> Books 2nd Edition, Foreword by m0r1arty
Serafina_Pekkala
post Jan 9 2012, 10:30 PM
Post #2251

Money ...

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,511

QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Jan 7 2012, 08:43 PM) *
Finished The Camomile Lawn this morning, half joyful having read it, half sad that it's ended and mainly frustrated that I will never write anything as good as it. It's almost perfect as literary works go; clips along at an amazing pace and doesn't spoon feed you information, just let's things happen and goes 'well, you do with that as you wish'. More Mary Wesley to go as well, I got seven of her books for Christmas!

Mary Wesley is a superb writer. You will not be disappointed. I loved the Sixth Seal as a kid.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Julie
post Jan 10 2012, 05:24 AM
Post #2252

Hot Lips.

Member No.: 3,352

You guys might enjoy this.

+Quote Post
PrincessKate
post Jan 10 2012, 07:45 AM
Post #2253

Smut by the Sea

Member No.: 2,387

QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Jan 9 2012, 10:30 PM) *
Mary Wesley is a superb writer. You will not be disappointed. I loved the Sixth Seal as a kid.

She is, I really loved how matter of fact everything is, like listening in on actual conversations and not having to wade through six pages of dense text to the next development. This is how I want to write, not quite cracked it yet. I think I'll take Not that Sort of Girl to work today.

I also have some Isherwood after all the Wesley, very much looking forward to Goodbye to Berlin.

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Jan 10 2012, 09:41 AM
Post #2254

Money ...

Member No.: 2,511

QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Jan 10 2012, 07:45 AM) *
She is, I really loved how matter of fact everything is, like listening in on actual conversations and not having to wade through six pages of dense text to the next development. This is how I want to write, not quite cracked it yet. I think I'll take Not that Sort of Girl to work today.

Yes - she has a skill for dialogue that is as good as Muriel Spark and Beryl Bainbridge although not as obviously comic. But sometimes very funny. I always wanted a camomile lawn too.

The TV series stays in my mind forever as Toby Stephens posh swearing. This is probably the source of my love for him.

I also have some Isherwood after all the Wesley, very much looking forward to Goodbye to Berlin.

He is okay - some great characters and moments of panache - but I think he is sometimes ... well ... maudlin verging on dull. Sacrilege though that may be. He lived through and interesting time and I think that carried a lot of his work along.

+Quote Post
Shack
post Jan 11 2012, 10:04 PM
Post #2255

Live And Let Pie

Member No.: 3,441

Am reading through my first Christopher Brookmyre (Pandaemonium) and I have to say, after a slow start, it's awesome.

More please.

+Quote Post
Silky
post Jan 11 2012, 10:11 PM
Post #2256

Coin Operated Boy

Member No.: 4,112

Finished the Hobbit.
Now onto one of my recent Amazon purchases. Jurassic Park.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jan 11 2012, 11:29 PM
Post #2257

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

^ 'tis better than the film.

+Quote Post
Silky
post Jan 12 2012, 08:54 AM
Post #2258

Coin Operated Boy

Member No.: 4,112

I've read it before, many many years ago.

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Jan 12 2012, 05:12 PM
Post #2259

OMNOMNOM

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 3,076

Finished a free collection of Sherlock Holmes stories on my Kindle - it's great to read the originals and see how clever they really are. One of them was 'A Scandal in Bohemia' which was the basis of 'A Scandal in Belgravia' - Gatiss/Moffat do a great job at taking what is quite a short story and extending the ideas into a full-length drama. Definitely going to read more.

Am now a few chapters into 'A Game of Thrones' which Luke got me for Christmas. I can already tell I'm going to get hooked.

+Quote Post
sweetbutinsane
post Jan 12 2012, 10:15 PM
Post #2260

Be careful what you fish for

Member No.: 3,331

QUOTE (widowspider @ Jan 12 2012, 05:12 PM) *
Finished a free collection of Sherlock Holmes stories on my Kindle - it's great to read the originals and see how clever they really are. One of them was 'A Scandal in Bohemia' which was the basis of 'A Scandal in Belgravia' - Gatiss/Moffat do a great job at taking what is quite a short story and extending the ideas into a full-length drama. Definitely going to read more.

I keep meaning to buy a complete collection as I've only read about a half of the short stories and none of the novels.

The Adventure of the Speckled Band is one of the first ones I read and it has been my favourite ever since.

+Quote Post
PrincessKate
post Jan 12 2012, 10:20 PM
Post #2261

Smut by the Sea

Member No.: 2,387

QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Jan 10 2012, 09:41 AM) *
Yes - she has a skill for dialogue that is as good as Muriel Spark and Beryl Bainbridge although not as obviously comic. But sometimes very funny. I always wanted a camomile lawn too.

The TV series stays in my mind forever as Toby Stephens posh swearing. This is probably the source of my love for him.

Picked up The Vacillations of Poppy Carew by mistake, so getting on with that. TV series is the sexiest thing ever broadcast on British TV. Just seeing Stephens in his dress greens gives me stirrings.

QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Jan 10 2012, 09:41 AM) *
He is okay - some great characters and moments of panache - but I think he is sometimes ... well ... maudlin verging on dull. Sacrilege though that may be. He lived through and interesting time and I think that carried a lot of his work along.

Noted, I do love Cabaret though, and feel I ought to read the source material. Christopher and his Kind was such a let down, Matt Smith bottom-ing and all. I shall listen to Ute Lemper and nibble some bratwurst as I read.

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Jan 14 2012, 04:51 PM
Post #2262

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

SF Nerds! Two for you to enjoy:

Peter F Hamilton's "Manhattan In Reverse", a short story collection available now, and "Blue Remembered Earth", the beginning of a new trilogy by Alastair Reynolds, out this week.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jan 14 2012, 04:57 PM
Post #2263

Space Cowboy

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jan 14 2012, 04:51 PM) *
Peter F Hamilton's "Manhattan In Reverse", a short story collection available now...

Hamilton can write short stories?!

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Jan 18 2012, 04:17 PM
Post #2264

OMNOMNOM

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 3,076

Absolutely steamed through A Game Of Thrones and am now making short work of A Clash of Kings. Bloody hell, these books are good. Am now dying to see the HBO series.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Feb 4 2012, 12:02 PM
Post #2265

Space Cowboy

Started reading at around seven last night, finished at about two. Seem to have forgotten to eat along the way. Not done that for a long while.

+Quote Post

158 Pages V  « < 149 150 151 152 153 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 04:30 AM