> Books 2nd Edition, Foreword by m0r1arty
Shack
post Aug 17 2011, 06:36 PM
Post #2191

Live And Let Pie

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,441

QUOTE (mcraigclark @ Aug 16 2011, 11:37 AM) *
Not going to happen. Seems the film will take place just before/right as the outbreak begins. The main character will be zipping around the world trying to prevent the outbreak from taking hold. Disappointing.

When I was down in Cornballs earlier in the month, we heard plenty o whispers that Brad Pitt was filming it in Falmouth just down the road.

I'd have preferred a documentary type film, but then it's quite a hard book to film.

Now onto Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. It's great so far.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Raven
post Aug 26 2011, 10:05 AM
Post #2192

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE (maian @ Jul 19 2011, 12:43 AM) *
I tore through The Spy Who Came In From The Cold by John Le Carre over the last three days.

Just picked up a copy of this, along with a copy of The Complete Fairy Tales by the Brothers Grimm.

+Quote Post
Shack
post Aug 28 2011, 12:31 PM
Post #2193

Live And Let Pie

QUOTE (maian @ Jul 9 2011, 12:32 PM) *
I'm now going on to The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, because they sound like awesome books.

Having read your review, I picked this up on Tuesday. I'd finished it by Friday morning, it's really good. There's a few concessions to the teen market, but it's a cracking read. You're very right about the pace, it never lets up! My main concern as I read about the film yesterday was that it might be softened slightly. I hope the primal side is all kept.

I'll have to get the other books too.

+Quote Post
maian
post Aug 28 2011, 01:44 PM
Post #2194

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

I think they probably will soften it, if only because some of the violence would be a bit too extreme for the demographic that the film will be going after, but I think that they could keep the intensity of the story without conceding too much. I just hope that they keep as much of Katniss' tracker jacker hallucinations in as possible, because those are really messed up in a way which could translate well to a film adaptation.

+Quote Post
Everlong
post Aug 28 2011, 03:14 PM
Post #2195

Batman.

Member No.: 5,397

I think it will be toned down graphically a bit, especially a few deaths... Rue in particular, and Cato's. But keeping the tone.

I agree, the trippiness and hallucinations brought on by Tracker Jackers will probably translate to the film rather well.

I'm a little way into 'Catching Fire' myself. Liking it so far, will probably finish the rest of the book this week, almost as fast as I finished Hunger Games (that was done in a few days on commutes).

Speaking of which, the trailer debuts in America tonight.

This post has been edited by Everlong: Aug 28 2011, 03:17 PM

+Quote Post
Shack
post Aug 28 2011, 06:08 PM
Post #2196

Live And Let Pie

I did really like the trackerjackers bit, I didn't know which bits were real at all. Demographic is going to rule in part, but hopefully they'll keep up the pace.

I feel there's more in the Gale story, but I think that'll be extended in the second book.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Sep 3 2011, 11:16 AM
Post #2197

Space Cowboy

QUOTE (Shack @ Aug 15 2011, 10:03 PM) *
John Le Carre - The Spy Who Came In From The Cold - I felt I was swimming in a sea I didn't understand. I liked it, but I wasn't sure what the hell was going on. I think my concentration was flagging.

QUOTE (maian @ Aug 15 2011, 10:11 PM) *
I felt kind of the same when I read it, but I think that's at least partially intentional since it places you in much the same position as the characters. I get the feeling that it's more rewarding on a second read, once you know where it's going.

Finished this in the wee hours of this morning, very good.

I didn't have any problems following it, and I was pretty sure how it was going to unfold from about mid-way through, but that didn't make it any less enjoyable. For anyone planning to read it I would definitely recommend reading Call For the Dead before hand, as it is referenced pretty heavily in this book. Looking forward to The Looking Glass War now!

QUOTE (Everlong @ Jul 28 2011, 10:58 PM) *
Kraken by China Mieville.

Just finished it. Loved it. Completely mental fun, full of great little concepts, and weird/immoral/intense/heroic/cowardly/'Add your description here' characters. It's all about a museum curator Billy, who tended to a Kraken which one night, gets stolen. Suddenly he's taken by all sorts of monsters and weirdos from the underworld, before being rescued by colleague Dane. Then it's a mad dash around London searching for the giant kidnapped squid.

Features such moments as our heroes fighting off the nasties with an actual star trek phaser, and a gangster who happens to be a talking Tattoo. Bonkers.

I read this earlier this year, and am still not sure what to make of it.

The book has a lot of interesting concepts in it, some interesting characters and a good deal of humour and satire, but I can't say I found the overall experience of reading it very enjoyable. In places it was a bit of a slog.

+Quote Post
Shack
post Sep 3 2011, 05:08 PM
Post #2198

Live And Let Pie

QUOTE (Raven @ Sep 3 2011, 12:16 PM) *

The book has a lot of interesting concepts in it, some interesting characters and a good deal of humour and satire, but I can't say I found the overall experience of reading it very enjoyable. In places it was a bit of a slog.

I'm reading it now and I know what you mean. There's elements of Will Self about it and I do find myself drifting off when I'm reading it from time to time, but then something good happens to pull me back in.

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Sep 4 2011, 03:21 PM
Post #2199

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

QUOTE (Raven @ Sep 3 2011, 12:16 PM) *

QUOTE (Shack @ Sep 3 2011, 06:08 PM) *
I'm reading it now and I know what you mean. There's elements of Will Self about it and I do find myself drifting off when I'm reading it from time to time, but then something good happens to pull me back in.

I think that is the nature of Mieville's work, in my experience. "Perdido Street Station" is a stunningly weird and original book but massively overwrought at times, as is "The Scar" which I probably enjoyed more but which again was 150 pages too long. I have recurring dreams about Silas Fennec's abilities with the statue. However, I found "Iron Council" inconceivably dull and couldn't even finish it.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Sep 5 2011, 12:06 AM
Post #2200

Space Cowboy

I think I found Kraken a hard read because the language was needlessly complex.

I'm not sure if that makes much sense . . .

+Quote Post
mcraigclark
post Sep 5 2011, 03:15 AM
Post #2201

I'm a poncey thrush.

Member No.: 5,057

QUOTE (Raven @ Sep 4 2011, 08:06 PM) *
needlessly complex.

See: Thomas Pynchon

+Quote Post
Everlong
post Sep 5 2011, 11:53 AM
Post #2202

Batman.

Member No.: 5,397

QUOTE (mcraigclark @ Sep 5 2011, 04:15 AM) *
See: Thomas Pynchon

Gravity's Brainblow.

As for Kraken, it was my first Mieville, and I've got City and The City and Perdito Street Station waiting to be read. Know what you mean about it being complex, some parts got a bit jumbled and seemed to trip over each other, mostly the descriptive parts.

I still got very much into it though and once I got past the wordiness of it, grew to love it.

This post has been edited by Everlong: Sep 5 2011, 12:14 PM

+Quote Post
Raven
post Sep 5 2011, 02:27 PM
Post #2203

Space Cowboy

I must say, I've not been inspired to go looking for any of his other books, though I might be tempted by a sequel to Kraken, should he write one.

After a few years.

Possibly . . .

+Quote Post
Shack
post Sep 5 2011, 08:35 PM
Post #2204

Live And Let Pie

Tricky one. There are bits when reading that I feel aren't that important (the dream bits and the historical bits) and that's when I zone out.

The bits with Goss, Subby, the female officer who's name escapes me and Dane all have plenty of merit, it's the bits inbetween and the wiffling on that I don't like.

+Quote Post
Schlubalybub
post Sep 6 2011, 12:59 PM
Post #2205

One Pinter

Member No.: 6,930

I've started reading the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. Perhaps I should have started at the beginning, but I am really enjoying this collection of short stories.

+Quote Post

158 Pages V  « < 145 146 147 148 149 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 03:14 AM