> Books 2nd Edition, Foreword by m0r1arty
mcraigclark
post Jun 12 2007, 12:59 AM
Post #361

I'm a poncey thrush.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 5,057

QUOTE (Julie @ Jun 11 2007, 05:21 PM)
I just finished The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde.  Thanks muchly to Craig, Rachel and Ade for the recommendation.  I heartily enjoyed it.  It had everything I love in a book!  It was funny, clever, well-written, interesting plots without being ridiculous, likeable characters and well-paced.  I've just started Lost in a Good Book and I'm looking forward to more of the same.

Yay! Ade and Ed are right, too. The books get better.

QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Jun 11 2007, 05:29 PM)
^ Next on my list after I finish A Dirty Job, which is absolutely marvelous so far.  I cracked up repeatedly last night...

Yay! Everyone should read Christopher Moore. His books are amazing.

I'm re-reading The Golden Compass now.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Jun 12 2007, 04:58 PM
Post #362

OMNOMNOM

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 3,076

I'm most of the way through god Is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens. He has the potential for some excellent insight and critique of the flaws of religion, based on a superb knowledge of sacred texts, but sometimes he can stray into what I'd define as 'Michael Moore' territory - a little too much satire and taking jabs at religion and the religious when his textual critique, supported by historical facts, is more than enough to show up the fallacies of the three major world monotheist religions, in particular. However, it was clearly intended to be a commentary book and he is certainly very funny. I waver between head-nodding at some of it and not neccessarily agreeing with other parts.

Absorbing read.

+Quote Post
Riot Boy
post Jun 19 2007, 05:07 PM
Post #363

One Pinter

Member No.: 6,380

Couldn't find anything along these lines. But then I didn't look very hard to be truthful.

So what are you reading at the moment? Why did you pick it up? How are you finding it thus far?

I'm currently reading "The Devil's Knot: The True Story Of The West Memphis Three" by Mara Leveritt. I've been after this for awhile, because the case has interested me in a long time. Mainly thanks to the Paradise Lost documentaries and awareness of it brought up by elements of the Rock genre.

I'm roughly a third through it and although I'm engrossed in it, I can't say that I'm enjoying reading this book, given it's dark and horrific subject. The reason for the book's being is a triple homicide of three 8 year old boys from a small, sleepy town in Arkansas. The boys were beaten senseless and mutilated. With the crime scene meticulously cleaned of any concrete evidence, the local police department are pressurised into resolving this case as soon as possible. But straight away, they ignore all other possibilities and go with the idea that the murder is cult related (By Satanists). While there was no evidence whatsoever to prove this, the God fearing locals all believe it to be the most likely. All they need is someone or some people to fit the part. Three teenage boys unwillingly oblige. Why? Because they dye their hair black. Listen to Metallica, Pink Floyd and U2. One of them has a book on White Witchcraft etc.

The book manages (and does it very well) to stay objectional. There are times when you are "What the fuck?!" and you can't believe that a bastard offspring of the Salem Witch Trials was allowed to happen in our time, right in the heart of the United States. But then there are times when you think "Well maybe.." But at this stage of the book, it's hard to say which way I will feel about the outcome.

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Jun 19 2007, 05:09 PM
Post #364

OMNOMNOM

Merged with original 'Books' thread.

Look harder next time, Riot Boy! wink.gif

+Quote Post
sweetbutinsane
post Jun 19 2007, 06:43 PM
Post #365

Be careful what you fish for

Member No.: 3,331

Just finished The Horse and His Boy today (read the whole lot, bar the first chapter, this afternoon). Now onto Prince Caspian! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jun 19 2007, 07:54 PM
Post #366

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

I've just finished re-reading The Kraken Wakes for the umteenth time.

Although it is a bit rushed towards the end, the initial build up still makes the hair stand up on the back of the neck. Wyndham was very good at that . . .

+Quote Post
PrincessKate
post Jun 19 2007, 08:06 PM
Post #367

Smut by the Sea

Member No.: 2,387

A couple of weeks ago I read Tracy Quan's Diary of a Manhattan Callgirl, which, after Belle de Jour's Diary of a London Callgirl was a letdown. That its a fictional diary probably detracts from its power, added to which the central character, Nancy is generally unlikeable - the only people given rounded, likeable personalities are those we rarely see - The Brothel Madam, and clients. Almost bar none the mentioned hookers are all vile in their own ways.
Nancy's backstory Her decision to become a prostitute at ten, sexually active at thirteen with no emotional attachment to her partners and hooking soon after seemed ridiculously controlled and far too clinical for me - I usually can't bear it if characters detach themselves fully from situations, it seems unnatural most of the time.
I wouldn't really reccommend it - read Belle de Jour, seeing as she actually knows what she's talking about.

+Quote Post
Ade
post Jun 19 2007, 10:41 PM
Post #368

Ade Flanders

From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

I bought another three books to add to the ever-growing pile of 'still haven't read' titles. I'm such a sucker for Waterstones' 3-for-2 offers.

Raymond E. Feist - 'Flight Of The Nighthawks' (that's now seven Feist titles to get through)
John Connolly - 'The Book Of Lost Things'
Stephen King - 'Cell'

Other than taking the sleeve plaudits at face value, I have absolutely no idea if any of these are truly any good (apart from Feist, who is one of my fave fantasy fiction authors). Anybody here read either of the other two?

This post has been edited by Ade: Jun 19 2007, 10:42 PM

+Quote Post
mcraigclark
post Jun 20 2007, 07:05 AM
Post #369

I'm a poncey thrush.

QUOTE (Ade @ Jun 19 2007, 06:41 PM)
John Connolly - 'The Book Of Lost Things'

I read this and really liked it. As a Fforde ffan, I bet you will too. It's got some of the same referential elements, but it's much darker.

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Jun 20 2007, 03:30 PM
Post #370

OMNOMNOM

Oooh, sounds good. I shall look into that one.

I finished god Is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens - a very engaging and thought-provoking read for anyone who is interested in the changing attitudes towards religion. I didn't agree with all of his views, but he is a well-read and well-researched writer and puts his ideas forward in a way that makes them accessible.

I then ploughed through A Brief History of the Dead that Craig sent me - I really loved the overall concept of this novel. It's about how the people who have died don't go on to a true afterlife until everyone who remembered them in the living world has also died. Nice interweaving of multiple characters and a subtley near-future setting were plus points for me, although I wasn't hugely into the ending - I felt he dragged out Laura's death too much.

Am now reading Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie.

+Quote Post
Julie
post Jun 20 2007, 03:33 PM
Post #371

Hot Lips.

Member No.: 3,352

QUOTE (widowspider @ Jun 20 2007, 10:30 AM)
I then ploughed through A Brief History of the Dead that Craig sent me - I really loved the overall concept of this novel. It's about how the people who have died don't go on to a true afterlife until everyone who remembered them in the living world has also died. Nice interweaving of multiple characters and a subtley near-future setting were plus points for me, although I wasn't hugely into the ending - I felt he dragged out Laura's death too much.

This is next on my list, as a result of Craig's recommendation. It's not going to make me cry or anything, is it?

+Quote Post
mcraigclark
post Jun 20 2007, 03:36 PM
Post #372

I'm a poncey thrush.

QUOTE (widowspider @ Jun 20 2007, 11:30 AM)
I felt he dragged out Laura's death too much.

This was my complaint too. "Following some marbles...flip, flip, flip...still following some marbles"

Glad you like it though!

+Quote Post
Riot Boy
post Jun 20 2007, 07:31 PM
Post #373

One Pinter

Member No.: 6,380

QUOTE (widowspider @ Jun 19 2007, 06:09 PM)
Merged with original 'Books' thread.

Look harder next time, Riot Boy! wink.gif

Well, would you look at that... biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
sweetbutinsane
post Jun 20 2007, 08:13 PM
Post #374

Be careful what you fish for

Member No.: 3,331

Had a bit of a reading spree this afternoon. Finished Prince Caspian and have almost finished The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, which is my favourite of the series so far. It has a ship. And pirates. And rum. What did you expect? wink.gif

Edited for spelling reading as "reeding". wacko.gif

This post has been edited by sweetbutinsane: Jun 20 2007, 08:14 PM

+Quote Post
Celticstar
post Jun 20 2007, 08:16 PM
Post #375

I'm not a mind reader

Member No.: 3,362

QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ Jun 20 2007, 08:13 PM)
Had a bit of a reading spree this afternoon. Finished Prince Caspian and have almost finished The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, which is my favourite of the series so far. It has a ship. And pirates. And rum. What did you expect? wink.gif

Edited for spelling reading as "reeding". wacko.gif

aw you've just brought back childhood memories i used to love those books

+Quote Post

158 Pages V  « < 23 24 25 26 27 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 10:38 PM