Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Books 2nd Edition, Foreword by m0r1arty
GundamGuy_UK
post Sep 6 2007, 05:31 PM
Post #586

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,725

I had a few hours in town to kill before meeting my friends, so I bought The Colour of Magic to see what all this Discworld fuss is about.

It's pretty entertaining, so far.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maian
post Sep 6 2007, 05:50 PM
Post #587

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

QUOTE (mcraigclark @ Sep 6 2007, 05:35 PM)
Read Cod by Mark Kurlansky.  It's excellent.

Will do. Though my ''to read'' pile is now 80 books high, so it will be a while.

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Sep 6 2007, 06:31 PM)
I had a few hours in town to kill before meeting my friends, so I bought The Colour of Magic to see what all this Discworld fuss is about.

It's pretty entertaining, so far.

It's the weakest book of the series as well. I recommend you check out Guards! Guards! next, the first book in the ''Night Watch'' series of the books.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Sep 6 2007, 05:55 PM
Post #588

Well I'm going to finish off the Rincewind ones first probably, seeing as that's what I've started. I found a handy flow diagram showing the relationships of all the books to each-other, so I know where to go for each.

That's one of the reasons I hadn't read them before now; there are 30-odd books and I had no idea where to begin (I wasn't aware that Colour of Magic had "The First Discworld Book" written on it).

+Quote Post
Jubei
post Sep 7 2007, 07:19 AM
Post #589

Meow

Member No.: 2,416

I haven't read Pratchett for years then a few months ago I was lent Strata and recently bought and read The Truth, as there was nothing else in WHSmiths poor selection. I enjoyed them both, Strata more probably because I'd just read ringworld, but it was amazing how quickly names came back, Foul Ol' Ron, Cut Me Own Throat Dibbler, Captain Carrot, Commander Vimes, Sergeant Angua, The Patrician. Like family i hadn't spoken to for years, but kinda knew I'd get in touch with eventually.
ETA: Do you mean this flow chart.

This post has been edited by Jubei: Sep 7 2007, 07:23 AM

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Sep 7 2007, 10:22 AM
Post #590

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

I'm reading 'The Dreaming Void' for real now.

150 pages in, and I was vaguely irritated at the typical Hamilton plodding, but intrigued at the multiple plot lines. I was struggling to engage with Edeard's world - for some reason PFH insists on including backwards pastroral idyll But this morning, things took a more interesting turn, and stuff started happening. If only he didn't take so long, his books would be crazy good.

+Quote Post
Jubei
post Sep 7 2007, 11:21 AM
Post #591

Meow

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Sep 7 2007, 11:22 AM)

150 pages in, and I was vaguely irritated at the typical Hamilton plodding, but intrigued at the multiple plot lines. I was struggling to engage with Edeard's world - for some reason PFH insists on including backwards pastroral idyll  But this morning, things took a more interesting turn, and stuff started happening. If only he didn't take so long, his books would be crazy good.

It wasn't until literally the last two pages of the book that I took any interest in Edeards world, and that was so obvious it was abrely worth me reading them. I find myself almost quick reading through the 'Void' sections to get back to the meat of the story, even though those sections are what most of the situations going on are caused by. That isn't a spoiler.

+Quote Post
ipse dixit
post Sep 7 2007, 12:29 PM
Post #592

Fallon

Member No.: 2,946

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Sep 7 2007, 10:22 AM)
Does that mean I get World War Z now? Cooly. I'm about 90 pages into The Steep Approach to Garbadale, but I'll take a break for Z so you can have it back sooner, Andy.

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Sep 7 2007, 01:14 PM
Post #593

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Sep 7 2007, 01:29 PM)
Does that mean I get World War Z now? Cooly. I'm about 90 pages into The Steep Approach to Garbadale, but I'll take a break for Z so you can have it back sooner, Andy.

Yes, you can borrow that as of tomorrow. It is Andi at work BTW, not Jubes...

+Quote Post
ipse dixit
post Sep 7 2007, 04:10 PM
Post #594

Fallon

Member No.: 2,946

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Sep 7 2007, 01:14 PM)
Yes, you can borrow that as of tomorrow. It is Andi at work BTW, not Jubes...
Oh, ok. Good thing you cleared that up, or I'd've been posting it to Exeter.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Sep 7 2007, 04:30 PM
Post #595

QUOTE (Jubei @ Sep 7 2007, 08:19 AM)
ETA: Do you mean this flow chart.

Pretty much. I have a different one, but it's the same order.

+Quote Post
maian
post Sep 10 2007, 01:03 PM
Post #596

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

Finished Only Forward last night. A really wonderful sci-fi story that created a wonderfully strange world and which was superbly narrated by the main character. The second half of the book after the characters started going into Jeamland got increasingly dark and the final hundred pages were actually quite horrific, something which I wouldn't have expected given the reasonably light tone of the first half. I don't know why but I also found the ending surprisingly touching and sad.

All in all, a terrific book that came as a real surprise to me.

Now I'm onto I Am Legend by Richard Matheson.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Sep 10 2007, 01:34 PM
Post #597

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE (maian @ Sep 6 2007, 06:50 PM)
It's the weakest book of the series as well. I recommend you check out Guards! Guards! next, the first book in the ''Night Watch'' series of the books.

Of his early work, I always thought Equal Rites, Mort and Wyrd Sisters were very good (Sorcery and Pyramids were a bit meh though), but as you say, Guards! Guards! is very good indeed!

I really should read some of them again.

QUOTE (maian @ Sep 10 2007, 02:03 PM)
Now I'm onto I Am Legend by Richard Matheson.

A very good book indeed!

I'm wondering how faithful the Will Smith film is going to be . . .

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Sep 11 2007, 01:35 PM
Post #598

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

Atonement by Ian McEwan
I have in the past been a bit reluctant to read books that are Booker nominees/winners - I always thought they would be a hard slog, focussing more on prose than story, and only in recent years have I got over my "prejudice" leaving me with a whole stack of titles I should catch up on. I admit the release of the film of Atonement prompted me to read the novel and I'm glad I did.
Can't really give too much away except it is a rather brilliant and compelling story of 3 people, a lie (is that on the poster?) and its repercussions. Oh, and one hell of a revelation at the end. A revelation that by a lesser writer may have left the reader feeling a little cheated, but here makes the story all the more heartbreaking.

+Quote Post
Jubei
post Sep 11 2007, 02:06 PM
Post #599

Meow

The Sanctuary Seeker by Bernard Knight. A not-too-bad medievial murder mystery, of particular interest because it's set in Exeter in 1194 complete with local landmarks and places. Interesting to get a feel for what the city was like in a storytelling sense rather than a history text. The Protagonist, Coroner Sir John De Wolfe is a fictional character but based in historical truth when the post of Coroner - or Crowner - was first instituted by Richard Lionheart. So far an interesting fiction woven round with historical fact all the more exciting as I can say 'St Sidwells, that's where Sidwell street is now...' etc. Only slightly let down by some clunky sex scenes...

(avert your eyes younger readers)

In spite of his lethargy, Crowner John roused himself sufficiently to give a creditable performance in the arms of his agile mistress before he rolled over and fell sound asleep for the rest of the night.

and

Nesta climbed on top of him and rode him as energetically as he cantered his grey stallion. When they had first become lovers, her fondness for straddling him had rather offended his masculine need to be dominant. However, she had broken him of the habits of a lifetime with good-humoured persistence until he had come to enjoy it - though often with a roar of passion he would roll the pair of them over and hammer her almost through the palliasse and into the floorboards beneath.

Gets one rather hot under the collar.

This post has been edited by Jubei: Sep 11 2007, 02:07 PM

+Quote Post
tigerlily
post Sep 11 2007, 06:16 PM
Post #600

Boop boop e doo!

Member No.: 2,571

Just finished The Diary of Anne Frank which I really quite enjoyed. I'd have probably hated it if I had to study it at school though.

Now I'm onto re-reading Lord of the Flies. I have to read all the books that my 5th year are choosing for their Personal Studies. It's only now I realise how much I lack knowledge in suitable literary books for teenagers. Luckily I'm foisting short stories on a few of them so that should save my weary eyes.

+Quote Post

158 Pages V  « < 38 39 40 41 42 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 04:13 AM