Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Generic Star Trek, The Contractual Obligation Thread
Starscream`s Gho...
post Oct 15 2007, 10:04 AM
Post #226

Alley Viper

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,024

QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Oct 14 2007, 08:11 PM)
Let us know how that goes. wink.gif  Agreed on that one particular line, it's crap.  Most of the other goofy one-liners, though, I absolutely loved.  It's got a supreme supporting cast in Cromwell, Woodard and Krige, and does a lovely job weaving Trek lore (the Zephrim Cochrane story) into a TNG framework.

On the other hand, it did aid the creation of Enterprise...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Raven
post Oct 15 2007, 10:38 AM
Post #227

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE (NiteFall @ Oct 15 2007, 10:48 AM)
Well, I got the Next Gen boxset that I bought for cheap off eBay, and it seems quite decent. It's a bit basic with no real extras and everything just being in a big disk wallet in a fancy box, but it's all there and a random sampling of disks have all worked. All in all not bad at all for 48.

Sounds like a big good buy! (sorry . . .).

I'm still stuck in the middle of the fifth season - the double-whammy of New Ground and Hero Worship has stalled my progress.

I may have a crack at it tonight as my Spider-man 3 DVD hasn't turned up . . .

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Oct 15 2007, 10:43 AM
Post #228

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

QUOTE (NiteFall @ Oct 14 2007, 09:22 PM)
Apparently there was a scene scripted but not filmed for First Contact where Picard and the Borg Queen talk about how secretly Picard wants to become Locutus again because he liked it on some level. Not sure what that brings to it, just thought I'd mention it.

Thanks for reminding me, I knew there was a reason I didn't like First Contact. Because they fucked up the whole idea of the Borg....

+Quote Post
Starscream`s Gho...
post Oct 15 2007, 02:42 PM
Post #229

Alley Viper

Member No.: 3,024

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Oct 15 2007, 11:43 AM)
Thanks for reminding me, I knew there was a reason I didn't like First Contact. Because they fucked up the whole idea of the Borg....

That they're poor Cybermen rip-offs?

That resistance hasn't ever been futile?

+Quote Post
Raven
post Oct 15 2007, 03:34 PM
Post #230

Space Cowboy

With a bit of creative editing [no content has been changed!] I've moved all of the generic Trek film chat from the Star Trek XI thread to here.

The Borg went tit's up when they gave them a face (Hugh in I Borg).

To be fair, I think they pretty much had to have the Borg Queen - or similar - in First Contact to give a general cinema audience a point of reference for them.

The only other time I think they had the same amount of menace as they did in Q Who and The Best of Both Worlds was, surprisingly, in the Enterprise episode Regeneration (forget the Dr Phlox healing himself of Borg Nanites, bit, the rest of it was jolly good, and really rather tense!).

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Oct 15 2007, 11:58 PM
Post #231

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

Well, on further investigation (Wikipedia) it turns out that the DVD's I have are a common Asian bootleg. But it has to be said, it is a superior quality bootleg and as a result one that I am more than happy to own. Even if by purchasing it I've somehow funded international terrorism / the oppression of indigenous peoples / the evil conspiracy to enslave kittens and puppies and make them toil in the kebab mines, or whatever else it is that those unskippable bits at the start of DVDs say that I've funded.

+Quote Post
logger
post Oct 16 2007, 12:02 AM
Post #232

Guests

QUOTE (NiteFall @ Oct 16 2007, 12:58 AM)
Well, on further investigation (Wikipedia) it turns out that the DVD's I have are a common Asian bootleg. But it has to be said, it is a superior quality bootleg and as a result one that I am more than happy to own. Even if by purchasing it I've somehow funded international terrorism / the oppression of indigenous peoples / the evil conspiracy to enslave kittens and puppies and make them toil in the kebab mines, or whatever else it is that those unskippable bits at the start of DVDs say that I've funded.

Hey, pirates pay tax on the things they buy. You done good NiteFall, you done good.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Oct 16 2007, 12:56 AM
Post #233

QUOTE (NiteFall @ Oct 16 2007, 12:58 AM)

Mine are too

Does your set cut off the last couple of minutes on the last episode of each disc sometimes?

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Oct 16 2007, 01:06 AM
Post #234

Invader.

Not that I've spotted. Yet.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Oct 16 2007, 01:52 AM
Post #235

Actually, you'd probably have known straight away if you had mine on account of all the Chinese writing on the discs and "Star Trek 2" as the title. The contents are all fine though.

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Oct 16 2007, 06:04 PM
Post #236

Invader.

I've decided against working my way throuh the lot sequentially and ave decided to do themed watching. So I've been watching all the Q episodes starting with Encounter At Farpoint (which despite being a bit weak is still the best pilot of any of the Trek series in my opinion). I've just gotten as far as Q-Pid and have come to the conclusion that a Robin Hood series starring Patrick Stewart would be 12 types of awesome.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Oct 16 2007, 08:15 PM
Post #237

Space Cowboy

QUOTE (NiteFall @ Oct 16 2007, 07:04 PM)
... Encounter At Farpoint (which despite being a bit weak is still the best pilot of any of the Trek series in my opinion).

Yes, but it's a bit like saying, Well, a firing squad is a slightly better form of death than hanging . . . tongue.gif

I personally prefer The Emissary because it doesn't have all the cloying Imzadi sh*te between Troi and Riker, but it is a close run thing.

The Next Generation certainly had the best send off of any of the series, All Good Things was superb!

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Oct 16 2007, 09:00 PM
Post #238

Invader.

Well, it did also give us Q. Which automatically raises it several steps.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Oct 16 2007, 09:22 PM
Post #239

Space Cowboy

True, and John de Lancie is one of the better performers in that episode, but he's still no where near as rounded as he was in the later ones!

It is a shame Q never appeared in any of the films.

+Quote Post
m0r1arty
post Oct 16 2007, 10:02 PM
Post #240

Feel the Rainbow

From: Sitting between Civil Liberties and the Data Protection Act
Member No.: 3,341

QUOTE (Raven @ Oct 16 2007, 09:15 PM)
All Good Things was superb!

Five card stud, nothing wild... and the sky's the limit.

Brilliant ending to an excellent show (cept' Wesley)

-m0r

+Quote Post

23 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 18 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 06:18 AM