> Books 2nd Edition, Foreword by m0r1arty
mcraigclark
post Apr 4 2007, 10:46 AM
Post #226

I'm a poncey thrush.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 5,057

QUOTE (Zoe @ Apr 4 2007, 06:40 AM)
Is it possible to be an Ian McEwan fangirl?

All the best girls are, Zoe.

I've also just read The Handmaid's Tale for the first time. Strange how current some of it felt.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Starscream`s Gho...
post Apr 4 2007, 10:47 AM
Post #227

Alley Viper

Member No.: 3,024

QUOTE (mcraigclark @ Apr 4 2007, 11:46 AM)
I've also just read The Handmaid's Tale for the first time.  Strange how current some of it felt.

Y'know, I was just thinking that the other day. We read that for my A-Level English Lit. It seemed scary then, scarier now.

Shame about the film, though.

+Quote Post
curtinparloe
post Apr 4 2007, 10:54 AM
Post #228

All out of mercy today.

Member No.: 4,706

I was part way through that and it was mislaid somewhere in the move. sad.gif

Bought Lord of the Flies and Discourse on Method and the Meditations yesterday.

+Quote Post
SkipToTheEnd
post Apr 4 2007, 11:08 AM
Post #229

Young Roberts could not face another moussaka

Member No.: 3,477

I'm halfway through Vanity Fair...

+Quote Post
maian
post Apr 4 2007, 11:23 AM
Post #230

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

Finished The Big Sleep yesterday. Seeing as I seem to be reading a lot of things that reference or parody Chandler, I thought it was about time I investigated the real thing. Great book, wonderfully written. Shame that it didn't have the same ending as the film in that you actually find out who did it.

+Quote Post
bigfatrich
post Apr 4 2007, 07:44 PM
Post #231

Daddy Cool

Member No.: 5,022

QUOTE (maian @ Apr 4 2007, 11:23 AM)
Finished The Big Sleep yesterday. Seeing as I seem to be reading a lot of things that reference or parody Chandler, I thought it was about time I investigated the real thing. Great book, wonderfully written. Shame that it didn't have the same ending as the film in that you actually find out who did it.

I read this as I was inspired by my brother who was doing a PhD on American detective fiction. From this, I got a bit of a love for the genre. It's something in the attitude which comes across in the style of the writing and the attitude of the characters.

From this, I've gone on to absolutely bum Jame Ellroy - the man's a genius. I'm currently reading Moon Palace by Paul Auster. He's another of my favourites as he apperas to be such a thoughtful, poetic writer. I love the way he messes, plays with and changes memory through different viewpoints and his use of language.

+Quote Post
Ghost_862
post Apr 4 2007, 08:18 PM
Post #232

Daddy Cool

Member No.: 2,633

I'm a big fan of film noir and have similarly been intending for a while on reading a few of the original books, especially Raymond Chandler's. However, I have a big stack of books already waiting to be read. I might buy one or two to read on holiday.

+Quote Post
maian
post Apr 4 2007, 08:47 PM
Post #233

Bully for you

QUOTE (bigfatrich @ Apr 4 2007, 08:44 PM)
I read this as I was inspired by my brother who was doing a PhD on American detective fiction. From this, I got a bit of a love for the genre. It's something in the attitude which comes across in the style of the writing and the attitude of the characters.

From this, I've gone on to absolutely bum Jame Ellroy - the man's a genius. I'm currently reading Moon Palace by Paul Auster. He's another of my favourites as he apperas to be such a thoughtful, poetic writer. I love the way he messes, plays with and changes memory through different viewpoints and his use of language.

QUOTE (Ghost_862 @ Apr 4 2007, 09:18 PM)
I'm a big fan of film noir and have similarly been intending for a while on reading a few of the original books, especially Raymond Chandler's. However, I have a big stack of books already waiting to be read. I might buy one or two to read on holiday.

I've gone even further back into the history of detective fiction now and have started reading some Sherlock Holmes stories after picking up ''The Adventures of...'' for 2. I'm pretty sure it's a collection of the entire first lot of Holmes stories, up until his 'death', though I'm not certain.

This post has been edited by maian: Apr 4 2007, 08:47 PM

+Quote Post
Ghost_862
post Apr 4 2007, 08:57 PM
Post #234

Daddy Cool

Member No.: 2,633

If you check out The Works or The Book People then up until recently they were doing a boxset of ten Sherlock Holmes novels for about 8.

This post has been edited by Ghost_862: Apr 4 2007, 09:02 PM

+Quote Post
maian
post Apr 4 2007, 08:59 PM
Post #235

Bully for you

Now that is a very good deal. May pick one up after the loan comes in and when I'm next near The Works in Sheffield.

Curses, if only this deal had been on last year (or I had known about it) it would have only taken me 2 minutes to walk there from my old house. Now I'll have to walk slightly further.

This post has been edited by maian: Apr 4 2007, 09:02 PM

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Apr 4 2007, 09:36 PM
Post #236

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,309

Apparently the top twenty hardbacks are half price in WH Smith.

Woot.

+Quote Post
tigerlily
post Apr 4 2007, 10:01 PM
Post #237

Boop boop e doo!

Member No.: 2,571

Similarly, Borders are offering a discount over the Easter weekend.

The voucher be here

Wish I'd known about all this cheapness before I went out a bought a load of books yesterday. Bah.

This post has been edited by tigerlily: Apr 4 2007, 10:03 PM

+Quote Post
Raven
post Apr 4 2007, 10:17 PM
Post #238

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

I'm reading the novel of Sideways at the moment (the film was based on the book, not the other way around).

It's followed the film very closely for the most part (or should that be the other way around?), but it does give some insights the film doesn't, and - like the film - it is still hugely entertaining.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Apr 6 2007, 05:08 PM
Post #239

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

Soho Black - Christopher Fowler
Another slice of strangeness about the living dead, narcotics and magic spunk set around the Soho film community. What I really like about Fowler's novels, other that the good stories, is that he is so knowledgeable about London and its history that his novels are always filled with interesting nuggets of information about the city.

Pies & Prujudice - Stuart Maconie
Northerner in exile Maconie goes in search of "The North". An excellent, funny and educational travel book about the North of England, its people, history and rivalries. Great stuff.

+Quote Post
Douglas Nicol
post Apr 6 2007, 09:40 PM
Post #240

Four Pinter

Member No.: 2,843

I'm reading Soul of the Fire, the fifth book of the Terry Goodkind series "Sword of Truth", for some reason there's seems to be a lot of dislike for this series, but I don't mind it. It's certainly not as ponderous as Wheel of Time where I couldn't even be bothered to finish the first book.

+Quote Post

158 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 18 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 07:28 AM