Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Books 2nd Edition, Foreword by m0r1arty
maian
post Jul 18 2011, 11:43 PM
Post #2176

Bully for you

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,498

I tore through The Spy Who Came In From The Cold by John Le Carre over the last three days. Beautifully written, frantically paced, and chock full of morally ambiguous characters engaged in double-crosses and con jobs. Le Carre obviously had some considerable experience as a member of the Intelligence Service, and he brought a clear, unflinching eye to the world of spies that is still captivating fifty years later. Alec Leamas is a great central character; bitter, angry and conflicted, soldiering on for King and Country despite the fact he doesn't really believe in either anymore. Le Carre also does a wonderful job portraying the shades of grey that made up espionage during the Cold War. Neither side is portrayed as good, but as two groups of people willing to do absolutely horrible things to win, whatever 'winning' is.

I'm now reading Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy in anticipation of the film version (and because it's been so long since I watched the TV series that I can't remember most of it).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Jul 19 2011, 01:02 PM
Post #2177

OMNOMNOM

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 3,076

^I need to read some Le Carre. I think my mum has all the books at home, may do a sneaky steal when I'm there.

I just started reading Neuromancer by William Gibson. Really great so far.

+Quote Post
Shack
post Jul 19 2011, 09:10 PM
Post #2178

Live And Let Pie

Member No.: 3,441

QUOTE (Shack @ Jul 12 2011, 09:39 PM) *
Now onto the second one and it's extremely apparent that a lot of things Salander is doing are similar to the phone hacking scandals.

This is becoming ever more true the more I read.

+Quote Post
maian
post Jul 24 2011, 11:07 AM
Post #2179

Bully for you

QUOTE (maian @ Jul 19 2011, 12:43 AM) *
I'm now reading Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy in anticipation of the film version (and because it's been so long since I watched the TV series that I can't remember most of it).

Just finished this and loved it. I knew who the mole was from watching the TV series on VHS as a kid, but like any good mystery the pleasure of the story is in finding out how it unfolds, rather than how it ends. Le Carre's skill seems to lie in turning incredibly dense stories - especially ones like this which consist of characters talking at great length, often in an invented technical language and rarely saying what they really mean - into digestible, thrilling games of cat and mouse. It also helps that George Smiley is one of the great creations of espionage literature; cold, bitter, intelligent and worldweary. I'm really looking forward to reading The Honourable Schoolboy and Smiley's People once I finish the Hunger Games trilogy.

+Quote Post
Everlong
post Jul 28 2011, 09:58 PM
Post #2180

Batman.

Member No.: 5,397

Kraken by China Mieville.

Just finished it. Loved it. Completely mental fun, full of great little concepts, and weird/immoral/intense/heroic/cowardly/'Add your description here' characters. It's all about a museum curator Billy, who tended to a Kraken which one night, gets stolen. Suddenly he's taken by all sorts of monsters and weirdos from the underworld, before being rescued by colleague Dane. Then it's a mad dash around London searching for the giant kidnapped squid.

Features such moments as our heroes fighting off the nasties with an actual star trek phaser, and a gangster who happens to be a talking Tattoo. Bonkers.

I've also bought 'The City And The City' by him recently, that sounds good too. But first, I begin Transition by Iain Banks (gonna get round to his culture novels soon, I was going to start with Consider Phlebas but was distracted by Kraken).

+Quote Post
Shack
post Aug 2 2011, 04:11 PM
Post #2181

Live And Let Pie

Finished all the "Girl with/who..." books this morning. Very recommended if hard to keep pace with who everyone is.

Now, thanks to a glowing recommendation from our very own Ed, I've plumped for two John Le Carre books from the library and have the next PJ Tracy one to read as well. Hooray for holidays!

+Quote Post
Shack
post Aug 15 2011, 09:03 PM
Post #2182

Live And Let Pie

PJ Tracy - Snow Blind - jolly good. Read in about 3 days.

John Le Carre - The Spy Who Came In From The Cold - I felt I was swimming in a sea I didn't understand. I liked it, but I wasn't sure what the hell was going on. I think my concentration was flagging.

+Quote Post
maian
post Aug 15 2011, 09:11 PM
Post #2183

Bully for you

QUOTE (Shack @ Aug 15 2011, 10:03 PM) *
John Le Carre - The Spy Who Came In From The Cold - I felt I was swimming in a sea I didn't understand. I liked it, but I wasn't sure what the hell was going on. I think my concentration was flagging.

I felt kind of the same when I read it, but I think that's at least partially intentional since it places you in much the same position as the characters. I get the feeling that it's more rewarding on a second read, once you know where it's going.

+Quote Post
Silky
post Aug 15 2011, 09:59 PM
Post #2184

Coin Operated Boy

Member No.: 4,112

Started World War Z again today. Mostly to pass the time until I get my hands on Snuff.

+Quote Post
ella
post Aug 15 2011, 10:21 PM
Post #2185

Mrs P

Member No.: 2,360

QUOTE (Silky @ Aug 15 2011, 10:59 PM) *
Started World War Z again today.

I started this yesterday. Steve just finished it as he is starting a couple of weeks' work on the film next week. So far, so good.

+Quote Post
Sean of the Dead
post Aug 16 2011, 09:04 AM
Post #2186

Conscience gets expensive, doesn't it?

Member No.: 2,924

QUOTE (Silky @ Aug 15 2011, 10:59 PM) *
Started World War Z again today. Mostly to pass the time until I get my hands on Snuff.

I really liked this, perhaps even more so when I found out that Max Brooks is Mel Brooks' son.

+Quote Post
Silky
post Aug 16 2011, 09:37 AM
Post #2187

Coin Operated Boy

QUOTE (Sean of the Dead @ Aug 16 2011, 10:04 AM) *
I really liked this, perhaps even more so when I found out that Max Brooks is Mel Brooks' son.

Really? That's amazing.

QUOTE (ella @ Aug 15 2011, 11:21 PM) *
I started this yesterday. Steve just finished it as he is starting a couple of weeks' work on the film next week. So far, so good.

It's a great book ella, I just hope the film sticks to the same tone.

This post has been edited by Silky: Aug 16 2011, 09:38 AM

+Quote Post
Shack
post Aug 16 2011, 10:14 AM
Post #2188

Live And Let Pie

QUOTE (ella @ Aug 15 2011, 11:21 PM) *

You'll love it. I rattled through it, although it did make me want to live in a zombie proof house.

+Quote Post
mcraigclark
post Aug 16 2011, 10:37 AM
Post #2189

I'm a poncey thrush.

Member No.: 5,057

QUOTE (Silky @ Aug 16 2011, 05:37 AM) *
I just hope the film sticks to the same tone.

Not going to happen. Seems the film will take place just before/right as the outbreak begins. The main character will be zipping around the world trying to prevent the outbreak from taking hold. Disappointing.

+Quote Post
Silky
post Aug 16 2011, 12:59 PM
Post #2190

Coin Operated Boy

QUOTE (mcraigclark @ Aug 16 2011, 11:37 AM) *
Not going to happen. Seems the film will take place just before/right as the outbreak begins. The main character will be zipping around the world trying to prevent the outbreak from taking hold. Disappointing.

Very sad.gif
Oh well, on the plus side, I can still make an indie version, that is much closer in tone to the book

+Quote Post

158 Pages V  « < 144 145 146 147 148 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 10:14 PM