Closed TopicStart new topic
> Computer games IV, 10 minute break every hour
Gimp
post Dec 13 2006, 01:26 PM
Post #1

Grrrrr

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,542

Empy, a good RTS game is Medieval II: Total War. It's my first experience of the Total War series, and while I had no idea what I was doing to start with I really love it now (perhaps too much).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sir_Robin_the_br...
post Dec 13 2006, 01:30 PM
Post #2

Allow me to hold your face under the putrescent waters of knowle

Member No.: 3,662

After completing Resident Evil 2 six times on the bounce, I finally finished both 'sides' of the game with 1hr 40 and 2hr 04 clear times respectively. Never thought I'd actually managed those A rankings. I realise this will probably not be of much interest to anyone but I'm happy and I want to share.

I'll probably get back to Half Life 2 next, as I stopped halfway through.

+Quote Post
empathy-with-bea...
post Dec 13 2006, 01:34 PM
Post #3

Early 80's Tom Hanks

Member No.: 4,536

QUOTE (Gimp @ Dec 13 2006, 01:26 PM)
Empy, a good RTS game is Medieval II: Total War. It's my first experience of the Total War series, and while I had no idea what I was doing to start with I really love it now (perhaps too much).

And that's not just harvesting resources and then attacking people with a massive army that you had cleverly hidden up until that point?

To reiterate my question from the closed thread, it was:

I want to get a new RTS game for the PC.

I really don't want to get another which, however delightful the game universe is, is basically a "build and rush" game.

It can't be Warhammer Mark of Chaos.

Any suggestions?

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post Dec 13 2006, 01:36 PM
Post #4

Cent Dix-Sept

Member No.: 2,258

QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ Dec 13 2006, 10:30 PM)
After completing Resident Evil 2 six times on the bounce, I finally finished both 'sides' of the game with 1hr 40 and 2hr 04 clear times respectively. Never thought I'd actually managed those A rankings. I realise this will probably not be of much interest to anyone but I'm happy and I want to share.

I'll probably get back to Half Life 2 next, as I stopped halfway through.

That's pretty nippy indeed! I've never been one to do the speed times for any of the Resident Evil games - it's too much like hard work, and I'd have to do the same sections over and over again to shave off those valuable seconds.

+Quote Post
Sir_Robin_the_br...
post Dec 13 2006, 01:39 PM
Post #5

Allow me to hold your face under the putrescent waters of knowle

Member No.: 3,662

QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Dec 13 2006, 01:36 PM)
That's pretty nippy indeed! I've never been one to do the speed times for any of the Resident Evil games - it's too much like hard work, and I'd have to do the same sections over and over again to shave off those valuable seconds.

The first time is only 20 minutes off the record time, but I doubt I could ever achieve that the guy that did it got an S rank (no saves and you can only heal once) I really don't think I could do that without going insane.

I think I may need help as it is.

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Dec 13 2006, 01:40 PM
Post #6

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Dec 13 2006, 02:34 PM)
And that's not just harvesting resources and then attacking people with a massive army that you had cleverly hidden up until that point?

I really don't want to get another which, however delightful the game universe is, is basically a "build and rush" game.

Any suggestions?

No, the Total War series of games are all much smarter than that, taking into account troop tiredness, capabilities against different troop types, flank charges, army morale etc. It can be absolutely bastard hard, but at the same time it can be incredibly rewarding to defeat a numerically superior army through superior tactics.

+Quote Post
Gimp
post Dec 13 2006, 01:46 PM
Post #7

Grrrrr

QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Dec 13 2006, 01:34 PM)

Any suggestions?

Um... don't all RTS games involve collecting resources and building armies, though? At least Med II is more involved than the usual 'collect Spice, build tanks' (or whichever resource and unit you care to mention).

I want to play Dune 2 now.

+Quote Post
empathy-with-bea...
post Dec 13 2006, 01:54 PM
Post #8

Early 80's Tom Hanks

Member No.: 4,536

QUOTE (Gimp @ Dec 13 2006, 01:46 PM)
Um... don't all RTS games involve collecting resources and building armies, though? At least Med II is more involved than the usual 'collect Spice, build tanks' (or whichever resource and unit you care to mention).
I want to play Dune 2 now.

No, my favourite game of all time, Warhammer: Dark Omen was a game where you had an army on a field and that was what you fought with although you could repair it between games. I like games like that rather than ones where part of the "real time" part of the real time strategy is spent building stuff. I don't like part of my strategy being wondering if I've built as much stuff as I possibly can. It's why I got bored of Dawn of War.

This post has been edited by empathy-with-beast: Dec 13 2006, 01:55 PM

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Dec 13 2006, 03:14 PM
Post #9

Better to reign in hell...

Member No.: 2,676

I had a go on that Totem Ball game earlier, the live arcade game which you control with the camera. It's absolutely bloody awful. Horrifically poor control system where you have to keep your arms out at all times, so they get absolutely knackered to the point of pain. If you put your arms down it throws your character into reverse and usually results in death.

On a more positive note, been playing Rainbow Six Vegas, which is bloody excellent so far. It's pretty repetitive, but it hasn't really bothered me so far. My only problem with it really is that it's just not a Rainbow Six game, in my opinion. It's very good, but for me, Rainbow Six was always about having a large team (you never seem to have more than two squad members in vegas), and coordinating everything perfectly. In vegas there's no planning stage. Also in previous Rainbow Six games (on the PC at least), your team mates seemed ultra professional, in vegas they're always coming out with lines like "anyone keeping score?" which spoils it a bit for me.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Dec 13 2006, 03:26 PM
Post #10

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Dec 13 2006, 02:54 PM)
No, my favourite game of all time, Warhammer: Dark Omen was a game where you had an army on a field and that was what you fought with although you could repair it between games.  I like games like that rather than ones where part of the "real time" part of the real time strategy is spent building stuff. I don't like part of my strategy being wondering if I've built as much stuff as I possibly can. It's why I got bored of Dawn of War.

Medieval2: Total war is for you.

+Quote Post
Jubei
post Dec 13 2006, 03:45 PM
Post #11

Meow

Member No.: 2,416

QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Dec 13 2006, 02:54 PM)
No, my favourite game of all time, Warhammer: Dark Omen was a game where you had an army on a field and that was what you fought with although you could repair it between games.  I like games like that rather than ones where part of the "real time" part of the real time strategy is spent building stuff. I don't like part of my strategy being wondering if I've built as much stuff as I possibly can. It's why I got bored of Dawn of War.

What about this new Halo Wars game? I know it's a long way off and probably 360 exclusive - although it may get a Windows release too one day. Actually as a suggestion it's pretty poor. But, the premise is you're leading the contingent from one escaped cruiser in a battle against covenant forces. Suggests limited resources that should already be available, rather than requiring you to build troops and vehicles prior to one anti-climactic 'wiping clean' of the field. I'm certainly looking forward to it, wlthough what the time-frame is I don't know. To keep it realistic you could hardly grow and train troops from ore. You've got what you've got and once they're dead they're gone. Also, being made by the makers of Age of Empires. I've not played it but I believe it's fairly respected isn't it?

QUOTE (Ensemble Studios)
Players will lead the crew of the UNSC’s “Spirit of Fire” from initial skirmishes to an all out war against the evil Covenant.

+Quote Post
Omniscia
post Dec 13 2006, 04:44 PM
Post #12

Candygram!

Member No.: 2,452

Yeah, I just picked up Medieval: Total War, and, so far, while it may not look as pretty as the Medieval II: Total War demo does, it's a very nice game. I just wish I knew what I was doing! I know what I'd like to do, but my units don't seem to listen very well...

Also, there are too many factions out there trying to ally with me. I'm trying to conquer northern Europe, damn it! I don't need everybody and his brother trying to be my friend!

There must be more to the diplomatic side of things than just "Do you dig this dude, or no?"

Man, I wish someone would adapt the Lord of the Rings edition of Risk for the PC. My board has been gathering dust for far too long, and the nerds at the game store downtown scare me.

+Quote Post
Gimp
post Dec 13 2006, 05:05 PM
Post #13

Grrrrr

QUOTE (Omniscia @ Dec 13 2006, 04:44 PM)
Also, there are too many factions out there trying to ally with me. I'm trying to conquer northern Europe, damn it! I don't need everybody and his brother trying to be my friend!

Yes you do. Then you can relax a bit and stab them in the back at your leisure.

+Quote Post
Omniscia
post Dec 13 2006, 07:18 PM
Post #14

Candygram!

Member No.: 2,452

Backstabbing isn't my style, though... I suppose I can give it a shot.

+Quote Post
Simsydav
post Dec 13 2006, 07:47 PM
Post #15

Daddy Cool

Member No.: 3,268

I got mediveal total war 2 yesterday. Its really sweet, but I cant really do it very well.

I was portugal, and I made allies with the moors and portugal, and I was asked to go on a crusade, so I got a medium sized army ready (all I could really field) and sent them on the crusade, but by the time I got to the alps, a load of them started getting bored and ran off and left me, to go and fight the crusades by themselves.

After loosing all my cavalary and good troops, so I only have a few units of peasants (I tried to make the crusade army as fast as possible and didnt really have the money to avoid having peasants), I decided to turn back, so I left the crusade, but then they fucking ran off. Then I got to france, and I was allied with them, and then they fucking attacked me, when I only had my gerneral unit.

I had like 20 heavy knights, they had an army of about 600, so I moved myself into the woods on tehyre flank, and charged a group of them, I killed about 70 of them, but then I lost all of my cavalry. It was an unprovoked attack. Then Portugal attacked me, I kicked theyre arse, and attacked theyre only city after that. Fucks sake.

I dont really know how to make mony either, aside from making a market and roads.

+Quote Post

100 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 03:55 PM