maian
post Feb 21 2008, 05:50 PM
Post #916

Bully for you

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,498

QUOTE (Ade @ Feb 21 2008, 05:40 PM)
Oi wahnt thaaat.

I often struggle to keep my interest in biographies, but I desperately want to read this. I've adored his wacky stand-up material for years, and still listen to his comedy albums now.

I'm the same; unless the person's life is a cavalcade of hilarious anecdotes or unless they are a very engaging writer I tend to drift off and not pay attention. Fortunately, Martin's is both of those things and as such is very addictive. It's also not a ''biography'' as such as a book in which he discusses his craft, how he got into stand-up and how his style evolved through his interest in philosophy. It's also quite short and you never feel as if you've got a real slog ahead of you.

QUOTE (Ade @ Feb 21 2008, 05:40 PM)
Oi goht thaaat.

I bought it for the sole reason that it was one of Bill Hicks' favourite books, and (surprise, surprise) I've still to read it. It's a tremendous shame that the author killed himself after having tried without success to get it published. His mother later submitted it to a publisher and, well, it went on to sell pretty darn well, so I understand.

I really must get around to all these unread books of mine.

Whilst I was reading it I kind of wished I didn't know about its publication history since it made certain parts of the story seem much sadder than they were intended and made me wonder how much of the author was in the characters and their relationships. Of course, there's no way I could have ever read it without that knowledge since it was never published during his lifetime, but it does cast a pall over it. Still a wonderful book, though.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ade
post Feb 21 2008, 06:04 PM
Post #917

Ade Flanders

Group: Senior Moderators
From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

QUOTE (maian @ Feb 21 2008, 05:50 PM)
It's also not a ''biography'' as such as a book in which he discusses his craft, how he got into stand-up and how his style evolved through his interest in philosophy.

Yeah, I was already aware it was more of an analysis of his comedy than a bio, which is the primary reason I was interested in the book. I'm aware that Martin's writing style has been commended plenty by critics already, and I have yet to read my copy of Shopgirl, which needs to be remedied! Needless to say I shall be picking up a copy of Born Standing Up as soon as I can find it at a manageable price.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Feb 21 2008, 10:58 PM
Post #918

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

I finally finished reading Microserfs this evening - that's not a comment on the book, it's a comment on me being a very slow reader.

Very good - thank you Julie! I'm going to miss Bug, Todd, Abe, Dan, Micheal, Susan, Ethan and co.

Oh, and I'd really like to meet Karla - *sigh* tongue.gif

+Quote Post
mcraigclark
post Feb 22 2008, 01:43 AM
Post #919

I'm a poncey thrush.

Member No.: 5,057

QUOTE (Raven @ Feb 21 2008, 05:58 PM)
I finally finished reading Microserfs this evening - that's not a comment on the book, it's a comment on me being a very slow reader.

Very good - thank you Julie!  I'm going to miss Bug, Todd, Abe, Dan, Micheal, Susan, Ethan and co.

JPod next.

+Quote Post
Omniscia
post Feb 22 2008, 01:46 AM
Post #920

Candygram!

Member No.: 2,452

I haven't actually sat down and read a book cover-to-cover in over a year.

I've started many, but haven't finished any.

First up, I think, will be Al Franken's The Truth.

+Quote Post
Julie
post Feb 22 2008, 01:58 AM
Post #921

Hot Lips.

Member No.: 3,352

QUOTE (Raven @ Feb 21 2008, 05:58 PM)

Very good - thank you Julie!  I'm going to miss Bug, Todd, Abe, Dan, Micheal, Susan, Ethan and co.

My pleasure! I'm always happy to spread the Copeland love.

QUOTE (mcraigclark @ Feb 21 2008, 08:43 PM)
JPod next.

This is correct.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Feb 22 2008, 09:51 AM
Post #922

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE (Julie @ Feb 22 2008, 01:58 AM)
My pleasure! I'm always happy to spread the Copeland love.

Yep, you live - this time!

QUOTE (mcraigclark @ Feb 22 2008, 01:43 AM)
JPod next.

QUOTE (Julie)
This is correct.

I already have it, but I'm going to leave it for a bit before I read it - I have Matter and Slaughterhouse 5 to read first (I suspect that after that pairing something more down to earth will be a welcome change!).

+Quote Post
rebelstar
post Feb 22 2008, 11:12 AM
Post #923

'ullo!

Member No.: 6,134

QUOTE (Jubei @ Jan 23 2008, 03:41 PM)
Let me know what you think when you finish it.  I feel it gets lost in among his other bigger works but is actually a really good story.  I must read it again actually.

I enjoyed it - interesting, and it all came together really well. If I have any criticism it's that the ending was a little weak. I've also since read his Misspent Youth which is his weakest book by far, although it was still not bad. Back onto Alistair Reynolds now - almost finished Century Rain.

+Quote Post
sweetbutinsane
post Feb 22 2008, 04:36 PM
Post #924

Be careful what you fish for

Member No.: 3,331

Spent some of this morning and most of my time in the hairdressers reading Chris Wooding's Poison for what must be the twentieth time. I always forget how much I love that book until I read it again.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Feb 26 2008, 10:38 AM
Post #925

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Member No.: 2,740

APPLES - Richard Milward

The story of two young teens living in a Middlesborough council estate. Adam - a shy, Beatle obsessive with OCD, and Eve - a pill popping, party loving girl whose mum has been diagnosed with cancer. For the most part Adam and Eve narrate the story, but sometimes other characters get a turn, as well as a lampost and a butterfly! It reminded me a little of Trainspotting. Though why it was necessary to type a whole chapter backwards?
Quite a good little book about teen hedonism, unrequited love and trying to "fit in".

+Quote Post
maian
post Feb 27 2008, 07:40 PM
Post #926

Bully for you

This week I've been reading Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett, and bloody good it was too. A Byzantine plot full of double-crosses, shoot outs and femme fatales anchored by the narrator, a Continental Ops Detective brought to Personville (or Poisonville, as it is otherwise known), a corrupt pit of a city which, through a confluence of circumstances and injured pride, he ends up being given the task of cleaning up. Which he proceeds to do by turning all the various gangs against each other.

Considering how influential the book has been, not only on crime fiction but on popular culture as a whole with countless homages and rip-offs having appeared over the years, it was interesting to see the source and, when I wasn't getting slightly confused trying to remember who had actually committed what, it was really great fun. Sparse language, hard-boiled dialogue and a dizzying plot, it's just great.

This post has been edited by maian: Feb 27 2008, 07:41 PM

+Quote Post
rabbit57i
post Feb 27 2008, 08:24 PM
Post #927

Varga Girl

Member No.: 2,531

Just finished The League of Gentlemen's Book of Precious Things, a compilation of each of the gents favorite bits from books, play, movies, etc.

Entertaining little read. Their choices are definitely in keeping with what I would have expected of each of them.

+Quote Post
maian
post Mar 3 2008, 07:03 PM
Post #928

Bully for you

Spares by Michael Marshall Smith.

Wow. Just...wow. Such a vivid, disgusting, hilarious and electrifying imagination that man has. Had me gripped throughout and constantly had me guessing what was going to happen next.

I've recently been working my way through the first three seasons of Homicide: Life on The Streets and I've started reading David Simon's original novel/journalistic account Homicide: A Year On The Killing Streets. Apart from the fact I keep trying to guess which person in the book turned into which character in the series it's very readable and enjoyable so far.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Mar 4 2008, 10:26 AM
Post #929

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Member No.: 2,740

QUOTE (maian @ Mar 3 2008, 07:03 PM)
Spares by Michael Marshall Smith.

He may well be the only modern Science Fiction author I've read in the last decade or so. I can recommend all his books.

I think Spielberg bought the rights to, and intended to direct, Spares. Then again, he intends to make a lot of films. What happened to his Goodies movie?

+Quote Post
maian
post Mar 4 2008, 01:16 PM
Post #930

Bully for you

QUOTE (Sostie @ Mar 4 2008, 10:26 AM)
I think Spielberg bought the rights to, and intended to direct, Spares.  Then again, he intends to make a lot of films.  What happened to his Goodies movie?

Yeah, Dreamworks bought the rights not long after Spares was published but it languished in development for a few years and the rights expired. At which point The Island was released and, after deciding not to pursue legal action, Smith said that he didn't think a film version will ever be made.

+Quote Post

158 Pages V  « < 60 61 62 63 64 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 03:12 PM