> Books 2nd Edition, Foreword by m0r1arty
widowspider
post May 18 2010, 01:18 PM
Post #1816

OMNOMNOM

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 3,076

QUOTE (Everlong @ May 18 2010, 12:20 PM) *
Gonna get started on 'Lost in a good book' by Jasper Fforde later. Really enjoyed 'Eyre affair'

You'll enjoy it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Everlong
post May 18 2010, 01:37 PM
Post #1817

Batman.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 5,397

Yay!

+Quote Post
Shack
post May 18 2010, 06:41 PM
Post #1818

Live And Let Pie

Member No.: 3,441

QUOTE (Everlong @ May 18 2010, 01:20 PM) *
Gonna get started on 'Lost in a good book' by Jasper Fforde later. Really enjoyed 'Eyre affair'

It's rather good. Although I suggest you note down some of the things that happened in the Eyre Affair because I'd forgotten.

+Quote Post
Shack
post May 21 2010, 05:09 PM
Post #1819

Live And Let Pie

Restless - William Boyd

Single mum finds out mum used to be a spy, cue flashbacks to the past and mystery solving flipping between World War II and the seventies. Pretty good.

+Quote Post
Jubei
post May 21 2010, 05:43 PM
Post #1820

Meow

Member No.: 2,416

QUOTE (Igmeister @ Apr 22 2010, 08:59 PM) *
I've given up on it, couldn't get into it and found it seriously unfunny. Started on Ark by Stephen Baxter instead.

I'm Stephen Baxtering myself up at the moment. I got the Xeelee Omnibus and I've worked my way through Raft, Timelike Infinity, Flux and I've almost finished Ring. I've really enjoyed the way each book has a central concept, like in Raft the gravitaional force, normally incredibly weak, is billions of times stronger so the entire universse is completely different in every way imaginable, or Flux is set around a community of almost post-technology pastoral micro people made of tin who measure distances in centimetres and metres and live in a neutrino superfluid in the photosphere of a star. Brilliant. Might have to see if there's an anthology of the short stories so that I can fill in the gaps in the 10 million year timeline...

This post has been edited by Jubei: May 21 2010, 05:43 PM

+Quote Post
maian
post May 22 2010, 03:47 PM
Post #1821

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

QUOTE (Julie @ May 17 2010, 07:13 PM) *
I vaguely remember Hey, Nostradamus! being very engaging.

Indeed it was. I was really impressed with his ability to give each of the four narrators their own unique voices and viewpoints, particularly since those viewpoints cast the other narrators in very different lights as the book progressed. I also thought that his unwillingness to comment to heavily on the cause of the school shooting at the start of the book was a great strength, since he really understood that the causes aren't as important to the characters as the effects, and how the shooting cast a pall over their lives, even people like Heather, who wasn't directly involved. I think I much prefer Coupland when hs is in philosophical, character-driven road, as opposed to the more bitingly sarcastic Coupland of JPod.

+Quote Post
Julie
post May 22 2010, 05:24 PM
Post #1822

Hot Lips.

Member No.: 3,352

QUOTE (maian @ May 22 2010, 11:47 AM) *
Indeed it was. I was really impressed with his ability to give each of the four narrators their own unique voices and viewpoints, particularly since those viewpoints cast the other narrators in very different lights as the book progressed. I also thought that his unwillingness to comment to heavily on the cause of the school shooting at the start of the book was a great strength, since he really understood that the causes aren't as important to the characters as the effects, and how the shooting cast a pall over their lives, even people like Heather, who wasn't directly involved. I think I much prefer Coupland when hs is in philosophical, character-driven road, as opposed to the more bitingly sarcastic Coupland of JPod.

In that case, I think you'd love Generation: A, then.

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post May 22 2010, 08:08 PM
Post #1823

Money ...

Member No.: 2,511

I found Oh What A Carve Up! by Jonathan Coe in a free book share bin at work. Zoe is right. It is really really good.

+Quote Post
Raven
post May 23 2010, 08:33 PM
Post #1824

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

Finished The Gum Thief, I really enjoyed it, a lot better than jPod.

+Quote Post
Shack
post May 28 2010, 07:37 PM
Post #1825

Live And Let Pie

Currently reading Mystery Man by Colin Bateman.

I think Christopher Moore fans would love it (except that it doesn't have anything that bends reality too much) as it's funny, the lead character is quite quite OCD and it's about a book shop.

Recommended.

+Quote Post
Igmeister
post May 31 2010, 12:27 PM
Post #1826

Don't ever get a cat.

Member No.: 3,736

Finished Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist Really wish I'd read this before I'd seen the film, but either way it's still both shocking and gripping. starts slowly and is not as terrifying as it would have been, but well worth a read.

+Quote Post
maian
post Jun 13 2010, 09:12 PM
Post #1827

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

I finished reading Little Brother by Cory Doctorow yesterday. I really, really liked it. Doctorow is clearly very passionate about the rights of people in the digital age and he interweaves his concerns into a compelling narrative about a 17 year old kid who gets taken prisoner by the Department of Homeland Security following a terrorist task, and who fights back against the abuses of power he sees taking hold of his beloved San Francisco. It bristles with teenage rebellion and, if I'd read it when I was 17, it would probably have blown my mind.

I've now started two books; my public book - the one I can read on the train or at work - is Out of Sight by Elmore Leonard (brought on by watching Justified) and my at home book - the one I will get flack for if I read it anywhere other than at home - is My Booky Wook by Russell Brand. They have both proven very entertaining so far, but for very different reasons.

+Quote Post
Everlong
post Jun 14 2010, 11:15 AM
Post #1828

Batman.

Member No.: 5,397

QUOTE (Shack @ May 28 2010, 08:37 PM) *
Currently reading Mystery Man by Colin Bateman.

I think Christopher Moore fans would love it (except that it doesn't have anything that bends reality too much) as it's funny, the lead character is quite quite OCD and it's about a book shop.

Recommended.

I read that last year, really enjoyed it. Funny, and just a bit clever too. In my head he was like a book version of Bernard Black, albeit less nutty and more organised version (like trying to avoid customers when they ring). I'll say no more, as I don't know how far in you are.

I hope there's a follow up though with these characters, that would be great.

I didn't know his (Bateman) first name actually. I hadn't heard of him previously.

+Quote Post
blackcherry
post Jun 14 2010, 11:23 AM
Post #1829

I'm down here for your soul

Member No.: 4,295

I've just started reading The Vesuvius Club by Mark Gatiss and am really enjoying it so far. The only problem is finding the time to read!

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Jun 14 2010, 11:28 AM
Post #1830

Money ...

Member No.: 2,511

I'm reading Wide Open by Nicola Barker. Out of the trendy Granta list style authors - she is the few (like Peace, Coe and Mitchell) who have an original voice. Alan Warner is perhaps similar stuff. I don't think she is the best writer of the lot but she is good and proof that many writers improve with age. Here is a recent interview - she sounds both humble and funny. I will try her more comic stuff next. This one is quite dark and sinister.

+Quote Post

158 Pages V  « < 120 121 122 123 124 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 06:27 PM