Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Books 2nd Edition, Foreword by m0r1arty
jem
post Mar 18 2008, 07:07 AM
Post #946

Addict

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,332

Obasan by Joy Kogawa. So beautiful. Very poetic, but intense and painfully sad. Now my second favorite book after DUNE.

A reminder of our past and how much we are capable of hate.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ipse dixit
post Mar 18 2008, 10:15 AM
Post #947

Fallon

Member No.: 2,946

I've just read Wuthering Heights. They're all a bunch of bastards, aren't they? I can't see why people would name their children after Heathcliff. My sympathy runs out pretty quickly and the great romance gives way to nothing but vicious misery. Still I rather enjoyed it. Been ages since I've read something worthy and literary like.

+Quote Post
sweetbutinsane
post Mar 18 2008, 08:39 PM
Post #948

Be careful what you fish for

Member No.: 3,331

QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 17 2008, 07:35 PM)
Neverwhere is a very good book as well, and it works far better than the TV series.

On the Pratchett side of things, if you liked The Colour of Magic I'd suggest reading through the rest in order starting with The Light Fantastic as it is a direct sequel to TCoM.

If you want to skip ahead a few books I've always thought Mort, Guards! Guards! and Wyrd Sisters are good starting places.

I am really, really enjoying Neverwhere so far. I almost refused to go into Maths after my hour break because I was sitting reading it and didn't want to put it down. laugh.gif

I think I'll try The Light Fantastic next then. That is, if my local library has it...

+Quote Post
bigfatrich
post Mar 19 2008, 09:24 AM
Post #949

Daddy Cool

Member No.: 5,022

Can anyone help me, please? I'm after the name of the short (children's) story which, IIR, has a repeated line "give me back my hand". It's about a guy who's in bed and hears a noise. Sorry for the vague description.

+Quote Post
Lucky Jackson
post Mar 19 2008, 03:43 PM
Post #950

Two Pinter

Member No.: 4,876

QUOTE (bigfatrich @ Mar 19 2008, 09:24 AM)
Can anyone help me, please? I'm after the name of the short (children's) story which, IIR, has a repeated line "give me back my hand".  It's about a guy who's in bed and hears a noise.  Sorry for the vague description.

Is it definitely 'give me back my hand'? I recall something similar with 'Who's got my toe?' Also about somebody in bed hearing a noise, and the line is repeated. I couldn't tell you where from though, sorry.

+Quote Post
bigfatrich
post Mar 19 2008, 04:11 PM
Post #951

Daddy Cool

QUOTE (Lucky Jackson @ Mar 19 2008, 03:43 PM)
Is it definitely 'give me back my hand'? I recall something similar with 'Who's got my toe?' Also about somebody in bed hearing a noise, and the line is repeated. I couldn't tell you where from though, sorry.

It could be that as using Google on "give me back my hand" only brings up Evil Dead links!

+Quote Post
ipse dixit
post Mar 19 2008, 05:13 PM
Post #952

Fallon

Member No.: 2,946

I know the story you mean, but I didn't realise it had a name. Thought it was just a campfire ghost story.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Mar 19 2008, 05:26 PM
Post #953

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,309

QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Mar 18 2008, 10:15 AM)
I've just read Wuthering Heights. They're all a bunch of bastards, aren't they? I can't see why people would name their children after Heathcliff. My sympathy runs out pretty quickly and the great romance gives way to nothing but vicious misery. Still I rather enjoyed it. Been ages since I've read something worthy and literary like.

They're a pair of cnuts.

I much prefer the Tess style of romance, all self-sacrifice and big milky jugs.

+Quote Post
bigfatrich
post Mar 19 2008, 05:32 PM
Post #954

Daddy Cool

QUOTE (Zoe @ Mar 19 2008, 05:26 PM)
They're a pair of cnuts.

I much prefer the Tess style of romance, all self-sacrifice and big milky jugs.

Hardy was talking about her eyes when referring to "huge orbs", right?

+Quote Post
Raven
post Mar 19 2008, 06:29 PM
Post #955

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ Mar 18 2008, 08:39 PM)
I am really, really enjoying Neverwhere so far. I almost refused to go into Maths after my hour break because I was sitting reading it and didn't want to put it down. laugh.gif

I think I read it pretty quickly myself, and I must give that another go at some point.

As for Pratchett, after you have finished with The Light Fantastic, the next book - Equal Rites - features one of the Discworld's best characters - Granny Weatherwax!

Ah, to be starting all over once again!

+Quote Post
Raven
post Mar 21 2008, 09:36 AM
Post #956

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

I've recently finished reading After Dark by Japanese author Haruki Murakami.

I've not read any of his books before, and ended up picking this up after becoming intrigued by the cover synopsis whilst trying to find a book to pad out a Waterstone's three-for-two offer.

The story takes place between midnight and dawn and tells of a girl called Mari and of her relationship with her sister Eri, who has been in an unnaturally deep sleep for the past two months. It's not very long, and is fairly gentle in the way it is told, but it has an intensity to it that makes you want to read on.

I also like the way it describes the night life of a Japanese city, and it also has some interesting and memorable characters.

I liked it, especially the way it was written, and I will be looking up more of Murakami's books in the future.

+Quote Post
sweetbutinsane
post Mar 21 2008, 07:38 PM
Post #957

Be careful what you fish for

Member No.: 3,331

Finished reading Neverwhere yesterday and I absolutely loved it! I was actually kind of disappointed when I finished because I wanted there to be more. laugh.gif

I think I might go and buy American Gods now...

+Quote Post
maian
post Mar 21 2008, 07:44 PM
Post #958

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ Mar 21 2008, 07:38 PM)
I think I might go and buy American Gods now...

Very good book. Quite different in tone to Neverwhere and Stardust, though.

I finished The Lonely Dead by Michael Marshall. It wasn't as good as The Straw Men, probably because it's much less structured and kind of goes all over the place, it also sees one of the best characters from the first book become increasingly sidelined and undergoes a character transformation that I, personally, did not like. Still, Marshall brings his usual wit, biting social commentary and sense of humour and things go along at a very quick pace. It's just a shame that it didn't live up to its predecessor.

+Quote Post
maian
post Mar 24 2008, 02:00 PM
Post #959

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

Over two days I ploughed through Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay, and what a marvellously bloody (or bloodless) romp it was. I liked the fact that it was much leaner than the TV series, focusing more on Dexter's search for the Tamiami Killer than on his relationship with his foster father and only occasionally taking a detour allowing for Dexter to kill other serial killers. I understand that the TV series had to pad out the basic story somewhat, but a lot of the stuff that irks me about it were handled much better in the novel. Great stuff.

+Quote Post
curtinparloe
post Mar 25 2008, 04:08 AM
Post #960

All out of mercy today.

Member No.: 4,706

Bought a book on low budget film making by Josh Becker (worked on Evil Dead). More money I don't have.

+Quote Post

158 Pages V  « < 62 63 64 65 66 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 01:46 PM