Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Podcasts, any recommendations?
Chapman Baxter
post Sep 21 2006, 09:34 AM
Post #1

The sick product of a crazy society

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,263

I've discovered that podcasts are a great way to keep me entertained during my daily commute. I'm often not in the mood for music, but a bit of comic banter always goes down well, and helps shut out the awfulness of the underground.

I've enjoyed the Ricky Gervais podcasts (which should by rights be called the Karl Pilkington show) and must have looked like a loon this morning sniggering away to Adam & Joe. Does anybody have any other favourites they would recommend?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stink_Palm
post Sep 21 2006, 09:53 AM
Post #2

Two Pinter

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,456

The only other one I listen to is Comic Geek Speak, but it depends if you like comic books or not.

+Quote Post
PrincessKate
post Sep 21 2006, 10:14 AM
Post #3

Smut by the Sea

Member No.: 2,387

The Russell Brand 6 Music podcasts are pretty great, although that depends on whether you like him or not.

+Quote Post
Stella MM
post Sep 21 2006, 05:12 PM
Post #4

Cursing. Ladies. Dancing. And pleasure.

Member No.: 2,284

There's a real lack of good comedy podcasts aside from A&J and Ricky G. At least, I can't see any more I want to listen to in the iTunes shop.

I wish the BBC would do some Radio 4 or BBC7 comedy podcasts. 15 minutes from each show or something like that would be great.

+Quote Post
Igmeister
post Sep 21 2006, 07:55 PM
Post #5

Don't ever get a cat.

Member No.: 3,736

Mark Kemode's film reviews are on the Five Live page if you like that sort of thing.

+Quote Post
thirtyhelens
post Sep 21 2006, 08:30 PM
Post #6

Toasty

Member No.: 2,939

Not sure if the UK version of iTunes carries any NPR programming from the States - I'd think they would, seeing as how we get Ad&Joe, Kermode and the rest - but there are several there worth checking out:

- Harry Shearer's "Le Show" is a grand 50min-hour of political commentary and satire.

- "Morning Becomes Eclectic" with Nic Harcourt is a fine music program that has really good guests often.

- "The Treatment" with Elvis Mitchell (film discussion) is worth a look; I'm not a fan of him as an interviewer, but he does often get great guests. Altman was on recently.

+Quote Post
bristle-krs
post Sep 21 2006, 09:17 PM
Post #7

Guests

QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Sep 21 2006, 09:30 PM)
- Harry Shearer's "Le Show" is a grand 50min-hour of political commentary and satire. 

bit of a slowburn for me - at first i was expecting 'spinal tap'-like guffaws, but once you get over that and realise it's a fairly level-headed, intelligent "what's going on in the world?" conversation with the listener, it's very enjoyable. his coverage of the post-katrina nola flood political farrago has been fascinating.

related to the new orleans thing, florida-based producer/dj/musical nomad diplo (he of the m.i.a. collaborations) does a great show called 'mad decent worldwide radio' - including an astounding show from new orleans with various bounce/dirty south hip hop/new orleans brass musicians blended together in one musical message of defiance and human resilience.

radio clash started out as a bootleg/mashup podcast, but has grgown into something much more: tim presents excellent music from past present & future, talks passionately, treats the audience and the artists with respect (but not reverence), and does the odd on-the-spot report...

similarly bristol's wobcast grew out of the 'west of bastard' bootleg night, but now lumpy, andrewherring & juxtaposeur have developed the music policy a little wider - ragga jungle, breakcore, ambient touches, the odd cover version, more psychedelic stuff, indie classics, and, well, much much more - and enveloped it with thoroughly listenable banter about the music. a real treat cool.gif

and if you want pure mashup deliciousness, look no further than the weekly ramdom thoughts, hosted with aplomb by scott over in essex - meticulously selecting the best new boots as well as a few classics, and usually ending with a nice long slice of a bastard pop mix courtesy of guest dj's...

finally, another bb i'm on decided we'd start our own little radio station to keep each other amused... there's a bunch of us now each with our own shows, and we collect them all together on one - coolest radio. myspace music, bootlegs, film music, covers, breakcore, breaks, spoken word... a bit of everything really biggrin.gif

anyhow, i could bang on about loads more but my fingers ache, so i'll just mention a few and let you google them wink.gif

jarvcast
i motor away
yeast radio
radio three sixty
resonance
wmfu
sri radio sweden
budtheweiser

happy hunting cool.gif

This post has been edited by bristle-krs: Sep 21 2006, 09:17 PM

+Quote Post
PrincessKate
post Sep 21 2006, 09:18 PM
Post #8

Smut by the Sea

Member No.: 2,387

QUOTE (Stella MM @ Sep 21 2006, 06:12 PM)
There's a real lack of good comedy podcasts aside from A&J and Ricky G. At least, I can't see any more I want to listen to in the iTunes shop.

I wish the BBC would do some Radio 4 or BBC7 comedy podcasts. 15 minutes from each show or something like that would be great.

They had The Now Show available, but nothing else.

+Quote Post
bristle-krs
post Sep 21 2006, 09:18 PM
Post #9

Guests

oh, and 'the spoilers' do great geeky alternative dvd commentary podcasts laugh.gif

+Quote Post
bristle-krs
post Sep 21 2006, 09:19 PM
Post #10

Guests

QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Sep 21 2006, 10:18 PM)
They had The Now Show available, but nothing else.

it's only an experiment for the beeb at the moment - a few news progs, the now show, kermode, a bbc7 kids' programme... i think they're appraising it all in december?

+Quote Post
bristle-krs
post Sep 21 2006, 09:23 PM
Post #11

Guests

oh, and the 'dawn & drew show' is just rather nice, a couple talking about, well, anything really. they're up to their 408th show at last count i think! ohmy.gif

(she has a dirty mouth too huh.gif biggrin.gif )

+Quote Post
thirtyhelens
post Sep 21 2006, 09:25 PM
Post #12

Toasty

Member No.: 2,939

QUOTE (bristle-krs @ Sep 21 2006, 01:17 PM)
bit of a slowburn for me - at first i was expecting 'spinal tap'-like guffaws, but once you get over that and realise it's a fairly level-headed, intelligent "what's going on in the world?" conversation with the listener, it's very enjoyable. his coverage of the post-katrina nola flood political farrago has been fascinating.

Yes, good point - anyone expecting "Tap" like shenanigans is going to be disappointed. But he's very passionate about covering stories with a depth they don't get treated in the mainstream press, humorous and otherwise. (The Katrina stuff is personal for him, he has a home in Nawlins.)

+Quote Post
bristle-krs
post Sep 21 2006, 09:39 PM
Post #13

Guests

oh, and 'saturday night with the who boys' is a new-ish show which is essentially listening to a bunch of people get gradually more and more pissed as they listen to music, ramble on, have arguments, get visited by friends and phone for taxis biggrin.gif

it's better than i make that sound wink.gif

http://thewhoboys.podomatic.com/

+Quote Post
bristle-krs
post Sep 21 2006, 09:46 PM
Post #14

Guests

macbreak
twit
this week in media
roughmix
lofi stories
how to lose friends & alienate people (toby young)
bristolbands.com
french maid tv ( wacko.gif )
aol music - the interface (surprisingly good - a bit of an interview & a live session track or two)

avoid: little britain's david walliams, olde english sketch comedy...

+Quote Post
mousespider
post Sep 22 2006, 01:52 AM
Post #15

Dr. Mrs. Claus

Member No.: 5,408

I like Nowhere in mulberry, which is an entertainment podcast with 4 friends talking about what's new in entertainment. http://www.nimpodcast.blogspot.com

Also Movies You Should See is a nice British movie review podcast.

+Quote Post

12 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 01:22 PM