Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Books 2nd Edition, Foreword by m0r1arty
Raven
post Nov 8 2008, 07:32 PM
Post #1336

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

I've just picked up a boxed, hardback edition of The Lord of the Rings that was published in 1974.

The cover is fantastic and it's printed on India paper, so it's a bit like reading a bible. Best of all? It has large fold out maps! (I like a good map!). The box itself is a bit scuffed, but the book is in very good condition indeed.

I have an idea they re-issued something like this when the films came out, and that cost about 50, so I reckon I got a bit of a bargain!

ETA:

Cripes! I've just had a look on eBay and the cheapest version I've been able to find, which is a later imprint than the copy I picked up, is selling for 100! (first editions are going for 250 to 400+).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maian
post Nov 8 2008, 07:49 PM
Post #1337

Bully for you

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,498

I recently finished Blood of Angels by Michael Marshall, which was a hugely entertaining and provocative conclusion to his Straw Men trilogy, particularly after the good but confused second book, The Lonely Dead. I still think it's a shame that he seems to have turned his back on sci-fi now, choosing to not write as Michael Marshall Smith, but the wit and invention he brings to his 'conventional' thrillers is refreshing and his philosophising about modern life and the human psyche has not been tethered by his switch in genre one iota.

+Quote Post
Ade
post Nov 8 2008, 08:03 PM
Post #1338

Ade Flanders

Group: Senior Moderators
From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

QUOTE (Raven @ Nov 8 2008, 07:32 PM) *
I've just picked up a boxed, hardback edition of The Lord of the Rings that was published in 1974.

The cover is fantastic and it's printed on India paper, so it's a bit like reading a bible. Best of all? It has large fold out maps! (I like a good map!). The box itself is a bit scuffed, but the book is in very good condition indeed.

I have an idea they re-issued something like this when the films came out, and that cost about 50, so I reckon I got a bit of a bargain!

ETA:

Cripes! I've just had a look on eBay and the cheapest version I've been able to find, which is a later imprint than the copy I picked up, is selling for 100! (first editions are going for 250 to 400+).

Cool, sounds like a jolly nice find there, sir!

+Quote Post
mcraigclark
post Nov 11 2008, 12:44 AM
Post #1339

I'm a poncey thrush.

Member No.: 5,057

Nice find, Paul! I love accidentally finding a good book deal.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Nov 11 2008, 01:07 AM
Post #1340

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

Cheers! It's over two days latter and I'm still chuffed with it, not because of it's apparent value, but it is a jolly nice book. I do believe I will be re-reading Lord of the Rings again sometime soon!

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Nov 19 2008, 10:06 PM
Post #1341

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Member No.: 2,740

THOMAS PAINE by Craig Nelson
I admit I never even heard of Paine until SONY III, but once I heard a little about his life I had to find out more. Paine was an Englishman and follower of the Enlightenment movement who, after moving to America, became the biggest selling author in the 18th century (though never really made any money - he gave up copyright so as many people as they wanted could print and sell his work) following the publication of two works advocating American independence . He became a major player and influence in the fight for American independence, as well as becoming amajor influence on the French Revolution to the extent where he ended up becoming a member of the French government. He was also equally loved and hated in England and scared the King and Parliament so much that the Government introduced censorship laws that would put the Nazis to shame - Paine would have been executed if he returned to England and anyone who printed his books was jailed.
Not only is the book an interesting insight into Paine's life - from his early years as tax man, to his escape by luck from the guillotine in Paris, up to the robbing of his grave and the selling/distribution of parts of his corpse throughout the world - but also an interesting look at the history of the time. I found it surprising how much American independence owes to pure luck, misunderstanding and arrogance on both sides, as well as being a war full of contradictions. As for the French Revolution, it really was a bloody, nasty mess.

A great book about one of the most important, divisive, yet little known men in history.

Pete/Rachel - the bar we visited that Paine stayed in towards the end of his life - who was the woman that looked after him? Also, dd you say he was disliked by many Americans because he kept his British citizenship as a protest against the American support for slavery?

+Quote Post
Sir_Robin_the_br...
post Nov 20 2008, 01:06 PM
Post #1342

Allow me to hold your face under the putrescent waters of knowle

Member No.: 3,662

I'm about a third of the way into LA Confidential and it's pretty good, if slightly hard going (probably just me having trouble adjusting to James Ellroy's writing style)

I've put it temporarily on hold to read Danny Wallace's Yes Man, which I am enjoying very much as a break.

This has, I think, been covered before, but I've read Girlfriend in a Coma (excellent) and Microserfs (more excellent) and I was hoping for some forum recommendations about which Coupland books to read next.

+Quote Post
Julie
post Nov 20 2008, 02:29 PM
Post #1343

Hot Lips.

Member No.: 3,352

QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ Nov 20 2008, 08:06 AM) *
This has, I think, been covered before, but I've read Girlfriend in a Coma (excellent) and Microserfs (more excellent) and I was hoping for some forum recommendations about which Coupland books to read next.

Since you've read Microserfs, I'd say read JPod now. It's a great follow-up.

+Quote Post
Jubei
post Nov 20 2008, 02:56 PM
Post #1344

Meow

Member No.: 2,416

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Nov 4 2008, 10:06 AM) *
So I finished at the weekend. Pretty good overall, but with the usual Hamilton handicaps. Although for the first time I've enjoyed being submerged in his worlds for extended periods rather than resenting his endless unnecessary description, I wonder why he feels the need to describe what everyone eats at mealtimes; it's just a little bit twee.

But things are set up nicely for the 'The Evolutionary Void'. I imagine the two universes will begin to merge somewhat. Any ideas about what the Deterrent Fleet is? Who were Rah and The Lady? What role will Ozzie play?

No clue what the deterrent fleet will be. I assumed it would just be some super secret super powerful ships, although nothing completely out of the ordinary, or maybe they'll be massive or something, or perhaps based on Raiel DF technology? I suppose it would have to be pretty out of the ordinary, as the ultra drive ships are all pretty tasty in their own right. Do we have any allies that haven't been mantioned yet? Ooh, perhaps they're run by the SI? Although it appeared that it had been pretty much cut off from humanity for while. Oh wait, what if Nigel Sheldon runs the deterrent fleet? He might have a system or two just churning out super specced ships and manned by an army of young Sheldons?

Rah and the Lady? I guess they were pioneers. Do they ever mention colony ships in the Commonwealth saga timelines? That certainly seems to be what is hinted at. And they may have been the captain and second in command, perhaps their names have been corrupted over time? I can't think of any familiar names they could have been corrupted from though. It would have to be pre- commonwealth saga wouldn't it? Time in the void is screwy though. Perhaps Justine is the Lady and Gore will be Rah?

And I like the way Gore is able to work out what the Void is so easily. Making the consequences of actions within the void very real outside the void should also make the Living Dream lot think twice, some of them anyway.

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Nov 20 2008, 03:29 PM
Post #1345

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

QUOTE (Jubei @ Nov 20 2008, 02:56 PM) *
Oh wait, what if Nigel Sheldon runs the deterrent fleet? He might have a system or two just churning out super specced ships and manned by an army of young Sheldons?

I can't think of any familiar names they could have been corrupted from though. It would have to be pre- commonwealth saga wouldn't it? Time in the void is screwy though. Perhaps Justine is the Lady and Gore will be Rah?

And I like the way Gore is able to work out what the Void is so easily. Making the consequences of actions within the void very real outside the void should also make the Living Dream lot think twice, some of them anyway.

I'm sure Nigel will come back into it somehow, despite him supposedly flying off to other galaxies, so maybe. I can't imagine that they have Raiel technology, otherwise they wouldn't have been so surprised at the power of the Raiel defenders who nearly killed Justine. It'll be fun to find out!

Hamilton has said that Justine is not the Lady. They are definitely people from Coomonwealth ships but were they anyone of import from the Commonwealth books? I'm not sure. Apparently Aaron is not someone particularly well-known either.

Unfortunately the Living Dream followers don't care about the outside world enough to save it, so I'm not sure the way it functions will deter them at all.

Only 18 months to wait...

+Quote Post
Jubei
post Nov 20 2008, 03:37 PM
Post #1346

Meow

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Nov 20 2008, 03:29 PM) *
I'm sure Nigel will come back into it somehow, despite him supposedly flying off to other galaxies, so maybe. I can't imagine that they have Raiel technology, otherwise they wouldn't have been so surprised at the power of the Raiel defenders who nearly killed Justine. It'll be fun to find out!

Hamilton has said that Justine is not the Lady. They are definitely people from Coomonwealth ships but were they anyone of import from the Commonwealth books? I'm not sure. Apparently Aaron is not someone particularly well-known either.

Unfortunately the Living Dream followers don't care about the outside world enough to save it, so I'm not sure the way it functions will deter them at all.

Only 18 months to wait...

Has he? Ah well, guess she's not then. It would be too obvious. Maybe Rah and the Lady are Inigo and Araminta?

+Quote Post
rebelstar
post Nov 20 2008, 04:35 PM
Post #1347

'ullo!

Member No.: 6,134

Since I'm (finally) about to start reading The Temporal Void, was I correct to skip over the last few posts, or are they spoiler free?

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Nov 20 2008, 04:40 PM
Post #1348

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

QUOTE (rebelstar @ Nov 20 2008, 04:35 PM) *
Since I'm (finally) about to start reading The Temporal Void, was I correct to skip over the last few posts, or are they spoiler free?

I wouldn't read them if I were you!

+Quote Post
Jubei
post Nov 20 2008, 04:41 PM
Post #1349

Meow

QUOTE (rebelstar @ Nov 20 2008, 04:35 PM) *

Probably right to, although there's not a huge amount of actual factual spoilerage in there. Sorry, I'd thought by now it would probably be safe. Mea culpa.

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Nov 20 2008, 05:57 PM
Post #1350

OMNOMNOM

Member No.: 3,076

QUOTE (Sostie @ Nov 19 2008, 10:06 PM) *
Pete/Rachel - the bar we visited that Paine stayed in towards the end of his life - who was the woman that looked after him? Also, dd you say he was disliked by many Americans because he kept his British citizenship as a protest against the American support for slavery?

Her name was Marguerite de Bonneville and the bar was Marie's Crisis Cafe. He did keep his British citizenship, apparently because he felt the American Constitution was such an abhorrent document (because of the language in it that condone the owning of slaves) that he refused to become a citizen of the USA.

+Quote Post

158 Pages V  « < 88 89 90 91 92 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 12:41 AM