Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Books 2nd Edition, Foreword by m0r1arty
rebelstar
post Oct 2 2007, 10:03 AM
Post #646

'ullo!

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 6,134

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Oct 1 2007, 08:10 PM)
I finished TDV last week. You are right about the comma-abuse. There were tons of typos too. It's a much more engrossing tale than the bloated meandering of the Commonwealth Saga. The action sequences (mostly concerning Aaron) rivalled anything in the Night's Dawn trilogy.

After a slow start, even Edeard's world became just as interesting as that of the far future outside the Void.

Any thoughts on who Aaron is, you guys? Net speculation says Morton, but his dreams seemed to point towards a former life as a Knights Guardian on Far Away...

Finished it yesterday - the book was great, but the typos were annoying. I hadn't thought about who Aaron might be and that's going to annoy me now. Morton might be a good call, actually.

Now I have to find something shortish to read while I wait for Play to deliver my copy of the new Coupland.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mrs Bisley
post Oct 2 2007, 09:08 PM
Post #647

Rov'rum

Member No.: 4,384

I know it's not Chaucer or Dickens, but, if I continue to read Richard and Mindy Hammond's book 'Richard Hammond - On The Edge: My Story', my eyes will dry up and I will die of dehydration.

It is an amazing book and 'The Hamster' skips over 'that crash' quite briefly, after an extremely tense build up, so as to give you as much of an insight into the actual crash as he has.

The book really steps up a gear in chapter 7, when 'the Hamster's' lovely wife Mindy takes over. Never have I cried so much in the first couple of pages of a chapter ever, and I doubt I ever will.

She starts off her first chapter talking about how happy she is with her family, her new horse and her life in general and then it just happens. She's off to Richard. She tells her journey to her husband's side quite erratically, yet at the same time very structered and gripping.

I'm only on chapter 13 and 'the Hamster's' back at the helm, clearly quite disoriented and unable to remember what happened in the weeks or so after 'the crash'. Already, he is talking about being able to hear his wife shouting at him while he was in a coma and being moved to Bristol in an air ambulance.

So far, this book is astonishing. It's both heart-warming and -breaking, whilst being a story of true love, which would usually repulse me, but it is so amazing and gripping and true that you can't help but lose yourself in it.

Now that Stephen Fry's finished on BBC2, I'm going to finish it so I can start on Jeremy Clarkson's new book, Don't Stop Me Now.

+Quote Post
Crutch
post Oct 3 2007, 03:31 PM
Post #648

No more smiling.

Member No.: 4,601

I've read the first 70 pages of Darkly Dreaming Dexter. It's a fantastic read. I haven't read thrillers since my teenie Stephen King reading days. And I'm surprised over the really well-crafted ad sharp language that's used. Lindsey's really more than what I expected from a seriel-killer-thriller-author. And I think, the show adepted the book really well, especially the casting fits what I read so far.

+Quote Post
Kimmerv2
post Oct 4 2007, 02:44 AM
Post #649

One Pinter

Member No.: 6,491

Just finished Cook's Tour: Global Adventures in Extreme Cuisines by Anthony Bourdain.

I thoroughly enjoyed it . . and now am dying to go to some of the places he's been to and just eat my way through the days and nights . .

biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Oct 4 2007, 02:55 AM
Post #650

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

Just put in a pre-order for Kevin Smith's My Boring-Ass Life. I don't expect it'll be selling out when it comes out on the 10th, but I can't be bothered walking into town just to get it, and I would like it on release day (as it was supposed to be out a month ago nearly).

It's going to be my "quick 5-minute glance between lectures" book, because it's essentially just diary and blog entries, so it should have lots of little short sections I'd imagine.

Ordered a few more Discworld books too, for when I get round to finishing The Light Fantastic

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Oct 4 2007, 08:46 AM
Post #651

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

QUOTE (rebelstar @ Oct 2 2007, 11:03 AM)
I hadn't thought about who Aaron might be and that's going to annoy me now. Morton might be a good call, actually.

I'm reading 'The Reality Dysfunction' again. His unnecessary detail grates occasionally, but the opening few chapters are storming. I'm looking forward to everything that comes later!

+Quote Post
Jubei
post Oct 4 2007, 08:55 AM
Post #652

Meow

Member No.: 2,416

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Oct 4 2007, 09:46 AM)
I'm reading 'The Reality Dysfunction' again. His unnecessary detail grates occasionally, but the opening few chapters are storming. I'm looking forward to everything that comes later!

I reckon it's going to be at least another year before I can do them again. All opens up with a beautifully described space ambush if I remeber rightly. Immediately brings voidhawks, blackhawks, adamist ships and combat wasps into the equation. I love how something like the combat wasp has such a major 'role' in the books, when they're essentially just an advanced missile. The way they're described both technically, but also the imagery of clowds of wasps closing on each other, desperately sending out their countermeasures, slagging each other, then the final couple bursting through to close on their target, with whatever warhead still unknown.

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Oct 4 2007, 09:03 AM
Post #653

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

QUOTE (Jubei @ Oct 4 2007, 09:55 AM)
I reckon it's going to be at least another year before I can do them again.  All opens up with a beautifully described space ambush if I remeber rightly.  Immediately brings voidhawks, blackhawks, adamist ships and combat wasps into the equation.  I love how something like the combat wasp has such a major 'role' in the books, when they're essentially just an advanced missile. The way they're described both technically, but also the imagery of clowds of wasps closing on each other, desperately sending out their countermeasures, slagging each other, then the final couple bursting through to close on their target, with whatever warhead still unknown.

Ah, I haven't read the Night's Dawn books since the first time, 5 or 6 years ago. But yeah, there is the ambush, but that is quickly followed by introducing Joshua, the Ly-cilph creatures, Syrinx and the Edenists, etc. And all with beautiful writing, which for me, the Commonwealth Saga was missing.

+Quote Post
feckless_dykey_p...
post Oct 4 2007, 09:05 AM
Post #654

South London to Kent. Oh yes.

Member No.: 4,064

I recently finished The Year The Gypsies Came, which made me cry.

I got Slam by Nick Hornby last night so I'm now reading that. It's okay so far, I've only read a few chapters.

This post has been edited by feckless_dykey_prostitute: Oct 4 2007, 09:05 AM

+Quote Post
Julie
post Oct 8 2007, 09:42 PM
Post #655

Hot Lips.

Member No.: 3,352

Oh, THANK GOD YES.

+Quote Post
rebelstar
post Oct 9 2007, 09:58 AM
Post #656

'ullo!

Member No.: 6,134

QUOTE (Julie @ Oct 8 2007, 10:42 PM)

I ordered my copy from Play at the start of last week, and I still don't have it - damn postal strike.

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Oct 9 2007, 11:23 AM
Post #657

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Oct 1 2007, 08:10 PM)
Any thoughts on who Aaron is, you guys? Net speculation says Morton, but his dreams seemed to point towards a former life as a Knights Guardian on Far Away...

My guess- a relifed and Tarlo after he had his Starflyer conditioning removed. No idea why I think that, I just reckon it's about right for Hamilton's style.

+Quote Post
Jubei
post Oct 9 2007, 11:31 AM
Post #658

Meow

Member No.: 2,416

QUOTE (NiteFall @ Oct 9 2007, 12:23 PM)
My guess- a relifed and Tarlo after he had his Starflyer conditioning removed. No idea why I think that, I just reckon it's about right for Hamilton's style.

Ooh, I think that could be more likely. What better reason to want your memory scrubbed than having been a puppet of an alien and forced to betray your species? If not Tarlo then another ex-StarFlyer agent. I'm also interested in what part LionWalker will play. Has his deal ever been explained? He was lurking around and let Dudley use his telescope to record the envelopment. And he just happened to be head of the Void expansion research station thingummy when the first Dreamer was there. Suspicious.

+Quote Post
maian
post Oct 9 2007, 12:13 PM
Post #659

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

QUOTE (Julie @ Oct 8 2007, 10:42 PM)

My thoughts before clicking this link were ''either it's a new Douglas Coupland book or Jack Bauer: My Story''.

+Quote Post
Julie
post Oct 9 2007, 01:20 PM
Post #660

Hot Lips.

Member No.: 3,352

QUOTE (maian @ Oct 9 2007, 08:13 AM)
My thoughts before clicking this link were ''either it's a new Douglas Coupland book or Jack Bauer: My Story''.

You know me so well, Ed.

+Quote Post

158 Pages V  « < 42 43 44 45 46 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 06:25 PM