IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BEST (& WORST) ALBUMS OF 2006, What were they then?
maian
post Dec 19 2006, 11:56 AM
Post #46

Bully for you

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,498

Best Music Website Ever™ Pitchfork Media have posted their list of the best albums of the year here.

Some interesting choices.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jinx
post Dec 19 2006, 12:28 PM
Post #47

Four Pinter

Member No.: 2,974

QUOTE (maian @ Dec 19 2006, 12:56 PM)
Best Music Website Ever™ Pitchfork Media have posted their list of the best albums of the year here.

Some interesting choices.

Yeah, I've seen that. Not sure I agree with all of it, but it was nice to see Scott Walker, Boris, Joanna Newsom and Liars make the top 10. Oh, and TV On The Radio, but they were always gonna be there.

This post has been edited by Jinx: Dec 19 2006, 12:29 PM

+Quote Post
Stella MM
post Dec 21 2006, 03:14 PM
Post #48

Cursing. Ladies. Dancing. And pleasure.

Member No.: 2,284

QUOTE (Shack @ Dec 8 2006, 04:35 PM)
Albums by The Research, The Organ, The Long Blondes, Morrissey, Forward Russia, The Futureheads, The Sunshine Underground and The Spinto Band have all warmed my cockles very muchly.

I've only just bought Someone to Drive You Home but it's definitely in my top three. I love that it sounds like 1997 all over again; Giddy Stratospheres makes me want to dig out my glitter eyeshadow, line my eyes with black and shimmy round a cider-soaked carpet in the local indie dive.

+Quote Post
maian
post Dec 21 2006, 03:18 PM
Post #49

Bully for you

QUOTE (Stella MM @ Dec 21 2006, 03:14 PM)
I've only just bought Someone to Drive You Home but it's definitely in my top three. I love that it sounds like 1997 all over again; Giddy Stratospheres makes me want to dig out my glitter eyeshadow, line my eyes with black and shimmy round a cider-soaked carpet in the local indie dive.

''Giddy Statospheres'' is a great tune to dance to in clubs, especially since it always gets played twice as fast and sounds quite mental.

I'd like to add Damaged by Lambchop to my list in place of Sufjan Stevens. A wonderful record full of beautiful songs, much like the rest of their albums.

+Quote Post
MissingPlanet
post Dec 22 2006, 12:16 AM
Post #50

Don't Call The Dustman

Member No.: 3,316

Having read Pitchfork's reviews of some of my favourite records I'm not very trusting of their opinions, but at least that least has let me know that Mission Of Burma are back together and recording again. Unfortunately The Obliterati probably won't arrive until next year.

+Quote Post
Rebus
post Dec 22 2006, 10:47 AM
Post #51

ЯR

Member No.: 5,395

Indeed, bits and pieces of their list are a bit dodgy, if I would ever dream of listening to it, I would imagine I'd disagree with their inclusion of Justin Timberlake. Aside from TV on the Radio obviously, (top five best gigs of 2006 certainly), I'd have to include Bob Dylan's Modern Times, Coldcut's Sound Mirrors, and Kid Koala's Your Mom's Favourite DJ. I'd love to include DJ Shadow's The Outsider but I just can't bring myself to. I don't entirely like it. I cannot fault ANY of previous material but this album feels a little bit like an itch that I can't scratch, kind of annoying but one can live with it.

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Dec 22 2006, 04:19 PM
Post #52

Better to reign in hell...

Member No.: 2,676

I'm rather hoping I can add Blood Mountain by Mastodon to my list. I just haven't heard it yet, bloody christmas present.

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Dec 25 2006, 01:15 PM
Post #53

Better to reign in hell...

Member No.: 2,676

QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Dec 22 2006, 04:19 PM)
I'm rather hoping I can add Blood Mountain by Mastodon to my list. I just haven't heard it yet, bloody christmas present.

Ok, halfway through the album now I think it's pretty safe to do so. This is bloody brilliant stuff. The drumming sounds very much like that from The Dillinger Escape Plan.

+Quote Post
Gimp
post Dec 25 2006, 02:50 PM
Post #54

Grrrrr

Member No.: 3,542

I've bought quite a few albums in the last few months, but the one I keep coming back to is The Chronicles Of A Bohemian Teenager by Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly Intense and quiet at the same time.

+Quote Post
SkipToTheEnd
post Dec 25 2006, 03:53 PM
Post #55

Young Roberts could not face another moussaka

Member No.: 3,477

dont have the album, but ive heard several songs and The Knife's "Silent Shout" seems pretty wicked...

+Quote Post
baking
post Dec 27 2006, 10:12 PM
Post #56

Two Pinter

Member No.: 5,871

brilliant album.

+Quote Post
Ade
post Jan 3 2007, 01:39 AM
Post #57

Ade Flanders

Group: Senior Moderators
From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

QUOTE (maian @ Dec 21 2006, 03:18 PM)
I'd like to add Damaged by Lambchop to my list in place of Sufjan Stevens. A wonderful record full of beautiful songs, much like the rest of their albums.

That's news to me, I didn't realise Lambchop had a new one out, so thanks for the heads-up on that. I haven't got their earlier stuff, but their Nixon and Awww C'mon, No You C'mon are just sublime.

+Quote Post
luvmusic
post Jan 3 2007, 02:09 PM
Post #58

Guests

QUOTE (SkipToTheEnd @ Dec 25 2006, 03:53 PM)
dont have the album, but ive heard several songs and The Knife's "Silent Shout" seems pretty wicked...

It's not too bad, the title track is the stand out.

+Quote Post
maian
post Jan 3 2007, 05:59 PM
Post #59

Bully for you

QUOTE (Ade @ Jan 3 2007, 01:39 AM)
That's news to me, I didn't realise Lambchop had a new one out, so thanks for the heads-up on that. I haven't got their earlier stuff, but their Nixon and Awww C'mon, No You C'mon are just sublime.

Aye, it came out in September or October I think to rave reviews but didn't really get much attention outside of the music press. It's more low-key than some of their other LPs, most notably the two you mentioned, but it's no less lovely for it. I picked it up for 7 quid a few weeks back so I imagine it'll still be quite cheap.

+Quote Post
Ade
post Jan 6 2007, 08:02 PM
Post #60

Ade Flanders

Group: Senior Moderators
From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

Cheers Ed, I'll keep a look-out for it.

QUOTE (SkipToTheEnd @ Dec 25 2006, 03:53 PM)
...and The Knife's "Silent Shout" seems pretty wicked...

It's good, to be sure, but I much prefer its predecessor Deep Cuts.

This post has been edited by Ade: Jan 6 2007, 08:04 PM

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 05:10 PM