> Books 2nd Edition, Foreword by m0r1arty
Raven
post Mar 6 2010, 02:42 PM
Post #1726

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE (Sean of the Dead @ Mar 4 2010, 10:44 PM) *
I thought I'd go for a thematic double bill of alternate histories by reading Fatherland by Robert Harris and Making History by Stephen Fry. The former was an excellent, gripping and hugely entertaining detective story elevated by its unusual and brilliantly realised context, with Hitler's Germania depicted as a world of the clandestine and eerily kitsch masking dark and terrible secrets. The latter was enjoyable and often very funny, with the added bonus of having my home city depicted, but it felt a little inconsistent.

If you liked Fatherland, give Enigma a try, it's a much better book.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maian
post Mar 8 2010, 07:01 PM
Post #1727

Bully for you

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,498

After reading a couple of pages in Waterstones, I've picked up a copy of The Steel Remains after Jessop and Igmeister's positive comments. I also picked up Fool by Christopher Moore, which I cannae wait to read.

+Quote Post
mcraigclark
post Mar 9 2010, 10:45 AM
Post #1728

I'm a poncey thrush.

Member No.: 5,057

QUOTE (maian @ Mar 8 2010, 02:01 PM) *
I also picked up Fool by Christopher Moore, which I cannae wait to read.

You will love. Speaking of Moore, I am almost finished with Bite Me. I decided to re-read Bloodsucking Fiends and You Suck! before I started this one, and I'm glad I did. I don't think Bite Me is as funny as it could be, but I like it.

+Quote Post
Igmeister
post Mar 9 2010, 08:21 PM
Post #1729

Don't ever get a cat.

Member No.: 3,736

Just finished 'The City and The City' by China Mieville . Not read any of his stuff before, but have meant to for a long time, didn't want to start with a series so decided to give this a try. At first glance it is a straightforward crime novel, that becomes more complicated when it is explained the two cities referred to in the title are actually in the same geographical space... Found it a very rewarding read, and will definitely have a look at some of Mieville's other work.

Starting now on 'Small Wars' by Sadie Jones. Thought 'The Outcast' was an excellent debut, so really looking forward to seeing where this one goes.

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Mar 10 2010, 02:02 PM
Post #1730

OMNOMNOM

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 3,076

QUOTE (Igmeister @ Mar 9 2010, 09:21 PM) *
Just finished 'The City and The City' by China Mieville . Not read any of his stuff before, but have meant to for a long time, didn't want to start with a series so decided to give this a try. At first glance it is a straightforward crime novel, that becomes more complicated when it is explained the two cities referred to in the title are actually in the same geographical space... Found it a very rewarding read, and will definitely have a look at some of Mieville's other work.

I've heard about this book before and it was recommended - will have to get hold of it methinks.

I've almost finished The Shadow of the Sun by Ryszard Kapuscinski. Part memoir of his days as a reporter in Africa, part narrative, it's a fascinating description of a continent in the turbulent years of the 1960s-1980s, trying to understand its place in the world in the post-colonial period. The chapters when he was in Uganda evoked a lot of memories for me and the non-linear structure of the book (each chapter is in a different place and time) serves to create an overall picture of a chaotic, multi-faceted place, one that is probably more accurate than any dry description.

He is a fantastic writer and I loved this book. Thanks to Luke for getting it for me!

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Mar 10 2010, 02:08 PM
Post #1731

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

QUOTE (maian @ Mar 4 2010, 10:28 PM) *
I tried reading one of his books a while ago (I think it was Altered Carbon) after you mentioned him but just didn't get on with it at all. Something about his style failed to click with me. I'll probably try again, though, since as a rule I always finish a book I start.

I love Altered Carbon - obviously. Try again!

QUOTE (maian @ Mar 8 2010, 07:01 PM) *
After reading a couple of pages in Waterstones, I've picked up a copy of The Steel Remains after Jessop and Igmeister's positive comments. I also picked up Fool by Christopher Moore, which I cannae wait to read.

Let us know what you think...

QUOTE (Igmeister @ Mar 9 2010, 08:21 PM) *
that becomes more complicated when it is explained the two cities referred to in the title are actually in the same geographical space...

Spoiler?

I'm very excited. I bought Alastair Reynolds shiny new one, Terminal World today.

And I recently started 'Marrow' by Robert Reed, bought on the strength of a short story in an anthology I bought at Christmas. It's extremely weird, but good reading so far.

+Quote Post
Chapman Baxter
post Mar 10 2010, 02:13 PM
Post #1732

The sick product of a crazy society

Member No.: 2,263

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Mar 10 2010, 02:08 PM) *
I'm very excited. I bought Alastair Reynolds shiny new one, Terminal World today.

Excellent, I didn't know that was out yet. Will be picking that up soon.

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Mar 10 2010, 02:16 PM
Post #1733

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

QUOTE (Chapman Baxter @ Mar 10 2010, 02:13 PM) *
Excellent, I didn't know that was out yet. Will be picking that up soon.

He's signing at FP on Saturday. I can't make it but he's always delighted to meet fans.

+Quote Post
Chapman Baxter
post Mar 10 2010, 02:26 PM
Post #1734

The sick product of a crazy society

Member No.: 2,263

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Mar 10 2010, 02:16 PM) *
He's signing at FP on Saturday. I can't make it but he's always delighted to meet fans.

I'm quite tempted - I'll see if I can spare the time.

+Quote Post
maian
post Mar 10 2010, 03:32 PM
Post #1735

Bully for you

Spoiler?

I've not read the book, but if that's a spoiler then every review - and the back cover of the book itself - gave it away.

+Quote Post
Igmeister
post Mar 10 2010, 07:50 PM
Post #1736

Don't ever get a cat.

Member No.: 3,736

Spoiler?

I did wonder, but as maian said it tells you in the blurb. Terminal World is on my to read list, let us know what it's like.

+Quote Post
jem
post Mar 10 2010, 11:15 PM
Post #1737

Addict

Member No.: 4,332

Just Started "A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole. I was a bit nervous when I first picked it up, due to the main character being so loathsome, but I'm actually liking it. Especially the parts with Officer Mancuso and Jones. Is quite intelligent and funny. Very unexpected.

+Quote Post
mcraigclark
post Mar 12 2010, 02:02 AM
Post #1738

I'm a poncey thrush.

Member No.: 5,057

Finished Christopher Moore's new book Bite Me. I wonder if it's the last we'll see of the Jody/Tommy love story? Anyway, Moore fans won't be disappointed, but it will help immensely if you've read Bloodsucking Fiends and You Suck first, and in that order.

+Quote Post
maian
post Mar 12 2010, 01:24 PM
Post #1739

Bully for you

Nearly two years after I started it, I finally finished Stephen King's Skeleton Crew. It took me so long to read because the book is a collection of short stories, so I just dipped in and out between reading full novels, and when I bought the book I did so mainly to read The Mist in advance of seeing the film version, so once I had read that I felt no real impetus to read the whole thing in one go. As well as being the longest story, The Mist is probably the best of the bunch, which run the gamut from creepy ('The Raft') and disturbing ('The Survivor Type') to goofy ('The Jaunt') and fucking dull ('The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet'). Very much a mixed bag, but the good stories are terrific and do at least outnumber the bad.

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Mar 12 2010, 03:47 PM
Post #1740

Money ...

Member No.: 2,511

I'm re-reading Never trust a Rabbit by Jeremy Dyson. I think this is one of my favourite collection of short stories ever. It's so pitch perfect.

I love Jeremy Dyson.

+Quote Post

158 Pages V  « < 114 115 116 117 118 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 06:05 AM