Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Books 2nd Edition, Foreword by m0r1arty
maian
post Jan 8 2008, 09:40 PM
Post #811

Bully for you

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,498

QUOTE (widowspider @ Jan 8 2008, 09:37 PM)
I'm now reading 'The Tenderness of Wolves' by Stef Penney and it's really engrossing. I spent 3 hours reading about two thirds of it last night instead of getting to sleep early. A great frontier novel set in the north Canadian wilderness in the 1880s.

That's on my 'to read' list. A lecturer used it as an example of how a book which has been written by someone who has never visited Canada but has been heavily researched can be as valid an account, if not more valid, than a book written by someone who has actually visited Canada.

This post has been edited by maian: Jan 8 2008, 09:41 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Jan 8 2008, 10:09 PM
Post #812

OMNOMNOM

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 3,076

QUOTE (maian @ Jan 8 2008, 09:40 PM)
That's on my 'to read' list. A lecturer used it as an example of how a book which has been written by someone who has never visited Canada but has been heavily researched can be as valid an account, if not more valid, than a book written by someone who has actually visited Canada.

It's really great writing - it switches from first person narrator, telling her personal part of the story, to third person narrative to fill in the other bits of the story - sounds like it shouldn't work, but somehow it does.

+Quote Post
Jubei
post Jan 9 2008, 08:52 AM
Post #813

Meow

Member No.: 2,416

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Nov 30 2006, 04:03 PM)
Eye [Galactic North] no longer and grab a piece. Seven of the eight stories are fabulous, and easily up there with the best of Reynolds's stuff. Only one is slightly weak, and that is one of his earliest published stories. He has to be the most consistent SF writer I know which is quite a feat given his high work-rate.

I have now read Galactic North. Only 14 months to act on that recommendation. It has to be one of the most engrossing short story collections I've read. Dilation Sleep was a bit poor (I assume that's what you're reffering to too) but he does explain that in the afterword. Great Wall of Mars and Glacial were both excellent. I think Weather was my favourite. I wanted the story to go on and on, what happened to Weather and Inigo? Did he become a conjoiner and go off with her? Did she feel the same about him? Did she even survive? Excellent.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jan 9 2008, 03:57 PM
Post #814

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

Starter for Ten

*Warning, contains spoilers!*

I read through the last two-hundred or so pages of this last night, and I have to say I don't think I've ever read another book, that I've initially enjoyed as much as this one, that I've been so dissatisfied with the resolution.

The book tells the story of 18 year old Brian Jackson's attempts to get onto University Challenge, and also into the knickers of his stunning team-mate Alice. Along the way he is either helped or hindered by his assorted friends and acquaintances, including student activist Rebecca, who sets the ground for a classic love triangle.

The first half of the book ticks over really well, and largely concerns Brian committing the type of excruciating social blunders and misunderstandings that viewers of Fawlty Towers or the Office would instantly recognise, but then the book – inexplicably - takes its foot off the comedy peddle and veers into a sort of maudlin melancholy that it never really recovers from.

The main thrust of the story is supposed to be about Brian realising that knowledge doesn't necessarily mean wisdom, and just when it looks as though he is getting this message, he cheats, lies and ultimately drops somebody else in it to get out of trouble, which effectively turns his character from someone who had been generally likeable, but who keeps getting the wrong end of the stick, into a bit of a wanker.

Coupled with this, and I think this is most frustrating part of the book, several of the plot lines are never really resolved satisfactorily (what did happened to Spencer to cause him to go off the rails during his A levels? Has Brian finally gotten over the death of his Dad? Why doesn’t Brian see Alice for what she really is? etc). Annoyingly, most of the explanation and wrap up is handled in a 'six months later' style epilogue that is only a few pages long.

Perhaps I missed the point, but the way the book rambles around at the end, I don't think that was difficult to do.

A rather disappointing 6/10, and most of that is for the genuinely funny first half of the book.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jan 9 2008, 08:21 PM
Post #815

Space Cowboy

Me want.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Jan 9 2008, 08:39 PM
Post #816

"Mus" à gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

Bowie, Bolan & The Brooklyn Boy by Tony Visconti
Initially I thought the only interesting parts of this autobiography would be about Visconti's production work with Bowie & Bolan (and perhaps Morrissey), but the whole thing was totally engrossing, especially his growing up in New York and his move to London in the 60's.

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Jan 9 2008, 08:42 PM
Post #817

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

QUOTE (Raven @ Jan 9 2008, 09:21 PM)

Me want.

When? When?

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jan 9 2008, 09:04 PM
Post #818

Space Cowboy

February 7th!

Synopsis:

In a world renowned even within a galaxy full of wonders, a crime within a war. For one brother it means a desperate flight, and a search for the one - maybe two - people who could clear his name. For his brother it means a life lived under constant threat of treachery and murder. And for their sister, even without knowing the full truth, it means returning to a place she d thought abandoned forever.

Only the sister is not what she once was; Djan Seriy Anaplian has changed almost beyond recognition to become an agent of the Culture s Special Circumstances section, charged with high-level interference in civilisations throughout the greater galaxy.

Concealing her new identity - and her particular set of abilities - might be a dangerous strategy, however. In the world to which Anaplian returns, nothing is quite as it seems; and determining the appropriate level of interference in someone else's war is never a simple matter.

Bank's read's a snippet!

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Jan 9 2008, 09:09 PM
Post #819

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

Oh thank god it's next month. I was scared that it was being released this month and I would have to endure seeing it on bookshops shelves while I quietly cursed my skintness.

+Quote Post
maian
post Jan 11 2008, 10:58 AM
Post #820

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

I finished Jane Eyre last night and it was very, very good. It's been a while since I've read a ''classic'' and I found it to be hugely enjoyable and terrifically paced.

I'm now starting on Girlfriend In A Coma by Douglas Coupland since I borrowed it from my sister absolutely ages ago and should probably actually read it at some point.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jan 11 2008, 11:33 AM
Post #821

Space Cowboy

The Stainless Steel Rat

Ticking off another sci-fi classic, I finally got around to reading this after picking up a second hand copy late last year. Very well written, with good characterisation, but the plotting seems a little rushed at the end.

I've heard a lot of fans of the series say they want to see a film of it, but I'm wondering how they would do that given the lead character changes his appearance completely during the course of the book (not just facial features, but build and posture as well).

Given how the book seems to be set up for a series, I'm surprised it took Harrison the best part of a decade to turn out the sequel, but it's something I now intend to track down.

+Quote Post
SkipToTheEnd
post Jan 11 2008, 11:54 AM
Post #822

Young Roberts could not face another moussaka

Member No.: 3,477

Ive gotta write an essay on theatrical moments in Shakespeare - good bits that are effective because of the medium of theatre or something... any tips? can come from any of the plays...

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jan 11 2008, 12:00 PM
Post #823

Space Cowboy

Predictable, but how about the balcony scene from Romeo and Juliet?

+Quote Post
Sir_Robin_the_br...
post Jan 11 2008, 12:12 PM
Post #824

Allow me to hold your face under the putrescent waters of knowle

Member No.: 3,662

Equally predictable, but the gravedigger scene in Hamlet is always a good choice.

Actually you're probably alright with most scenes in that play. Hamlet conversing with the ghost of his father for the first time is another good one.

+Quote Post
Chapman Baxter
post Jan 11 2008, 12:27 PM
Post #825

The sick product of a crazy society

Member No.: 2,263

What about Puck addressing the audience at the end of A Midsummer Night's Dream? Or the play-within-a-play in Hamlet?

+Quote Post

158 Pages V  « < 53 54 55 56 57 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 12:21 AM