Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Generic Star Trek, The Contractual Obligation Thread
Raven
post Jun 1 2011, 10:31 PM
Post #286

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

Wil Wheaton's recap of the "Classic" Next Generation episode Justice - contains strong language!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zeden
post Jun 1 2011, 11:29 PM
Post #287

When doves cry

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,533

Have you listened to his Memories of the Futurecast podcast at all? I wish he'd get back to work on it, having not long ago watched TNG start to finish I really enjoyed the insight he brings from behind the scenes.

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Jun 2 2011, 01:55 PM
Post #288

OMNOMNOM

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 3,076

I loved those podcasts too - he did say he's working on the next installment, but understandably it takes a lot of time to do them.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Aug 24 2011, 08:37 PM
Post #289

Space Cowboy

New Star Trek TV series being pitched. If they find a Producer.

Not reading anything into this, it seems as tangible as smole at the moment, but I must admit that it brushed the interest button when I read the headline.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jan 13 2012, 01:23 PM
Post #290

Space Cowboy

Some of you may know that The Next Generation is being converted to HD, mainly for broadcast reasons (people don't want to be watching SD on their 48" tellys) but they are also being released on Blu-Ray was well.

A sampler disk will be released later this month, and here is a sample of what you can expect to see.

Looks pretty impressive to me, though it does make it obvious that the effects shots are models in places! The colour grading is much better than the washed out video you get in SD. I would imagine that the later seasons that were originally recorded on film instead of video will be even more impressive!

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Jan 13 2012, 01:52 PM
Post #291

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

Ooh, shiny. It'll be interesting to see how The Best Of Both Worlds fares under a shiny HD remastering, as it's long been a point of contention that they made a TON of really detailed miniatures for the Wolf 359 aftermath shots that weren't visible on screen because of the constraints of broadcast quality.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jan 13 2012, 02:07 PM
Post #292

Space Cowboy

Being able to see the detail in that shot would be good! (and may finally clear up the old argument about whether one of the destroyed ships was a constitution class!).

+Quote Post
Everlong
post Jan 15 2012, 03:16 PM
Post #293

Batman.

Member No.: 5,397

HD normally makes people look older (showing stuff up more, heh) but Q and Picard looked younger there.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jan 17 2012, 01:20 PM
Post #294

Space Cowboy

It's been quite a while since I last watched any episodes, but I started a re-watch of Enterprise last night as I got the first two series on DVD for Christmas.

I think the main thing that struck me whilst watching the feature length opener, Broken Bow, was just how juvenile it is in places for a show that is supposedly a bit more thoughtful.

The second episode was better, but thatís not saying a lot.

This could be a hard re-watch.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jan 20 2012, 02:22 PM
Post #295

Space Cowboy

I'm about half-way through the first series of Enterprise now, and it seems to be settling down (i.e. less juvenile than the pilot etc).

On the whole it's not that bad, but it's not that great, either.

The best episodes so far - by far - have been the Andorian and the temporal cold war episodes (in other words, the episodes that actually have some semblance of a plot!).

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Jan 20 2012, 02:54 PM
Post #296

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

QUOTE (Raven @ Jan 13 2012, 01:23 PM) *
Some of you may know that The Next Generation is being converted to HD, mainly for broadcast reasons (people don't want to be watching SD on their 48" tellys) but they are also being released on Blu-Ray was well.

A sampler disk will be released later this month, and here is a sample of what you can expect to see.

Looks pretty impressive to me, though it does make it obvious that the effects shots are models in places! The colour grading is much better than the washed out video you get in SD. I would imagine that the later seasons that were originally recorded on film instead of video will be even more impressive!

The Enterprise at the end there looks bloody incredible. It's things like this that make me consider getting a Blu-Ray drive for my PC.

I do think the box is naff, though. I'm a big fan of packaging (which is why I don't really like digital downloads), and having "The Next Level - A Taste of TNG in High Definition" is rubbish. Just call it Special Edition or 25th Anniversary Edition (it started in 1987, right?)

This post has been edited by GundamGuy_UK: Jan 20 2012, 02:56 PM

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jan 20 2012, 03:41 PM
Post #297

Space Cowboy

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Jan 20 2012, 02:54 PM) *
I do think the box is naff, though. I'm a big fan of packaging (which is why I don't really like digital downloads), and having "The Next Level - A Taste of TNG in High Definition" is rubbish. Just call it Special Edition or 25th Anniversary Edition (it started in 1987, right?)

Whilst I would agree that the title is a bit of a mouthful, it is just a sampler disk for the forthcoming HD conversions/Blu-Ray releases so it's neither a special or anniversary edition.

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Jan 20 2012, 04:26 PM
Post #298

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

So, Star Trek Online went free to play on Tuesday, so I thought I'd give it a bash and it's rather good atually. A nice balance between the away-team shooty stuff and the cruising about in your spaceship shooting stuff.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Jan 20 2012, 04:32 PM
Post #299

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

QUOTE (Raven @ Jan 20 2012, 03:41 PM) *
Whilst I would agree that the title is a bit of a mouthful, it is just a sampler disk for the forthcoming HD conversions/Blu-Ray releases so it's neither a special or anniversary edition.

I saw $14.99 and thought it was season one, forgetting how expensive Blu-Ray sets can be.

The upcoming Transformers: Prime season 1 set is $70 on Blu-Ray, and $25 on DVD. That's one of the main reasons I haven't upgraded, that and I don't think my TV is really big enough to see much difference with most things. I only own TNG on bootleg Chinese DVDs, so this set really appeals to me.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jan 20 2012, 05:24 PM
Post #300

Space Cowboy

QUOTE (NiteFall @ Jan 20 2012, 04:26 PM) *
So, Star Trek Online went free to play on Tuesday, so I thought I'd give it a bash and it's rather good atually. A nice balance between the away-team shooty stuff and the cruising about in your spaceship shooting stuff.

Yes, I've been trying to ignore this because I don't want to get sucked into another MMORPG! I may have to give it a try at some point, however.

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Jan 20 2012, 04:32 PM) *
I only own TNG on bootleg Chinese DVDs, so this set really appeals to me.

They are between £10 and £13 (per season) on Amazon at the moment.

+Quote Post

23 Pages V  « < 18 19 20 21 22 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 10:14 AM