thinking it was Cat who attacked Aaron? Presumably she then buggered off somewhere else then ... cool fight right off the bat! I think Chapman Baxter is reading The Dreaming Void now - if that comment is anything to go by, so I figure I'll spoiler anything that may not have happened yet in that, or that has happened in TTV. He might also be able to clear up any questions like who is Troblum.

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Oct 8 2008, 04:04 PM
Post #1317

OMNOMNOM

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 3,076

QUOTE (Sostie @ Oct 8 2008, 10:06 AM) *
Thanks to Rachel & Pete's literary tour of New York, I am currently reading Craig Nelson's biography of Thomas Paine.

Cool! Hope it's interesting.

+Quote Post
rebelstar
post Oct 13 2008, 10:49 AM
Post #1318

'ullo!

Member No.: 6,134

Despite already owning it, I had to buy another copy of The Gum Thief yesterday - limited edition signed hardback, boxed with a copy of Glove Pond. I'm such a Coupland fanboy...

+Quote Post
Jubei
post Oct 13 2008, 11:02 AM
Post #1319

Meow

2/3rds of the way through Temporal Void now. It's seriously void heavy. I just finished a 123 pages of Inigos Eleventh Dream. I like it and all, but I prefer the Commonwealth stuff generally. The ratio in the first book was more what I like. Although, as a stand alone story, Edeards saga so far hasn't been bad anyway. He's really getting some power now huh?

+Quote Post
ella
post Oct 17 2008, 11:53 PM
Post #1320

Mrs P

Member No.: 2,360

Spending a lot of time of long public transport journeys has helped the reading muchly. I have in the past three weeks consumed the following:

My Booky Wook by Russell Brand
Only bought it as part of a 2 for 7 quid thing but it was interesting. He has been a bit of a shit in the past, but then, he had a bit of a shit past. Very frank and sometimes uncomfortable but worth a read.

Moab is my Washpot by Stephen Fry as above but posh. ;-) Cracking read - he was a bit of a twat for most of his youth but it makes for a good read.

Men with Brooms by erm... a Canadian
- what is better for a train trip across Canada than a novel about curling? Absolutely loved it and really want to see the film now.

and I am now halfway through Microserfs by Doug Coupland recommended by Julie in her infinite wisdom and I am tearing through it. Fan-bloody-tastic. Makes me wish I was older in the 90s and more of a nerd and living in Seattle.

Need more books now though. Am going to be hitting the Doug Coupland shelf at the bookshop tomorrow and have a list provided by Julie including some Christopher Moore that I am sure will make it into my purchasing.

+Quote Post

158 Pages V  « < 86 87 88 89 90 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 06:44 AM